Best engine for beginner?

Status
Not open for further replies.

korndog

Reaction score
Hi I'm planning on building a go kart very soon and was looking at engines. I need something that has a bit of power, easy to repair, has performance part available. Was planning on making a small single person kart. I was looking at Briggs and Stratton engines and tecumseh.

crazycart

RedNek Engineering
Reaction score
Best engine possible is the good old Briggs and Stratton 5HP Flathead. Dont use a tecumseh. They suck pretty bad lol...

zanegrey

zanegrey
Reaction score
the 5 hp b/s engine is easy to find and easy to get parts .
it is an easy engine to learn about and repair.

crazycart

RedNek Engineering
Reaction score
Okay, they dont suck, but they aren't that great. The 2 strokes seem good, but the 4 strokes i have dealt with are crap. Plus you cant get performance parts for them.

modelengineer

Lord of the noise
Reaction score
Yeah, Tecumseh 2-strokes are pretty decent. I have a REALLY old one and you can't kill it with a stick!

From what you asked I would say the 5hp flathead is best because of the availability of performance parts. That, or a bike motor. Actually, a bike motor would be the better choice as you get a gearbox but more work to set up (not more difficult).

Jerryburger

Admiral Annoy
Reaction score
May I throw my hat in on the Blue Terror? (HF 6.5hp). For the money it's the best out of the box new engine, and Honda GX 200 Hop-Up parts are out there for it. If you leave 'em box stock you still get plenty of performance for a single seat kart.
Used engine- wise, definitely the B/S 5hp!

2or3wheels

Reaction score
go with a flathead 5hp briggs. I like tecumsechs because the high speed needle on the bottom of the bowl is always why they dont run, all 5 of the ones ive had had that problem. take it out clear the hole and they runnn.

oscaryu1

Reaction score
Okay, they dont suck, but they aren't that great. The 2 strokes seem good, but the 4 strokes i have dealt with are crap. Plus you cant get performance parts for them.

The Tecumseh Snow King has a few performance parts.

I like karts

Rotary Power!
Reaction score

+1

All I've had is trouble with Tecumseh, whether it be dead ignition or fuel leaks to just general crappy reliability. Like he said too, there are NO performance parts for these almost at all

Russ2251

AZUSA:Powered by LAWN-BOY
Reaction score
Only time I ever had trouble with Tecumseh engines was when I used multi-grade oil. Especially 10w40. Some manuals specifically state not to use 10w40 or any other multi-grade.
There are exceptions.
I have always used straight SAE 30 detergent unless below freezing at which point I use SAE 20 detergent but is difficult to get and is not specifically recommended by engine manufacturers.

GoAlterBridge

Reaction score
I personally like Tecumseh. The only problem I've ever had with them is their ignition. Most of the ones I've owned have diaphragms, not floats. So no problem there. I really love Briggs, but Tecumseh is right up there, too.

Russ2251

AZUSA:Powered by LAWN-BOY
Reaction score
I personally like Tecumseh. The only problem I've ever had with them is their ignition. I really love Briggs, but Tecumseh is right up there, too.
:iagree:
Tecumseh's generally require a little more tweaking to get them right. It's been my experience that, in their stock configuration, Tecumseh's will outperform an equivalent Briggs. However, Briggs will outlast Tecumseh. My opinion.

Status
Not open for further replies.