Bearing Set Screw Burrs on Axle

Status
Not open for further replies.

bob58o

SuckSqueezeBangBlow
Reaction score
So if trying to remove a live axle and it doesn't want to slide through the bearings because there are burrs on the axle from the set screws of the bearings, how does one remove the burrs on the axle from the bearing set screws since the burrs are down inside the set screw holes?

Maybe the 4lb dead blow hammer isn't big enough?
I guess a rotary tool with small attachment to clean it up?

Also does anybody know how much wood a woodchuck chucks?

MTNSleder

😈 Snake ƘƖԼԼЄ&
Reaction score
I've got one of these for that Stuff.

itsid

Staff member
Reaction score
chances are you had a pointed set screw in your bearings...
if so, just install some flat tip set screws and tighten them (tight but not until you ruin the threads of course ;))
That done, the majority of the burr should've been flattened again.

If the bearings still doesn't move off the axle, then use a gear puller
(on INNER not the outer race!)

OR tap it off with a light mallet and patience (some lube always helps)
heating the bearing helps too ... (don't over do it though ~ 200°C max [whatever that is in frankfurters])

sledge hammer.. funny.. not practical, not applicable...
so no, do not try to punch the dimple back in, chances are you are not precise enough with any impact force and either have no effect or just make a bigger dimple right around it

And PLEASE Do not hit the bearing with a hammer, it'll not forgive, it'll not forget ;)

'sid

ezcome-ezgo

G'me sumthin to write on
Reaction score
Graceful, friendly persuasion.

A woodchuck does not chuck wood, even if a woodchuck could. But a woodchuck would and a woodchuck should if you piled the wood and piled it good. Now if you stood on the wood and were not misunderstood, the woodchuck could chuck the wood and deliver to your 'hood.

mckutzy

Reaction score
Every time I breakdown the bike... I have to deal with those little bumps...
File a flat, drill a dimple... Those are the ways I found help. Flat tip setscrews make less of a mark... At least the bearing will pass easier...

Randy H

Reaction score
https://harborfreight.com/automotive-motorcycle/pullers/bearing-separator-and-puller-set-62593.html

If you have room this should work good especially in conjunction with an impact wrench. If your bearing does move on the shaft I wouldn't bother with heat. You can beat pretty hard on a race as long as the balls aren't absorbing the impact, using a drift or pipe and BFH.

Bashing is much more effective when the axle is secured against an immovable object. The machine on its side with an appropriately placed block of wood or two perhaps.Maybe the bearing can be driven in one direction enough to clean up the burrs. Then effortlessly removed from the shaft.

bob58o

SuckSqueezeBangBlow
Reaction score
I've got one of these for that Stuff.

I tried the BFH when I first got this buggy. The Axle was solid aluminum and wouldn't budge. After a good beating and no progress, I cut the axle off and replaced it, along with the bearings and flangettes. I kept the old axle pieces to use a punch to push the new axle through the bearing. I'll let you know if it helps, once I get the end of the axle to the bearing.

This was an expensive 48" x 1.25" solid steel axle. $100+ from McMaster Carr IIRC. I can't afford to mess this one up. LOL

Ill get back at it in the morning to clean up the burrs and see if the PB Blaster has done anything for me.

If not i guess I'll still be using a cracked sprocket hub and bent sprocket.

Where's Eric? I need some good ole California Fury, or is it Texas Fury now?

bob58o

SuckSqueezeBangBlow
Reaction score
These are the set screws I was using in the bearings.
They seem to be the cupped type?
I thought they were flat. I honestly didn't know there were different types.

There are circular burrs on the axle in the four locations of the set screws. I'll look for flat end set screws and see if those will help. Then maybe a torch and thermometer?

A few days of PB blaster and the 4lb dead blow still have made no progress. I was set on moving the axle in a particular direction.

Not sure if a gear puller would work. I have lots of axle outside the bearing. Maybe I don't understand how the particular tool mentioned works. The puller I use for my flywheels won't reach.

Attachments

• IMG_0715.jpg
    IMG_0715.jpg
    54.4 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_0717.jpg
    IMG_0717.jpg
    315.3 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_0718.jpg
    IMG_0718.jpg
    251.5 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_0716.jpg
    IMG_0716.jpg
    572.9 KB · Views: 8

bob58o

SuckSqueezeBangBlow
Reaction score
Well that picture sure makes it look like the bearing is not perpendicular to the axle.
Should I loosen the the flangette bolts? Kind of scared to hit the axle with the bolts loose.

Whitetrashrocker

Inmate #952016
Reaction score
I'd take a drift punches and try to rotate the bearing to the keyway.
I also set my grub screws in the keyway as to add shear holding too.

Attachments

• IMG_20170622_134858.jpg
    IMG_20170622_134858.jpg
    237.3 KB · Views: 0

bob58o

SuckSqueezeBangBlow
Reaction score
How's that old adage go?

If it's only slightly broke, don't fix it. Wait for catastrophic failure first, then deal with pulling the axle.

GearHeadGarage

GearHeadGarage
Reaction score
I drill the spot for the set screw on the axle . 1/8" is enough. Holds better and the bearings will slid off every time.

Status
Not open for further replies.