Are you interrested to see other's finished work for ideas?

Would you post 4, positioned, pix of your 'finished' kart to show it off?


  • Total voters
    25
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Half-breeder

"Edit" button removed
Messages
1,686
Reaction score
9
I was sitting here and thinking... there 'should' be a 'sticky' in this section for "showing off" ones completed kart(s)... and maybe another sticky thread for bikes/other. I have often wondered what 'others' have done to their karts 'visually'(if their 'proud' of their work), maybe for ideas or just to gawk at... all in 1 thread.

IMO... inorder to accomplish a 'good' viewing of ones kart, a series of certain positioned photos must be taken. Ideally, the 4 positions for fully viewing a symmetrical kart(to me) seems to be... low straight front, high front corner, low side, and high rear corner... or a 360* vid(slow walk around). If a question is arisen it can either be PM'd or quote replied for 'others' that may have the same question.

I am aware that one persons garbage is another's treasure... and Im hoping that by making a thread like this wont volunteer public criticisms from others... mainly for the reasons of 'diarrhea of the mouth'.

So, Im throwing out the offer to do the footwork of starting a thread of such nature... but before I do... Id like to know an 'approximate' amount of participants. If only 4-5 agree and speakup then it's really not a worthwhile thread, and dont wanna waste the time and Ill just continue to google/bing my curiosities like I have done.

Im hopping to see as many votes as views guys!!!!
 

itsid

Moderator
Staff member
Messages
11,563
Reaction score
252
Location
Ruhrpott [Germany]
A little like asking Doc if he wants a cup of coffee...
Or me for that matter :D

Voted nevertheless ;)

'sid
 

Half-breeder

"Edit" button removed
Messages
1,686
Reaction score
9
A little like asking Doc if he wants a cup of coffee...
Or me for that matter :D

Voted nevertheless ;)

'sid

Well... I know the normal ppl that post will... but im talking the hundreds of 'others' that 'dont' post... Who knows, there may be someone out there that has made something that we dont know bout, and it could change the whole perspective of how 'our' kart will look in the future.... never know!

A thought is only an idea, unrealized!
 

Orange Krate

Active member
Messages
1,117
Reaction score
14
Location
North Texas
Yes! But, since it actually requires me to finish something, given my track record, my odds of actually participating look long :roflol:
 

Half-breeder

"Edit" button removed
Messages
1,686
Reaction score
9
Yes! But, since it actually requires me to finish something, given my track record, my odds of actually participating look long :roflol:

... hence the reason I put the 3rd option into play for those like you who's 'heart' is in the right place... just not your build!
 

fowler

New member
Messages
5,463
Reaction score
18
Location
Bullsbrook West Aus
I wouldn't be worried about the views V votes

The amount of people who sign up and don't post is massive
Not to mention the random people just looking at the thread from a google search of somthing

Was going to vote option 3 for a laugh
But yea is a good idea

Have u done a search though
I'm sure this idea pops up every 8 months or so
 

Oxymoron

Newbesque builder.
Messages
444
Reaction score
10
Location
Maryland
I voted for option 3... but not for a laugh. I just got my first kart two days ago. It'll be awhile before it's done, considering it's winter and I can't really work on any frame stuff outside.

I would definitely contribute when it's finished though.
 

fowler

New member
Messages
5,463
Reaction score
18
Location
Bullsbrook West Aus
By project is going on 3 yrs lol

Brought is as a 1st year apprentic

Now 3rd yr
Probs not going to touch it till I'm qualified
 

Oxymoron

Newbesque builder.
Messages
444
Reaction score
10
Location
Maryland
I hope mine doesn't take that long... my kids will kick my butt, heh.

I'm hoping to turn it out pretty quickly once it warms up. I need to just concentrate on one build at a time though... I have several going simultaneously currently.

The joys of being a big kid/tinkerer/dad, I suppose.
 

Half-breeder

"Edit" button removed
Messages
1,686
Reaction score
9
I wouldn't be worried about the views V votes

The amount of people who sign up and don't post is massive
Not to mention the random people just looking at the thread from a google search of somthing

Was going to vote option 3 for a laugh
But yea is a good idea

Have u done a search though
I'm sure this idea pops up every 8 months or so

Ya I think I saw a simular thread a few months back, but no votes or possible interrest surfaced.

I suppose if we keep replyin to this thread n keepin it in the NEW list up top... eventally enough will see it n vote(im guessin).
 

OzFab

Well-known member
Messages
15,615
Reaction score
73
Location
Warwick Qld, Australia
I think it's a great idea & not just because I'd get to show off my build off winning kart :D but, as suggested, there are similar threads (like the kart ID thread) but nothing exactly the same...

So far, the response is all positive so, how many votes are you hoping for to make it viable in your eyes?
 

itsid

Moderator
Staff member
Messages
11,563
Reaction score
252
Location
Ruhrpott [Germany]
I suggest we just start the thread and see how it goes. If it doesn't work, then we have lost nothing...

