Already ran into trouble... HAHA

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sdannenberg3

Semi-Effective Member
Reaction score
Well this is why im here!

So, I have 2 go karts, a red one and a blue one. I took the spindles off the red kart and I want to use the tires/hubs off my blue cart. The problem is is that the red kart spindles are 5/8" and the blue kart is 3/4" so the bearings for the hub dont fit tight on the spindle. What are my options here? I was thinking of buying a 3/4 hardened steel bolt and welding that on after cutting the 5/8" bolt off. Or is there a bearing that would be 5/8 but they would still work with the hub I got?

I know its kinda hard to explain, but if you understand then please, I need help! I will post some pics tomorrow if no one knows what im talking about.

kibble

I banned myself
Reaction score
Hmmm, I don't know about that, those are tapered.

You'd need to get some sealed bearings, open bearings like those are invitation for disaster as dust and dirt could easily get into them. You can get hubs that come with the bearings at 5/8's or 3/4" but it depends on the bolt pattern on your wheels. Do you have pics of your wheels?

Sdannenberg3

Semi-Effective Member
Reaction score
Well the bearings that are in my front wheels now on my blue cart are tapered like that. They just have dust covers. And I think it would be cheaper to buy the new bearings rather than new hubs.

But i think I found an even cheaper option...
http://www.mfgsupply.com/m/c/AZ8271..html?id=eG85qm7a
And even cheaper I could probably just go to home depot and find some steel tubing!

kibble

I banned myself
Reaction score
Well the bearings that are in my front wheels now on my blue cart are tapered like that. They just have dust covers. And I think it would be cheaper to buy the new bearings rather than new hubs.

But i think I found an even cheaper option...
http://www.mfgsupply.com/m/c/AZ8271..html?id=eG85qm7a
And even cheaper I could probably just go to home depot and find some steel tubing!

Oh, sorry I was assuming you had just regular bearings. Hey, if you're able to get and use the reducer, that's even better! Can't go wrong with $0.60 a piece!

Sdannenberg3

Semi-Effective Member
Reaction score
Thats what im thinking! Heck, first I was thinking I was gonna have to buy new hubs, then I found out I could get new bearings, then a reducer, now I can probably make my own! Cause yeah its 60 cents, but its a flat rate of like $7 shipping. So ill just go to home depot.

Plus I found a YZ250 full bike, running for $300. I think i might go for it!

Ohh, and here are some pics.

modelengineer

Lord of the noise
Reaction score
$300 is worth it for a running engine, chain, sprockets, gears, clutch, brake disc and caliper and master cylinder (or drum brakes)

A 250cc bike motor is the absolute biggest engine I would use on a kart without suspension.

Sdannenberg3

Semi-Effective Member
Reaction score
oh yeah, I wasn't even shooting for that, but hey it popped up! But I'm thinking twice about it cause her husband told her that it neds a new clutch and a chain and sprocket. And theose are like the main parts I'm buying it for!

modelengineer

Lord of the noise
Reaction score
Why? Race carts have no suspension, 1300cc busa motor has been used.

Have you seen how crazy that thing is? lol. You would have to be pretty experienced to drive it.
My comment was mainly directed at offroad and semi-offroad karts, should have said that. My bad.

Status
Not open for further replies.