B&S unknown need help with torque converter options.

Thall80

Reaction score
I picked up an old go kart and stripped it down. It's ready for paint. Made and welded up a hole new ackermann steering system and fabricated tie rods and spindles,knuckles. It's a 2 seater streaker year unknown. But it was $60. It had an old B&S engine dangling on it wen I picked it up. Engine looked pretty rough. But once I opened it up it's great. So I cleaned it inside and out cylinder and piston,head are in great shape now. Pained and bought a carb cleaned gas tank. Wasn't realy planning on useing it on the kart. Now my plans have changed. I ran the # through B&S not so user friendly web site and comes back nothing. I'm going to assume it's a 3.5hp but not sure. I haven't heard good thangs about a B&S 3.5 on a go kart so if I did use it what would be my options as far as a torque converter. The Engine # is
Model type code
92502 3104 01 84072606
I tried putting that in there system both ways with and without a zero starting at Model to make it 6 digits but didn't make a difference I'll attach some photos it would be great it I could use this little guy thanks.

Attachments

• 20220313_090603.jpg
    20220313_090603.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 10
  • 20220313_090713.jpg
    20220313_090713.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 10
  • 20220313_090638.jpg
    20220313_090638.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 10
  • 20220313_090731.jpg
    20220313_090731.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 8
  • 20220313_090638.jpg
    20220313_090638.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 9

Denny

Canned Monster
Reaction score
What is the diameter of the output shaft? If it is smaller than 3/4” there are no options. You will have to get a different engine. Sorry.

Denny

Canned Monster
Reaction score
Ok, you can’t do it the easy way so you got to do it the hard way. Go to the GoKart Supply website and read up on CVTs 30 series. Since you will not be able to use a back plate in that engine your going to have to use a jack shaft setup. But you need to read up on them.

jmaack

Reaction score
Buy a new side cover with mounting points and presto.

Attachments

• 16472012878826000252024385422784.jpg
    16472012878826000252024385422784.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 5

Thall80

Reaction score
Ok, you can’t do it the easy way so you got to do it the hard way. Go to the GoKart Supply website and read up on CVTs 30 series. Since you will not be able to use a back plate in that engine your going to have to use a jack shaft setup. But you need to read up on them.
Yeah I kept seeing those on Amazon when I was looking around. I'll have to read up on that because I was thanking the same thang. Now I could make a 1/8" plate that would catch 4 of my crank case housing bolts and place it out about a 1/2" the bolts are counter sunk and it would bring the plate rite to where my keyway tapers off going into the case. That would only leave me 1& 7/8" of shaft to play with. I know it's doable but will it work. Meanwhile I'm going to research CVTs 30 series. One more question what is that 1/2 threaded hole in the case to the right above the shaft there for?

madprofessor

"Loose Cannon Creations"
Reaction score

Thall80

Reaction score
Buy a new side cover with mounting points and presto.
Yeah I don't thank buying a new crank case cover for a 40 year old engine that biggs's own system can't seem to find isn't in the cards. Damn shame it's a strong good little engine. I'll come up with some kinds mod or find another engine and still mod it. These guys seem to won't brand new bolt rite up stuff. Takes all the fun out of a build

jmaack

Reaction score
Yeah I kept seeing those on Amazon when I was looking around. I'll have to read up on that because I was thanking the same thang. Now I could make a 1/8" plate that would catch 4 of my crank case housing bolts and place it out about a 1/2" the bolts are counter sunk and it would bring the plate rite to where my keyway tapers off going into the case. That would only leave me 1& 7/8" of shaft to play with. I know it's doable but will it work. Meanwhile I'm going to research CVTs 30 series. One more question what is that 1/2 threaded hole in the case to the right above the shaft there for?
the threaded hole has different uses. On tillers it sometimes holds a bracket that surrounds pulley with belt

jmaack

Reaction score
Yeah I don't thank buying a new crank case cover for a 40 year old engine that biggs's own system can't seem to find isn't in the cards. Damn shame it's a strong good little engine. I'll come up with some kinds mod or find another engine and still mod it. These guys seem to won't brand new bolt rite up stuff. Takes all the fun out of a build
any 3 or 3.5 cover should fit.

Thall80

Reaction score
Thanks man yeah that makes sence. I haven't a clue what it came off of like I said it whas bolted with one dangle bolt to the frame wen I bought it and the guy was like "u can have that to" so I don't have q clue if it was ever in action on the kart. He bought it and sold it without doing anything to it.

jmaack

Reaction score
Here is what I'm talking about. I've had a couple engines like that not knowing what they were from. 5hp cover though

Attachments

• 20220313_153147.jpg
    20220313_153147.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 6

Denny

Canned Monster
Reaction score
Easier and better just to make a jackshaft and make a plate type mount to fit under the engine and hold the jack shaft. You will need to find a belt to match your center to center distance. But if you would have looked and read that site you would already know that. But you seem smarter than me so I’ll just let you figure it out.

Thall80

Reaction score
O idk about that man I just have a lot of country boy ingenuity. I can build the **** out of a dirtbike,but this hole conversion and sprocket step up step down configurations is all new to me. And the price wow it's a hole lot cheaper to work on bikes. But at the same time I can make and fabricate more on the kart. So I don't wont to throw in the tow because all of this brain storming spit balling around is part of a build. But for the safety of my kids I might just go the preditor 6.5 rout I mainly don't thank this little 3.5 is going to grow an extreme amount of h.p even with a torque converter on a 2 seater and most of the time one of those being an adult. Probably save that little 3.5 for another mini bike. But thanks for all the help man

txluke

Reaction score
That blower housing is off of a vertical engine. If you look at the emblem you will notice that the words are upside down. Those numbers are of no use to you. That engine is more than likely a 3hp.

jmaack

Reaction score
That blower housing is off of a vertical engine. If you look at the emblem you will notice that the words are upside down. Those numbers are of no use to you. That engine is more than likely a 3hp.
good eye. I'd still send it though.

Thall80

Reaction score
Yeah it looked like a hunk of crap wen I got it but I opend her up and it looked great. Cylender wall,piston. Even got it running with the old carb. The tank was bad rust and junk. I stipped it down eched it did the 2 toned on the housing and some red tractor paint I had looked close enough to B&S'n $30 a can of patented red paint. New pull cord,spring,carb,plug. She is Purdy but just don't thank it's gona pull a 2 seater 1 child 1 adult on 15" tires. I'm thanking of making a smaller 1 seater for my son he's 8 and putting it on it for him do a spider-man theme lol