I agree..

"Kart showcase" sticky somewhere appropriate and see what's happening..

Given the more "general" appeal of such a thread, maybe a short "Mod-Intro" post (without kart)?

*throwing pennies*

'sid
 

itsid

Moderator
Staff member
Messages
11,563
Reaction score
252
Location
Ruhrpott [Germany]
Well, I figured, that if the first post is nothing but introduction,
that readers will understand more clearly that this is a "bring your own pics" thread instead of a show-off of just this person.

I don't need to tell you that Mods are users too, and they also have something to show every once in a while ;)

So, new guys comes along, opens "showoff" thread, sees 'person' posting his kart..
and without reading anything..he thinks "Oh his kart.. interesting"

Without images first thing coming to his mind is "Oh.. just text.. should read..."

'sid

PS well.. at least germans tend to behave that way ;)
 

Doc Sprocket

*********
Messages
15,677
Reaction score
151
Location
Ontario, Canada
Well, I figured, that if the first post is nothing but introduction,
that readers will understand more clearly that this is a "bring your own pics" thread instead of a show-off of just this person.

I don't need to tell you that Mods are users too, and they also have something to show every once in a while ;)

So, new guys comes along, opens "showoff" thread, sees 'person' posting his kart..
and without reading anything..he thinks "Oh his kart.. interesting"

Without images first thing coming to his mind is "Oh.. just text.. should read..."

'sid

PS well.. at least germans tend to behave that way ;)

There's some logic in there somewhere... ;)
 

machinist@large

Active member
Messages
2,865
Reaction score
33
Location
West Michigan, 49331
The only reason I haven't posted a cool project is because I haven't had the funds to pursue one; as for judging anyone else's efforts, I thought I was pretty clear on the "jobs" thread I started recently; at any given time,(topic dependent) there will most likely be someone in our membership that has more expertise than me.

I know what I know; that just means that I know more than some people, less than others.

Pat
 

Half-breeder

"Edit" button removed
Messages
1,686
Reaction score
9
So far, the response is all positive so, how many votes are you hoping for to make it viable in your eyes?

Well, I hate to think that ONLY the ones that voted are the only contributing members of this forum(but its beginning to look that way... but nonetheless, I was looking for a # around 30ish...and I dont think ill get it w/in the 30 days allotted for this poll.

I do understand the reasoning for the separation of mods vs pics... but Ill attempt to make things understood 'in' the title to have both.

Ill have it setup so that the title reads something like ... "Kart Show for EVERYONE!!! ... PLZ read first post for details!" From there Ill have an outline of 'how' things 'should' look before each members post...

{"Kart name"}(for specific identification)

{Make/model/year(if known/applicable) of kart}(for others to compare to theirs)

{Make/HP/cc of motor}(for potential comparisons)

{Gears/ratio/wheel sizes}(for potential comparisons)

{ON/OFF road usage}(der)

{MODS:
A.
B.
C...}

{short personal description/history of anything about how/why/how long it took/performance...etc}


{Vid(s) if any}(for walk around visuals/performance)

ATTACHMENTS:{4 pics(minimal) of the kart from the 4 angles}(low front, high front corner, low side, and high rear corner)

For those w/ mutlipal karts to show... a separate reply can be made.

For those of you that have been to a car/bike/kart/etc show... youll know that all Im outlining 'is' what is seen at a show. I myself have to 'retake' pics of mine... aint really prepared for this idea(been raining here).

....good?
 

landuse

Moderator
Staff member
Messages
18,798
Reaction score
602
Location
Pietermaritzburg, South Africa
Well, I hate to think that ONLY the ones that voted are the only contributing members of this forum(but its beginning to look that way... but nonetheless, I was looking for a # around 30ish...and I dont think ill get it w/in the 30 days allotted for this poll.

I do understand the reasoning for the separation of mods vs pics... but Ill attempt to make things understood 'in' the title to have both.

Ill have it setup so that the title reads something like ... "Kart Show for EVERYONE!!! ... PLZ read first post for details!" From there Ill have an outline of 'how' things 'should' look before each members post...

{"Kart name"}(for specific identifacation)
{Make/model/year(if known) of kart}(for others to compare to theirs)
{Make/HP/cc of motor}(for potential comparisons)
{Gears/ratio/wheel sizes}(for potential comparisons)
{ON/OFF road usage}(der)
{MODS:
A.
B.
C...}
{short personal description of anything about how/why/how long it took/performance...etc}
{Vid(s) if any}(for walk around visuals/performance)

ATTACHMENTS:{4 pics(minimal) of the kart from the 4 angles(low front, high front corner, low side, and high rear corner)

For those w/ mutlipal karts to show... a separate reply can be made.

For those of you that have been to a car/bike/kart/etc show... youll know that all Im outlining 'is' what is seen at a show. I myself have to 'retake' pics of mine... aint really prepared for this idea(been raining here).

....good?

Just remember that some of the karts are scratch builds, so the make and model etc is not going to apply
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top