5hp Briggs And Stratton Governor Removal

Status
Not open for further replies.

souperman000

Reaction score
Can anyone tell me why you have to go inside the engine to remove the plastic governor gear? Isn't just disconnecting the linkage from the carb going to be enough. I'm not really sure what the gear does inside, but i saw no where in this post that talked about how removing the gear affected the engine versus just disconnecting the linkage.
Can anyone explain this?
Thanks.

It could basically disintegrate inside your block and possibly damage some important thigs in there.

have a read http://www.diygokarts.com/vb/showthread.php?t=16518

Doc Sprocket

Reaction score

Mango Matto

Reaction score
I just did this mod to my engine. I am having trouble figuring out how to connect my throttle cable directly to the carb. Does anybody have a picture of how this should be done?

buckwheat

Reaction score
B & S Governor Linkage Operation

I have a question. I want to run my governor. I am using an aftermarket throttle arm & will have to fabricate a new link out of a coat hanger. Do I set the length of the coathanger with the governor arm in the full down position & the carburetor throttle arm in the closed/idle position?
Another thought...the engine is running at wide open position with a cable pulling on the aftermarket throttle arm-how is the governor arm & link going to overcome the tension in the cable??

GoodWComputers

Aspiring Mow-Kart Owner
Reaction score
I have a question. I want to run my governor. I am using an aftermarket throttle arm & will have to fabricate a new link out of a coat hanger. Do I set the length of the coathanger with the governor arm in the full down position & the carburetor throttle arm in the closed/idle position?
Another thought...the engine is running at wide open position with a cable pulling on the aftermarket throttle arm-how is the governor arm & link going to overcome the tension in the cable??

Why aren't you removing your governor?

Hellrazor1200

Reaction score
I don't under stand why you went through all the trouble tearing the engine apart just to say hook the throttle up right to the carburetor ? I bypass the governor by hooking it up to the carburetor without removing all the crap in the inside . I mean will that crap in the inside, when removed, get the engine rpms higher or is removing the crap in the inside just so you can use the stock throttle setup with that arm and what not?

OzFab

Reaction score
Removing the internals is a safety issue: If the internals are left intact they can & will explode because they're not designed to run at speeds over 4000rpm. Not if but when this happens, it will cause major damage to the engine internals (crank, con rod, bearings, etc)

Doc Sprocket

Reaction score
I don't under stand why you went through all the trouble tearing the engine apart just to say hook the throttle up right to the carburetor ? I bypass the governor by hooking it up to the carburetor without removing all the crap in the inside . I mean will that crap in the inside, when removed, get the engine rpms higher or is removing the crap in the inside just so you can use the stock throttle setup with that arm and what not?
Grab a cup of coffee, and have a good read- http://www.diygokarts.com/vb/showthread.php?t=16518
Yor question is answered early on, but you should stick for the long haul.

Status
Not open for further replies.