Anyone else go for a ride tonight?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BigWes

Reaction score
Was finally a nice cool night out...

So some strange feeling hit me as the sun was going down...

I was standing in the backyard staring at my neglected Murray Explorer wondering if the thing would start up. I normally crank all my engines at least once every other week. But the triple digit heat and some health problems have kept me indoors the past 3 months.

Oil: check... Gas: needed some... pulled the cord a few times... hmmm, I musta ran it completely out of gas last time... but after a few more pulls it eagerly came to life. Unlike my chainsaw Saturday.

It was just sitting there idling away. It sounded so good. I climbed aboard and eased it a a few laps around the backyard with my little dog chasing after me. I was going faster and faster as I went trying to not rip up the dry, burnt up grass until I noticed myself leaving the dog behind and the rear end drifting through the turns...I knew I should probably put it away, but I couldn't. I put the dog inside, then took it around front to the garage and serviced the tires up to par and did a quick brake adjustment.

The neighbor kid came over, he said "Hey mister that sure is a big go kart," I said "yeah, it's pretty fast too, if you get your mom's permission and you can follow some rules I'll let you ride it sometime, but only when it's daytime, what do you think about that?" He smiled real big, then he said "I think my mom has dinner ready so I need to go home!" Then he took off. So I don't know if that was good or bad.

I noticed him and his brother looking out the window when I took off up the street. What a blast I had! I made 3 laps and brought it back in just to catch myself cranking up the Ken-Bar...

Oh the Ken-Bar...I knew better...but I did it anyway!

This is a project that is definitely in work. One that needs new rims on the front and obviously another new sprocket...I'll just leave it at that! It was fun until I had to call my wife to bring the truck down to the lake and pick me up! It was still worth it though...I just don't think I like aluminum sprockets! When my arm and back stops hurting I'll go back outside and try and unload it from the truck without killing myself.

Did anyone else have any fun this weekend?

JTSpeedDemon

2019 Build Off Winner!
Reaction score
Nope, no karting for me this weekend. Came down with the dadgum back to school cold. :ack2:
As far as fun though, I did go to a state Taekwondo tournament and got 2nd place in sparring in my entire division. And I only narrowly lost to a black belt.
While I was sick!
Plus everyone was an excellent sport.
So, all in all a good day, brought home a nice big shiny trophy and lots of good memories!
:bannana:

BigWes

Reaction score
Nope, no karting for me this weekend. Came down with the dadgum back to school cold. :ack2:
As far as fun though, I did go to a state Taekwondo tournament and got 2nd place in sparring in my entire division. And I only narrowly lost to a black belt.
While I was sick!
Plus everyone was an excellent sport.
So, all in all a good day, brought home a nice big shiny trophy and lots of good memories!
:bannana:

Congrats on the Win!

Hellion

Disc brakes are for cowards
Reaction score
I was supposed to go for a ride last night?

Why didn’t you tell us BigWuss?! I coulda marked it on my calendar and had it all planned out.
RATS! Next time, don’t screw it up. Tell us in advance when the riding days are.

We can make them mandatory riding days and we can all spew some fumes for the environment. :sifone:

JTSpeedDemon

2019 Build Off Winner!
Reaction score
Let's do them EARLY Saturday morning for maximum neighbor anger!! :roflol:
Headers, cams and all! And finish it off with a nice obnoxious burnout in someone else's driveway!
And it'll smell so much better with the sweat and oil smells!

:roflol:

BigWes

Reaction score
I was supposed to go for a ride last night?

Why didn’t you tell us BigWuss?! I coulda marked it on my calendar and had it all planned out.
RATS! Next time, don’t screw it up. Tell us in advance when the riding days are.

We can make them mandatory riding days and we can all spew some fumes for the environment. :sifone:

Next time I'll let you know ahead of time. That way you can buy a 12 pack of Nasty Light and be prepared for the party.

No JT, I refuse to get up early on Saturday! I get up early Monday through Friday!

Budget GoKart

Aka a kenbar
Reaction score
i rode my ken bar around 7-8 on friday it was pretty nice out and the sun was going down it was fun. also i found out that drifting through a bumpy open field hurts but is really fun and good on the tires!

JTSpeedDemon

2019 Build Off Winner!
Reaction score
I would love to make a little oval drifting track in my backyard, but my folks won't let me tear up the yard.
In short, I can't floor it in the yard since last time I did I dug a looong trench!:oops:

anickode

Reaction score
No ripping around the yard for me anymore this year. Got an acre of freshly sprouted Kentucky 31 out back, and I'm not wrecking it before it's mature. Kentucky 31 is a very durable and abuse tolerant turf, but not when it's young.

Hellion

Disc brakes are for cowards
Reaction score
I would love to make a little oval drifting track in my backyard, but my folks won't let me tear up the yard...

Might be worthwhile to ask around/look around for empty lots, abandoned places, "old farmer Brown's field", that sort of thing in your immediate area. Look on Gewgle Maps with satellite imagery selected. When you find something, load up the go kart in the back of the station wagon (<--WTH is that?) or minivan and go.

See what kind of vacant land you can find. I'd suggest the empty parking lot of a business that actually closes on a day of the week (used to be Sunday). A mall parking lot would be the bomb! I don't know what your local tyrannical laws are but if anyone complained and called Johnny Law on you, you're only going to get a warning at the worst.

