5hp Briggs And Stratton Governor Removal

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kaptain Krunch

Pro Junk Collector
Reaction score
But can't that effect the end play? Otherwise i like the idea.

Says the guy who was using silicone. Put it together and check end-play, good chance its within spec, cereal box cardboard is fairly similar thickness to the stock gasket.

solomon

Reaction score
I wish I had know that a few weeks ago when i wasted $6 on a side cover gasket...

brendonv

Reaction score
A lot of time? I dont want to be mean but dude thats hardly a come back. Making this tutorial would of taken like 5 mins or 10 max. All u need to do is take a couple of snaps while removing the governor and then explain them.

Dont take this the wrong way its a good tutorial minus a few parts already explained but i wouldnt call it a long time.

acg23

Reaction score
i just was careful when removing the cover and was able to reuse my gasket. workd fine.;)

brendonv

Reaction score
i just was careful when removing the cover and was able to reuse my gasket. workd fine.;)

Look out for leaking gaskets. As its already been used its already fully compressed and wont compress a lot if any to re seal it. U can get away with re using them most of the time but if u see u have a little puddle under ur engine after a few days then make a new one. I just make new ones every time. Its easier then re using and finding out its leaking and have to pull the whole thing apart again (i speak from experience, very annoying. I had already mounted it on the kart and set it up and found out it was fuking leaking the next day.)

EagleTalons

Master JB Welder
Reaction score
Indeed. I had my side cover crack out from improper torquing. Also I just threaded a bolt into my governor hole. Never backed out or anything.

Its a decent tutorial. But do it by the book ya know? Not just "oh you can redneck this together" Or use silly putty for a plug.

gocart

Reaction score
Cereal box works wonders for many gaskets. Its basically free where as gasket paper can get a bit pricey sometimes.

Dude, I really wish you had not put that idea in my head!! As soon as I get home I am gonna get serious with a razor knife and everything that even resembles a ceral box, MuHhaha!! Seriously that sounds like a good idea (asumming that I can do it fast enough to make it worth it).

gocart

Reaction score
You have really small hands... that Dave guy would love this posting. (just kidding dude, but please dont go to his farm alone)

On a side note, just to help people understand what removing the governor on an engine usually leads to, I'll use this illustration...

All pictures I'm posting btw are taken by me from the shop. Pwn.

Yup that is the first image that popped into my head when I first read the title of this thread. I once re-assembled an engine and did not realise the importance of setting the governor. When I fired it up it revved up to some ungodly speed and it did it so quick that I could not turn it off in time. It shot a rod throw the side. Now the slightest mention of the word "governor" just makes me cringe.

So exactly what do you gain by removing the governor anyway?

solomon

Reaction score
You gain more RPM witch gives you more speed, but less torque. That is a Tecumseh and the failure rate of a Tecumseh compared to a Briggs throwing rods is WAY higher. Tecumseh makes very poor quality rods.

Blazkowiez

Kart Aficionado
Reaction score
I would say these are equally low quality, removing the governor was the first thing done to modify most briggs 5hp engines when there was a solid race circuit for them...

Guess what, we couldn't keep enough blocks in stock for people blowing them up, we'd sell them every time we got a dual bearing block, it would be gone the day we put it on the shelf.

Your statements are unfounded, these engines blow up just as easily as each other. The only engine on the big 3 market that can easily hold up over 4k rpm is Honda, both Briggs and Tecumseh tend to pop on average once they go over 3800.

Ride your engine around hard and tell me how long it stays alive without the governor. Please.

gocart

Reaction score
Mine was a briggs that threw the rod. My 5hp briggs (aftermarket cam is the only mod) is way fast enough with a governor. It actually scares the hell out of me when I am driving down the street at near top speed. I dont scare easy, I have a class A skydiving license. I just cant imagine someone wanting more speed out of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.