5hp B&S coil question

Wilson_Engine_Shop

Supporter
Reaction score
I got a simple question here about a coil for a 5hp briggs. I need a new coil but I want one with a connector for a killswitch wire. Is this the correct one that i'm looking for? I'm just now learning about briggs motors and want to be absolutely sure I have the right part

Attachments

• 20200511_234125.jpg
    20200511_234125.jpg
    294.3 KB · Views: 6

JTSpeedDemon

2019 Build Off Winner!
Reaction score
Actually any Magnetron(non-points) coil has that tab. But yes, that tab is where you hook up a kill switch.
I'm not sure on points coils.

That actually looks like a coil for one of the newer OHV Briggs, get part number 397358 instead, although I'm assuming you have a flathead.

JTSpeedDemon

2019 Build Off Winner!
Reaction score
Ehhhh, it doesn't say OEM, and I've always had trouble with knockoff/aftermarket parts. Unfortunately brand new OEM 397358s are about twice the price of that one, but there's so many generic ignition coils on the market that advertise REPLACING the OEM one that I'm highly skeptical. You can try that one, but I recommend shooting for an OEM one.

Budget GoKart

Aka a kenbar
Reaction score
Oh did yall know a 5hp coil can replace most 2hp coils if they are a similar model? Mine was running points and coil type thing and i cut the wires off and put an old 5hp coil from an early 2000s engine

JTSpeedDemon

2019 Build Off Winner!
Reaction score
Sounds about right to me, all the coils are roughly the same size, plus it's cheaper for Briggs to only have to make 1 or 2 different kinds of coils.