420cc with 1" 40D series drive and 3/4" driven clutch.....questions about difference in quality/manufacturer

mike986685

Reaction score
i got a new 420cc bout a week ago,,,the plan is to fab a kart chassis using 1" tubing dies w/jd2 bender

my question is about the drive and the driven clutch choices in quality vs. the price
IN OTHER WORDS.. #1 what is the best 40 series "Driver" clutch for the money and

#2 also the best matching "Driven" clutch for the money ?

i welcome any comments, i just want to get off to a decent start with the project.

thanks,
mike.

Denny

Canned Monster
Reaction score
The best choice you can make is to use a Genuine Comet belt. The cheap belts are garbage? The Comet belts outlast the Chineseum pvc/boiled yack grease belts 10-1.
Now with that said get the cheapest kit you can find on Amazon. They are just as good as the genuine Comet and parts will interchange. But throw the belt away from the kit and replace with a Comet. Max-Torque and Dayco are good also if you can find them.

panchothedog

Reaction score
I have only purchased one 40 series torque converter. It was from O.M.B. Warehouse and am very satisfied with the product. I have 4 other karts and mini bikes all with 30 series torque converter. Some from Amazon, some from the kart vendors at a higher price. No difference at all, so l think it would be safe to say the same would be true for the 40 series. Don't buy a driver here and a driven over there. Get a whole complete set. The one I bought uses a plate that bolts to the engine, just like all of my 30 series do. It is convenient and compact. Some like to run an independent jack shaft. This is something you will need to decide before building your kart, as it will affect the design of the back of the kart.

mike986685

Reaction score
thanks to Denny and Poncho for the info.

the performance of the cheap belts has been a common theme everywhere i have looked for info. including youtube.

thanks again, i feel safer purchasing now.
mike.

mike986685

Reaction score
yeah when i start making some progress ill put up some pictures. i ordered a backing plate for the 40 series setup so now im wondering about any opinions on chain size for a 420cc. ive seen the most common sizes for karts/mini bikes are #35,40,41 and 420. im not planning on building a pure offroad buggy style with full roll cage etc. because of the added weight/material cost. so far im thinking about tire size between 14-16" . i live in a small town but dont own private land to ride on so i still want decent cornering on paved roads. im also planning on using split rear sprockets for easier ratio changes. the #35 chain seems a little small compared to the others for the engine size but ive never done it so any comments are Welcome.

mike.

panchothedog

Reaction score
#35 is too light. 40, 41, 420 are all interchangeable. #40 chain is a little wider than the others and at times can present clearance problems. When you purchase a 40 series torque converter I doubt that it will come with a #35 sprocket. Get a 60 tooth axle sprocket for a #420 chain and you'll be good to go.

mike986685

Reaction score
WOW, fast response man, i just came back in here from ebay looking at tooth count ratios and other stuff, so what size #420 chain/sprocket do you think i should start with for the small sprocket on the driven 3/4" ?

mike986685

Reaction score
do you guys know anything about installing a voltage regulator into a 12v dc system on a go kart with a 12v battery etc. for front light etc.

ive looked at a few of them and the 4 wire harness/pigtail wiring seems to be pretty common but still want MORE input from people who can advise how this setup works?

thanks mike.

Denny

Canned Monster
Reaction score
You should not need a voltage regulator. The system only puts out about 3 amps. If you want a real electrical system put a GM alternator from a 75-90 on the engine. It has a built in regulator and puts out 65 amps.

mike986685

Reaction score
question about rpm gauges ..... ive finally received the 40 series backing plate and clutch/pulley combo to bolt onto the engine and now im waiting on the sprockets and chain from different places. SO THE QUESTION IS.. what is the most consistant /usable digital rpm gauge when running predator 420cc engines??

Denny

Canned Monster
Reaction score
I use my ears, but i am professionally trained. Other than diagnostics no real need for a tachometer. Now with those two things out of the way people have had good luck with Tiny Tachs and other similar products from Amazon..

panchothedog

Reaction score
RPM GAGE ? If you leave the govoner in it will take care of that. 3600. If you remove the govoner, PLEASE do so correctly by replacing the rod and flywheel.
Any additional hop up parts: the RPM will never be enough. No tachometer needed either way. Suite yourself, but if you are building a kart from scratch and powering it with a 420, stock or otherwise the weight penalty for adding a roll cage will be negetable at best with that kind of power. The saftey it COULD
add might be priceless.

Denny

Canned Monster
Reaction score
Now a taco meter us a whole nother thing entirely and an explanation of that would get me kicked off the board. Wait you have a JD 2 bender but do not know the proper name for a tach? Me thinks something is foul here. and for once it is not I.

Big Bob

Reaction score
I also am going a stage 1 420. Go Power sports sells a nice one. But I think they use a 5/8” driven shaft.
with the torque of the 420 the TAV plate is key. You don’t want the flex a wimpy plate would have. The Go Power has a nice steel plate. OMB sells a heavy duty plate as well.