420cc with 1" 40D series drive and 3/4" driven clutch.....questions about difference in quality/manufacturer

Big Bob

Reaction score
do you guys know anything about installing a voltage regulator into a 12v dc system on a go kart with a 12v battery etc. for front light etc.

ive looked at a few of them and the 4 wire harness/pigtail wiring seems to be pretty common but still want MORE input from people who can advise how this setup works?

thanks mike.
They make a second coil kit that about doubles the amp output. It has a simple to install voltage regulator. The stock 420 uses 1 coil. It puts out around 3 amps. If you retain the stock flywheel you can add a coil and regulator.

Attachments

• 1A9D89B1-38FE-4250-887E-F5345546F3D9.jpeg
    1A9D89B1-38FE-4250-887E-F5345546F3D9.jpeg
    125.8 KB · Views: 3

redflash

Reaction score
Big bob, Every 420 has a 1 inch drive shaft......so a series 40 torque converter would have to have a 1 inch center drive.

Da redflash

Big Bob

Reaction score
Big bob, Every 420 has a 1 inch drive shaft......so a series 40 torque converter would have to have a 1 inch center drive.

Da redflash
I was referring to the driven pulley shaft, not the engine. I just think a 5/8” shaft is too small.

Big Bob

Reaction score
The best choice you can make is to use a Genuine Comet belt. The cheap belts are garbage? The Comet belts outlast the Chineseum pvc/boiled yack grease belts 10-1.
Now with that said get the cheapest kit you can find on Amazon. They are just as good as the genuine Comet and parts will interchange. But throw the belt away from the kit and replace with a Comet. Max-Torque and Dayco are good also if you can find them.
Amen. Years ago I had a 5 hp flathead briggs on a fairly heavy tote goat. The 30 series TAV used some off breed belt. Tore them up quick. Went to a USA Comet belt and never burned up a belt again. The driver and driven were Comet. But whoever I bought it from sent it with 2 crap belts.

madprofessor

"Loose Cannon Creations"
Reaction score
If you retain the stock flywheel you can add a coil and regulator.
Disclaimer: I could be wrong. Too lazy right now to check on it, but don't you mean staying with the aftermarket stock flywheel that comes with the 2nd coil? I've tried to find a flywheel with 2 or more magnets for a Predator 212 to support the extra coil, and failed completely. All the kits came with a flywheel that was only rated like a stock one, so no governor removal if also increasing the valve springs. That would be a grenade complete with supersonic shrapnel.

Big Bob

Reaction score
Disclaimer: I could be wrong. Too lazy right now to check on it, but don't you mean staying with the aftermarket stock flywheel that comes with the 2nd coil? I've tried to find a flywheel with 2 or more magnets for a Predator 212 to support the extra coil, and failed completely. All the kits came with a flywheel that was only rated like a stock one, so no governor removal if also increasing the valve springs. That would be a grenade complete with supersonic shrapnel.
The billet flywheels have no magnets inside. Just the magnet on the outside for ignition. He was referring to the stock engine. I wouldn’t run it over 4500 rpm with the stock flywheel.
if you have an electric start 420 and use a billet flywheel you can get a thin A belt pulley between the engine and driver pulley and run a small alternator off that. In the long run that is the best way as you’ll have ample amperage to run lights and that huge boom box.

Big Bob

Reaction score
You don’t need a second magnet. The electric start models use an internal magnet. But you can double up on coils and put out more juice. Stock flywheel. And again, no performance flywheel I’ve ever seen has the magnets.

Big Bob

Reaction score
Yeah, that was it. Only billet flywheels I found when searching that way for the dual magnets were just like that, 1 for the ignition only.
I just ordered a Duromax 440 for my kart. For now I'm staying with the low RPM's and stock flywheel. I did get a second charging coil. If I go hotrod (which I know I will eventually!) I'll go with a ARC Billet rod and flywheel and run a pulley off the TAV with a fixed magnet alternator. 1668007288882.png

Big Bob

Reaction score
I wonder if a guy could integrate the alternator to run direct off the TAV driver. Like a inline coupler.

Big Bob

Reaction score
You probably could but it would not be overdriven to supply any meaningful amperage.
You are correct. But I figure you spend a majority of time at 1500 or higher rpm running around. I wager a 1000 rpm alternator would put out a lot more than the factory charging coil.

Denny

Canned Monster
Reaction score
While that may be true. Remember a GM alternator is usually over driven at 6:1. So for every thousand rpm the engine turns the rotor in the alternator forms at 6,000 rpm. Think about it.

Big Bob

Reaction score
While that may be true. Remember a GM alternator is usually over driven at 6:1. So for every thousand rpm the engine turns the rotor in the alternator forms at 6,000 rpm. Think about it.
You are correct. If and when I go to a alternator I'll run a 4"-5" pulley between the TAV driver and engine. Looks like a lot of room there. I may be able to attach it to the inner surface of the driver. I don't even have my TAV yet, so it'll be a while.

mike986685

Reaction score
I also am going a stage 1 420. Go Power sports sells a nice one. But I think they use a 5/8” driven shaft.
with the torque of the 420 the TAV plate is key. You don’t want the flex a wimpy plate would have. The Go Power has a nice steel plate. OMB sells a heavy duty plate as well.
i found a 1/4" steel backing plate thats set up with a 3/4" jack shaft on ebay that seems fairly flat and square considering the welding around the bearing tube.

mike986685

Reaction score
yeah i thought the same thing,,, i paid a guy on ebay 168 bucks for a 1/4" multi engine pattern drilled backing plate that had a 3/4" jack installed through the bearings with two 3/4" locking collars to use as you please.... i had to wait a long time but its a solid squared up alignment now that i finally got it set up with both pulleys. i just cant work very fast anymore due to recent med. stuff .