Advice on Hammer Head 200 Engine replacement

Zade

Reaction score
Team,

can anyone direct me to a good engine I can get online for my project cart?
Thanks,
Zsde

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 22
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 22

Denny

Canned Monster
Reaction score
How much work do you want to do? How reliable do you want it? What kind of performance do you want. Can you weld? Can you fabricate? I know what I’d do if it was my kart, but it ain’t mine. Help us to help you.

Zade

Reaction score
I think I’d like to know more about a more affordable but good engine I’m the 125 to 150 cc range. I’m seeing engines online but I’m not getting the chain sprocket set up.
in the pic mine is on the right but all of the engines I’m seeing they are on left.
Also, will a vertical 250 motorcycle engine work?

yes, I can fab, cut and weld decently.

not looking to have super performance hoopty just fun for me and my kids.
I’m very comfortable in a shop.

Denny

Canned Monster
Reaction score
That looks similar to what you have now. You would just have to find the proper reverse gear box for it then. That is the Honda gy6 style engine. I myself would check into an industrial engine conversion. A predator 420 conversion and a 40 series CVT set up. But with that set up you would loose the opportunity for reverse gear.

Zade

Reaction score
I actually own a new pull start 420 and the torque converter; both new. I bought them for a yerf dog project.
Could you show me a link to some pics of this conversion?
Also, do you mind showing what gear box I could use if I stay with the Honda Horizontal clone?

thank you buddy

Denny

Canned Monster
Reaction score
The 420 conversion you would have to fab up on your own. As for the reverser gearbox for the gy6 I have no clue exactly which one as I have never played with one before.

Zade

Reaction score
What do I buy to attach to this?

gear box sprocket?

Attachments

• 58D0249B-5841-4AB0-9FB5-51863DDA5692.png
    58D0249B-5841-4AB0-9FB5-51863DDA5692.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 5

Denny

Canned Monster
Reaction score
I’m not exactly sure if some type of tailshaft doesn’t go on there or a reverser. You would have to go to more of a buggies type site for answers there. We are more tailored to the industrial type engines and yard karts. I’m sorry. We can help should you decide to convert and we can help you to make it reliable too.

panchothedog

Reaction score
Just an observation here, but if that was my kart and I already had a new 420
and a torque converter that lay down style motor ( that's what I call them )
would have been out of there last week. It looks like you have a lot of room for
welding on a motor plate and you say you know how. I have never owned that
style engine and frankly never will. The dependability, ease of service, and power provided by the industrial style engine would make it a no brainer. I own
5 karts, one I bought 14 years ago brand new the others all used (all 15+ years
old ) and they all ran over the last three years. IN my searching I can't tell you how many later model karts with with the lay down style motor that no longer
ran I saw advertised. Seems like they all have reverse, electric starting and
nothing but problems. In fact a couple of times I even thought about buying one and converting it to a predator style motor but I don't know how to weld
So just kept looking until I found the other style kart. Good luck with your project. Show is some pictures as you proceed.

Denny

Canned Monster
Reaction score
Pancho is right, it seems the motorcycle engined buggies and karts seem to have all kind of electrical problems and then get abandoned because of them. The industrial engined karts seem to run till the kids get bored and grow up. Then they get drug out and sold again to the next generation so they can beat on them. Or stored away for the next generation.

Zade

Reaction score
Not too sure how this Ironton 420 will be able to fit. I’m going to pull the gy6 and see.

Zade

Reaction score
Can’t wait to pull this busted engine.

Attachments

• B700CFDD-F7DD-4616-B00E-1E524E68DC2C.jpeg
    B700CFDD-F7DD-4616-B00E-1E524E68DC2C.jpeg
    2.8 MB · Views: 9

panchothedog

Reaction score
You are probably going to have to modify or remove the luggage rack and move the sprocket over to the left side of the kart. Other than that it looks like you have plenty of room.