5hp briggs governor and engine reving issue

shinwrx187

Reaction score
135212 5hp briggs. I was adjusting the governor last night and it starting getting dark so i gave up. I have turned it counter clockwise all the way it will start and instantly go to full throttle. Since the 3/16 bolt is stripped i have to manually turn the arm put the adjustment back on the arm and tighten it. I've turned to clockwise all the way and when u go to start it the pull string wont even turn the motor over its like the governor in the engine is binding up.. so now for the life of me I cant get it in the correct position to stay idled.. i reset the arm counter clockwise still instant rev up. Should i just delete it completely and use my foot throttle and bypass? it very frustrating and i figured I would post a picture and try to get some help/advice. Thanks.

Attachments

• 20200910_093538.jpg
    20200910_093538.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 6

JTSpeedDemon

2019 Build Off Winner!
Reaction score
Well, that governor arm needs to be on the shaft sticking out, for a start. My recommendation would be to get a Raptor style throttle linkage and pull the governor on that engine. It's not terribly hard, and you'll get about 1600 more RPM to play with, without the bother of the governor linkage.
Do you want to remove the governor or not? We'll go from there.

shinwrx187

Reaction score
Id rather not remove it right now. How come every position ive set the shaft all the way counter clockwise, spin clockwise halfway in the middle still does the instant reving i dont understand like everything ive done nothing works. I watched a video and taking the engine cover off and popping the governor device out and replacing that with a 6mm bolt and then take the governor arm out and replace that with a 8mm bolt and so forth. Not that hard i could do it. Then swapping the throttle from the back to the side of the carb place the linkage threw the throttle lever and bolt it down. As of right now today i just want to set the governor back to normal and have a normal running engine like i had last night. I drove it around and decided to mess with it that was a huge mistake on my end and like i said im just frustrated 😞

Update: Ripped engine cover apart, the governor broke just as i thought. I took the piece out and place the shaft back in after cleaning it and used some black rtv silicone on the very end so it will seal. Do i need to remove the plastic gear inside and close that hole off as well? I took the entire governor arm and spring with the metal piece that goes up to the carburetor. Could use some input before i put everything back together and try to start it up. Timing is perfect as well. thanks.

Okay so got everything back together minus all the crap governor junk. Runs real good now. Just need to figure out how to connect my throttle cable to the carburetor to use the pedal to drive the motor anybody have any ideas how i could do this? Something like this picture..

Attachments

• 20200910_120656.jpg
    20200910_120656.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 3
  • 20200910_120853.jpg
    20200910_120853.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 2
  • 20200910_115535.jpg
    20200910_115535.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 2
  • 20200910_123538.jpg
    20200910_123538.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 3
  • A21B0959-C2DE-4EA1-83B9-1EC37676895D.jpeg.jpg
    A21B0959-C2DE-4EA1-83B9-1EC37676895D.jpeg.jpg
    137.6 KB · Views: 3

JTSpeedDemon

2019 Build Off Winner!
Reaction score
Go to www.ombwarehouse.com and search for “raptor throttle kit”, that should be just the ticket. Just to be sure, you removed the plastic gear, right?? Because that’s the most critical piece to remove!

shinwrx187

Reaction score
Yeah i removed everything, except the push pin that holds the plastic gear into place. As for the engine seems to have wayyy better response to the throttle and reving, the live axle kicks in harder and feel more torquay. I appreciate the link but im going to use the metal piece from the linkage cut one end off of that. Heat shrink my throttle cable and the metal hook linkage. Soldier the part where ill cut so i have no fraying of the cable and cut off any access throttle cable what i dont need cable length wise. Ill try and post a pic today.

JTSpeedDemon

2019 Build Off Winner!
Reaction score
By the push pin you mean the shaft that the gear goes on, I’m assuming?
Sounds like a great fix/upgrade!

JTSpeedDemon

2019 Build Off Winner!
Reaction score
Oh, just to make sure, did you remove the washer behind the gear? It sometimes gets forgotten and causes collateral damage later.
Other than that, sounds great!

shinwrx187

Reaction score
I hope so lol i just noticed all that was left was the long pin. Put the casing on gently cause i wasnt sure if that pin was going to be an issue. Im sure i did remove it i have the parts in my tool box in a small box. I always keep bolts and misc stuff to try and save money on other projects if i need something lol. Its raining pretty bad here today so probably wont be able to take it out. Next couple days it suppose to warm up and clear up. Ill definitely be working on the custom throttle cable to stock carburetor today.

shinwrx187

Reaction score
Soldiered my throttle to a piece of the control arm to the stock carburetor. Now that im only running the pedal cable to the stock carburetor it grabs wayyy better and is more responsive. Took alot of patience im talking couple hours.. went to fire it up and for some reason i had no spark.. checked the magneto, reset that with my business card tightened everything up and noticed the magneto ground was loose... got spark again, fired it up drove it around the block about 10 times. Carb kept closing on acceleration so had to keep my arm back to keep it open. Runs great, idle is set and i have some more tinkering around to do.. engine runs so much better without the governor 👏 linkage might look crap to some on here but its the best i could do with what i got. The good ol Indian Burt Munro it up.

Attachments

• 20200911_163412.jpg
    20200911_163412.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 4
  • 20200911_163358.jpg
    20200911_163358.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 4