Advice on Hammer Head 200 Engine replacement

Zade

Reaction score
You are probably going to have to modify or remove the luggage rack and move the sprocket over to the left side of the kart. Other than that it looks like you have plenty of room.
To move sprocket to left side do I remove and flip the axle??

panchothedog

Reaction score
Chances are it might not end up exactly where you need it to be, and then you would have to relocate the brake caliper. From the picture it looks like the sprocket is mounted to a hub. Is the hub not moveable ? Unless it's welded to the axle you should be able to. Much easier to adjust the sprocket to line up with the engine compared to building the motor mount to line up with a fixed sprocket.

Zade

Reaction score
I’m 100 settled on using my Ironton 420 Industrial engine and the torque converter on this frame. Swapping out the big breather box, changing exhaust and ditching the fuel tank. I just need more time to work on it! Don’t we all?
Pics to come and thanks to all for the tips.
Z

Snaker

Reaction score
I have to defend the GY6 a little bit.
The original Honda and most Tiawan versions are considered quite good.
I mean, its a OHC with a oil pump.
It includes a CVT, compared to just engines of other brands.
Its scooter oriented and is pretty fuel efficient.
Its interesting that most come without a oil cooler but some, probably karts mostly, have a cooler.
They are usually "rated" at around 9hp, pretty good for 150cc

The China copies are a bit up and down on quality.
But I ran mine nearly daily except for hard winter snow and cold, no major problems for 9 years and still going.
I think if you get a good one and take care of it, it will last.
Plus parts have been pretty cheap.
I've had several box store riding lawn mowers with "industrial" engines and I think these can be just as good.
I mean, the people that run these into the ground will destroy anything

A challenge with these is that all the support parts (ignition, fuel, air cleaner, lighting) are all external to the engine.
They are all chassis mounted and have to be compatible with the engine.
When folks start swapping out parts they often get incompatible parts and things don't work.
With no mfr or dealer support and limited internet help, people give up and move on.

Snaker

Reaction score
Forgot to add:
That powerplant and the chassis it sits in are real oddballs.
The case has hanger brackets front and rear.
The front is main frame mounted from above.
The rear doesn't use the scooter suspension hanger mount and instead, has a plate for the drive chain tensioner to attach.
So its a weird setup of the front being suspended and the rear being hardtail.
Plan on doing a lot of frame fab to get anything else to fit.

Zade

Reaction score
What is a “runner”?
Yes it looks like hell and yes some one left
It outside for a
Decade in Houston.
Way to INSPIRE new people…….
SMH

Denny

Canned Monster
Reaction score
I wasn’t trying to be mean or a jerk. I’m sorry if it came off that way. I just wanted to point out that it would cost a small fortune to put it back into running order with another gy6. Because you would need everything. That’s all. In this particular case it would be much more cost effective to go with a 420 or so industrial engine.
I do agree with Snaker that if it was maintained that they can be pretty reliable engines. Just in this particular case very expensive and time consuming. I’m here to help and support you so don’t feel down or discouraged. That’s why Robert built this site we all love.

Zade

Reaction score
It’s all good brother.
I’m not butt hurt, lol.

I’m a shop monkey just trying to piece it all together so I can get my son off of his pc and in the outdoors.

I’ve got the 420cc Ironton am going full throttle into this project.

Peace.

Snaker

Reaction score
Snaker, he would have to replace everything to make it a runner. Looks like it sat out exposed and open to the weather for atleast a decade. I think the Titanic would be easier to get running.
Well, its certainly going to be a project, one way or another.
But I think its worth doing
I do like these platforms to work on, lots of potential.
I have done a lot of small projects on mine, something I haven't done on my ATV

I'm not familiar with the Hammerhead brand, but American Landmaster carries a lot of parts and some things may fit or be tweaked to fit.

Denny

Canned Monster
Reaction score
Well, its certainly going to be a project, one way or another.
But I think its worth doing
I do like these platforms to work on, lots of potential.
I have done a lot of small projects on mine, something I haven't done on my ATV

I'm not familiar with the Hammerhead brand, but American Landmaster carries a lot of parts and some things may fit or be tweaked to fit.
I agree with you there! The Honda engines are super reliable but I have always thought the electrical system was lacking. I think the electrical system was built by Joe Lucas’ (Joe Lucas, The Prince of Darkness) Japanese cousin Roe Rukas. Lucas electrical system is the only one that when you turn on the lights it actually gets darker outside! Lucas electric actually had a factory part number for the smoke that came out of the wiring harness! Got my first Honda in 76, been walking ever since! Just kidding, I’m here doing shows every night at 7:00 pm. Have a good night folks and drive safely! Remember there’s a 2 drink minimum.

Karttekk

Reaction score
What is wrong with the engine that's there? By the time you get done fabricating, welding, swearing and trying to make something work, it will be Winter again. I would consider a new GY6 engine from these people, they're professionals and are always willing to help. Pretty sure the 200 series buggy machines are water cooled. Talk to Hammerhead Performance.

panchothedog

Reaction score
The engine that's in there now doesn't run. He already owns a brand new 420 cc engine and torque converter and has said he knows how to weld and
fabricate. A nice jester for you to provide the link where he can get a new
GY6 engine in a variety of configurations, but the prices WOW $650 to $800.
Having the ability to fabricate and weld it shouldn't cost him much more than a
$40 to $60 heavy duty motor plate for a big block and probably some incidental
like throttle linkage and a new chain. The kart will end up considerably more powerful as well as faster if he so desired it to be

Karttekk

Reaction score
The engine that's in there now doesn't run. He already owns a brand new 420 cc engine and torque converter and has said he knows how to weld and
fabricate. A nice jester for you to provide the link where he can get a new
GY6 engine in a variety of configurations, but the prices WOW $650 to $800.
Having the ability to fabricate and weld it shouldn't cost him much more than a
$40 to $60 heavy duty motor plate for a big block and probably some incidental
like throttle linkage and a new chain. The kart will end up considerably more powerful as well as faster if he so desired it to be
It will certainly be a learning experience for him, no doubt. Not trying to discourage him, sometimes projects like this become overwhelming. Looking forward to the results!