Axles for IRS

Pinhead

Reaction score
I recently picked up a go kart that has been repainted and am having trouble identifying. It's got a simple Independent Rear Suspension consisting of a shock, trailing arm, and axle with a single inboard U-joint.

Unfortunately the U-joint on the right axle was replaced by the previous owner who couldn't find the correct size so they honed out the axle to fit a bigger joint. This eliminated the ability to use retaining rings (snap rings) to hold the entire assembly together.

It worked for about a week after I bought until I lost a cap. Now I need to either "fix" the u-joint or replace the axle(s).

Does anyone have any idea what brand/model this go-kart is and where I can find parts? I haven't been able to find any images online of anything similar.

EDIT: Now that I'm a full-fledged member of this forum, I was able to find an almost identical thread by lyfesaver.

It's a Baja Blaster 65.

Many thanks.

Attachments

• 20211017_194405.jpg
    20211017_194405.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 20
  • 20211017_194418.jpg
    20211017_194418.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 22
  • 20211017_194437.jpg
    20211017_194437.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 21
  • 20211017_194506.jpg
    20211017_194506.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 19
  • 20211003_150801.jpg
    20211003_150801.jpg
    5.3 MB · Views: 17
Last edited:

Pinhead

Reaction score
Now that I've found the make/model, I'm having a hard time finding axles. According to alpha-sports.com, the axles are discontinued/unavailable.

Looks like I might have to build a new IRS with cv axles...

panchothedog

Reaction score
I have one that I bought brand new back in 2008. The company that imported them Baja Motor Spots went out of business quite a few years ago. I have looked far and wide for parts with not much luck. Finally found a place in
Texas that bought some of their old stock. No idea if they have what you need.
The lace is called Scooter Outlet. Phone number (915) 820-2565. They are located in El Paso. I have made a couple of purchases from him. Seems like a small operation, kinda slow to ship, but the stuff showed up and it was what I had ordered. Hope this helps. Good luck.

ONE-EYE

Reaction score
Worst case scenario is you could install a carriage and weld up a new plate. Then you could run a straight axle and still mount the lower part of the shocks to the carriage. Might be a lot of work but just brainstorming here lol

Pinhead

Reaction score
Worst case scenario is you could install a carriage and weld up a new plate. Then you could run a straight axle and still mount the lower part of the shocks to the carriage. Might be a lot of work but just brainstorming here lol
This kart will spend 99.9% of its time off-road so I don't want to go with a solid axle.

Tempted to pull the IRS out of my '80 Subaru wagon and graft it in. So many projects, so little time...

Pinhead

Reaction score
I have one that I bought brand new back in 2008. The company that imported them Baja Motor Spots went out of business quite a few years ago. I have looked far and wide for parts with not much luck. Finally found a place in
Texas that bought some of their old stock. No idea if they have what you need.
The lace is called Scooter Outlet. Phone number (915) 820-2565. They are located in El Paso. I have made a couple of purchases from him. Seems like a small operation, kinda slow to ship, but the stuff showed up and it was what I had ordered. Hope this helps. Good luck.
Thanks for the tip. I contacted them and they no longer have the axles in stock.

Pinhead

Reaction score

madprofessor

"Loose Cannon Creations"
Reaction score
Clearly you understand the mechanics of the IRS applications. What I went looking for on YouTube was a video of (I think) Cars and Cameras doing a "semi-independent" rear suspension, that's what they called it anyway.
shock, trailing arm, and axle with a single inboard U-joint.
If yours is what that sounds like to me, you'd appreciate the video. There was a single U-joint in the center of the kart frame's rear end, and that looks basically like a trailer setup being towed on a trailer-hitch ball. Difference is that the trailer was pushing the kart, not vice versa. They had a single cross brace like I think that is on yours, and it worked fine. Still can't get past the feeling that it's a really hinky way of doing it.

Pinhead

Reaction score
Clearly you understand the mechanics of the IRS applications. What I went looking for on YouTube was a video of (I think) Cars and Cameras doing a "semi-independent" rear suspension, that's what they called it anyway.

If yours is what that sounds like to me, you'd appreciate the video. There was a single U-joint in the center of the kart frame's rear end, and that looks basically like a trailer setup being towed on a trailer-hitch ball. Difference is that the trailer was pushing the kart, not vice versa. They had a single cross brace like I think that is on yours, and it worked fine. Still can't get past the feeling that it's a really hinky way of doing it.
Yep, I've seen that one. Red Beard's Garage. :)

madprofessor

"Loose Cannon Creations"
Reaction score
Thanks for that pointer, went back and looked at the RBG video. Write this down: "I was wrong." You won't see me say it often. At least I did qualify my thought that it was a C and C video with an (I think.)
What was totally wrong was me saying it had a U-joint attachment. It was a big heim joint, as were both ends of what he calls a panhard bar, the part that keeps it from swiveling. Still uncomfortable with the mechanics of it.

Pinhead

Reaction score
What is your reservation about the design? The weak point in the middle or the frame or the strength/stability of the panhard bar?

madprofessor

"Loose Cannon Creations"
Reaction score
What is your reservation about the design?
Guess I just prefer a zero application of stress from the "swingarm" trying to rotate, which it does do. Either rear wheel can independently rise up, and it rotates the swingarm and motor with it. The panhard bar only prevents the swingarm from swinging left/right.
I know I'm an OCD overbuilding nutcase, but I just really like a heavy duty swingarm that only has an up/down way it can move.
Note the swingarm pivots in pic below, uses (6) 3/4" cast iron pillow block bearings, (4) on the frame, (2) on the swingarm.................100_0172.JPG

Pinhead

Reaction score
Guess I just prefer a zero application of stress from the "swingarm" trying to rotate, which it does do. Either rear wheel can independently rise up, and it rotates the swingarm and motor with it. The panhard bar only prevents the swingarm from swinging left/right.
I believe that is the entire point of the design, isn't it? To give each wheel a "semi" independent movement arc...?

FlyFrog

Reaction score
I know I'm an OCD overbuilding nutcase, but I just really like a heavy duty swingarm that only has an up/down way it can move.
Note the swingarm pivots in pic below, uses (6) 3/4" cast iron pillow block bearings, (4) on the frame, (2) on the swingarm.................View attachment 130114
them are some tiny wheels

madprofessor

"Loose Cannon Creations"
Reaction score
them are some tiny wheels
Those little 12" tall tires on 6" split rims were temporary during the (SchizoBallz) build, and are going on the next (BareBallz) kart build. Have my 16" tall x 4" wide on 8" rims on it now, 8" wide tires will go on at the end. Want taller tires for the 8" rims, but not unless I can work out the gear ratio/motor rpm dilemma. Upcoming test run will be on the new 9:1 gear ratio, have to get the rpm's up to at least 4500.

Pinhead

Reaction score
I was able to find a new u-joint from a local farm parts store and after some grinding, got it to fit. (y)

Another issue I had is the rear wheels were shifted rearward, causing the rear to be toed-out. You want to talk about unstable at high speed... A couple of new mounting holes later, I got the rear aligned.

Top speed was measured at 36 mph though I think my throttle cable had loosened which didn't give me WOT. I'll have to do another speed test.

The front has terrible bump steer because the welded-up steering knuckle put the tie-rod at a ridiculous angle relative to the A-arms. I believe that's my next project.