• OFF TOPIC fun forum - NO politics - NO religion - NO jerks. It's not complicated. Thanks!

3D manual clutches are no more !

Joe-405

Enjoying New Projects
Reaction score
3D manual clutches has closed their doors except for replacement left over parts. So if you need something I suggest you get it now.

Just thought I would share.

JTSpeedDemon

2019 Build Off Winner!
Reaction score
Dadgummit! :mad:

I was hopin' to get one, but oh well. I guess Max-Torques are my foreseeable future! Unless a 3D clutch pops up on Ebay......:stir:

mckutzy

Reaction score
Well I kinda bought into the craze back in a few years ago... Got a dbr 1 type clutch.
It didn't work out too well in the end, for them and the clutch...
The 3d clutch, is one of the brothers, and it's not all that cheap.
I'm not sure what happened with them, but I'm assuming that it wasn't the craze it was all meant to be...

Kartorbust

Reaction score
I'm not surprised at all. They had been talking about releasing a 1" clutch for a long time but never did. Would have been nice to have seen it. Though very few people even knew about them. To me it seemed like it would have worked better than a centrifugal clutch for higher gearing without risking burning up the clutch. Is what it is though. Sucks, but no one knew about them.

Joe-405

Enjoying New Projects
Reaction score
Don’t worry I had one also. And never used and didn’t like it either they don’t have a in between and you really couldn’t slip them for dragbike use.

mckutzy

Reaction score
It was difficult to use properly.... I kinda wished I had used the money for a 3-4 plate race clutch....
Better spent money for that, and much more customizable for your specific application.
Im also sad they didnt go for a 1" clutch variant aswell, as that probably could have kept the company afloat for a bit longer I reckon.

Kartorbust

Reaction score
I would have too. Surprised with several YouTubers actually getting one, they didn't get more popular. Is what it is.

itsid

Staff member
Reaction score
a manual clutch without a gearbox is about as usefull as a volleyball racket.

Yes the idea seemed nice, but frankly it does exactly what a well tuned in cent clutch would do...
and with that a well tuned cent clutch is the far more reliable and achieveeable item to get.

If yomeone would've made a nice adaptable 3spd gearbox (or six speed) THEN a manual clutch would've been an absolute must have item.
(then again.. a wet clutch in the gearbox case would be the way to go right ;))

Ah well.. nice idea.. not exactly usefull though IMHO

'sid

Flyinhillbilly

The great cornholio
Reaction score
I thought about getting them for my open modified karts so that they could be push started rather than having to run out on the track carrying a starter box, but I wasn’t sure they’d hold the power.

itsid

Staff member
Reaction score
fair point...
bu frankly ... getting push started is way more expensive than carrying a starterbox
(true paid in beers but ... many such over a season I guess :D)

'sid

Flyinhillbilly

The great cornholio
Reaction score
fair point...
bu frankly ... getting push started is way more expensive than carrying a starterbox
(true paid in beers but ... many such over a season I guess :D)

'sid

That’s true, something else I thought about is the fact that I very rarely have to restart one during a race. They usually run like a top.

JTSpeedDemon

2019 Build Off Winner!
Reaction score
Well I guess I should update: 3D just recently finished changing owners, they're back into production! :wai:

Kartorbust

Reaction score
Glad the transfer of new ownership has gone through and stuff should be shipping. One thing I noticed missing from the catalog is the go kart clutch handle that sits behind the steering wheel. But did see that they add(?) 25lb and 50lb springs.