If it's private property, seek permission of course. Hellion doesn't willfully incite lawlessness, mind you. :cornut:

---------- Post added at 04:45 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:35 PM ----------

I love, looove these guys and their little "kartel". Shows the fun of 4 guys and an empty parking lot. Totally 'driftable' surface since the asphalt has been black topped and is basically slicker than normal.

Might be even more fun in a light rain... Stay tuned til the end for an important safety lesson and the necessity of a kill switch. :eek: :cool:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n_WzJ3UCjT8

JTSpeedDemon

2019 Build Off Winner!
Reaction score
I have permission from out ward's bishop to use the church parking lot, which is a pretty considerable size. I think it's got a ~500 ft. straightaway with nice loops at either end. Don't really know, I 'm bad with guesstimating distance.
But yeah, it's big, it's not too far, and I know 4 people at my church with go karts. One Dr. Pepper bodied kart(Predator 212), one Predator 212 race kart, And 2 Predator 212 homemade karts.
AFAIK All of them are stock, so once I put in the Raptor rod, they won't stand a chance. :D :auto:

Tpdingo

Reaction score
I have permission from out ward's bishop to use the church parking lot, which is a pretty considerable size. I think it's got a ~500 ft. straightaway with nice loops at either end. Don't really know, I 'm bad with guesstimating distance.
But yeah, it's big, it's not too far, and I know 4 people at my church with go karts. One Dr. Pepper bodied kart(Predator 212), one Predator 212 race kart, And 2 Predator 212 homemade karts.
AFAIK All of them are stock, so once I put in the Raptor rod, they won't stand a chance. :D :auto:

Pull it up on google maps and measure. My local abandoned school has a 800ft straight away with a curved 500ft speed up ramp.

JTSpeedDemon

2019 Build Off Winner!
Reaction score
Just measured it, it's only 250 feet, but it's still long enough for a respectable kart dragstrip!

Functional Artist

Reaction score
Batteries emit fumes of their own and have a horrible carbon footprint. :p

Don't get me "started" :lolgoku: ...ICE joke :roflol:

Yup, I had some fun this weekend :thumbsup:

I put several miles on the Atom kart, doin' testin' :wai:

I used a GPS to get some MPH data & tried to record the info
...but, quickly found that once you get over ~25MPH, it's kinda hard to get a clear recording. :huh:

Here is the video, as I said the MPH didn't record too well
...but, I can officially say that the Atom kart will do 35MPH :2guns:
…& also ran into some issues :mad2:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IRjovx-BCJ4

Attachments

• SAM_1164.jpg
    SAM_1164.jpg
    632.2 KB · Views: 1

BigWes

Reaction score
Don't get me "started" :lolgoku: ...ICE joke :roflol:

Yup, I had some fun this weekend :thumbsup:

I put several miles on the Atom kart, doin' testin' :wai:

I used a GPS to get some MPH data & tried to record the info
...but, quickly found that once you get over ~25MPH, it's kinda hard to get a clear recording. :huh:

Here is the video, as I said the MPH didn't record too well
...but, I can officially say that the Atom kart will do 35MPH :2guns:
…& also ran into some issues :mad2:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IRjovx-BCJ4

Hey, you need to cut out that part of the video where it catches the shadow of you and your kart with your hair blowing in the wind...now tell me you couldn't edit that with some other cool clips and some old Steppenwolf music and make a great video intro clip with that! :thumbsup:

As far as your bus block goes it looks like you may need some heavier gauge connectors and something either more heat resistant or maybe an individual block for each conductor with a heat sink and active cooling solution like a fan or maybe a heat pipe block off an old computer or something like that if you want to save weight. Your frame build looks great.

t looks like it runs out pretty good though! Not bad really! It didn't catch on fire right!?!?

Ha! You know all this already though...heck, just put some wires on there big enough where it will smoke the tires and carry the front wheels! LOL j/k :D

Budget GoKart

Aka a kenbar
Reaction score
I wonder if my 6 inch slicks and rims will fit on the same hub as my five inch one does if so im putting my 6 inch rears on my ken bar and becoming a drag racer :2guns:

Functional Artist

Reaction score
Hey, you need to cut out that part of the video where it catches the shadow of you and your kart with your hair blowing in the wind...now tell me you couldn't edit that with some other cool clips and some old Steppenwolf music and make a great video intro clip with that! :thumbsup:

As far as your bus block goes it looks like you may need some heavier gauge connectors and something either more heat resistant or maybe an individual block for each conductor with a heat sink and active cooling solution like a fan or maybe a heat pipe block off an old computer or something like that if you want to save weight. Your frame build looks great.

t looks like it runs out pretty good though! Not bad really! It didn't catch on fire right!?!?

Ha! You know all this already though...heck, just put some wires on there big enough where it will smoke the tires and carry the front wheels! LOL j/k :D

He...he...Yup, been there, done that :sifone:

:iagree: that silhouette scene looked pretty kool. :thumbsup:

But, I'd prefer something like Black Sabbath or Iron Maiden :cheers2:
(my daughter says my intro song should be "Up Town Funk"
…"if you don't believe me just watch"
(kinda dispise "long winded" intros) :huh:

:cornut: Nope, no actual fire :lolgoku:

Yup, she runs out really good! :auto:
...actually kinda flies TOP SPEED 35 MPH :wai:

* This 60V 2,000W Boma motor kit came with the "proper" connector block
...but, I made the mis-calculation & chose not to use it :ack2:
(first time workin' with 60V, won't do that again)

I think, I got 'er figured out :bannana:
...here is the diagnostic/repair video :2guns:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SOEculQeTtk

Status
Not open for further replies.