Hey everybody! Remember this guy?

I haven't had much time to do anything yet, however I did want to get this restoration thread started and ask a couple of questions.
The first is this bend in the frame, how would you suggest I straighten it? I can think of a couple possibilities using maybe a bottle jack or twisting a nylon strap, but if there is a tried and true way, let me know!

Up next are these 2 cut/weld to raise the cage, I believe it was to accommodate the briggs. Anybody know if the briggs was factory? If not, what was? Anyway, I like the lift to the top of the frame, I think it adds to the retro look. But I don't like these 2:


I'd like to cut them out, grind what's there to a point on either end, and weld something 'in-line' back in, the same diameter.
Here's that cage lift, presented in front of a messy workbench. I believe stock it would have been level with the back of the seat.

This is another one that has me scratching my head, if there is anything I can do about it. Basically, there is a ton of slop in the steering, and the reason is the size of the bore that the steering shaft goes through.

I could easily fix the top here, if it weren't for the 2 washers welded at the bottom.


Speaking of welded stuff, these tie rod ends are fixed, hopefully the alignment will be good enough and I won't have to replace. Unless someone knows how to fix that


Anyway, that's my 10 attachment limit, and this is the start of the Bird restoration!

I haven't had much time to do anything yet, however I did want to get this restoration thread started and ask a couple of questions.
The first is this bend in the frame, how would you suggest I straighten it? I can think of a couple possibilities using maybe a bottle jack or twisting a nylon strap, but if there is a tried and true way, let me know!

Up next are these 2 cut/weld to raise the cage, I believe it was to accommodate the briggs. Anybody know if the briggs was factory? If not, what was? Anyway, I like the lift to the top of the frame, I think it adds to the retro look. But I don't like these 2:


I'd like to cut them out, grind what's there to a point on either end, and weld something 'in-line' back in, the same diameter.
Here's that cage lift, presented in front of a messy workbench. I believe stock it would have been level with the back of the seat.

This is another one that has me scratching my head, if there is anything I can do about it. Basically, there is a ton of slop in the steering, and the reason is the size of the bore that the steering shaft goes through.

I could easily fix the top here, if it weren't for the 2 washers welded at the bottom.


Speaking of welded stuff, these tie rod ends are fixed, hopefully the alignment will be good enough and I won't have to replace. Unless someone knows how to fix that


Anyway, that's my 10 attachment limit, and this is the start of the Bird restoration!


























Needless to say, I was grinning ear to ear the whole time, it was such a treat to get to watch them. 







