30 cents a pound engines

gegcorp2012

Reaction score
I rescued this Kohler Command 25 from the local scrap yard today. When I got home, I did some googling to sort out the wiring and realized I needed to grab the rectifier and possibly an ignition advance module as well.

Planning to go back tomorrow to pick some tires and front axle and other misc parts, and see if the Kohler 20 in the Craftsman 3000 is still there.

Attachments

• 20201117_133221.jpg
    20201117_133221.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 2

gegcorp2012

Reaction score
I picked up the Kohler 20 and since the wiring is much simpler, I decided to see if I could get it going the other day.

It had "Good" written on the starter so I expected the starter should work.
Screenshot_20210113-224419.jpg

To my surprise, I was able to get it to turn over and it actually popped a time or two using the ether.

I took the cover off and found it had signs of prolonged use in a very dusty environment, and was most probably overheated.... and mice had used it as a condo.

20201201_201143.jpg

It also had a head bolt that backed out far enough to hit the flywheel.
20201201_201617.jpg

It turned over, but would "stick" at TDC on the compression stroke.

Research on the interweb says overheating can cause the exhaust valve guide to be pushed out, and that affects the operation of the compression release - causing a slow crank speed when starting or "weak starter/low battery" like symptom.

I don't have a picture of it, but the exhaust valve guide was definitely pushed out a bit more than the intake side.

After watching a couple of videos on repairs on the Courage 20, I used a socket and pounded the exhaust valve guide back in a ways, but hit it one time too many before checking my progress and when I checked, it was now 2mm shorter than the intake.

20201201_210217.jpg
Anyone here have experience with the Kohler command 20 ?

I expect it may have carb issues as well.

Is it worth another $25 in parts and the effort to rescue?

Last edited:

karl

Reaction score
That was an issue with them from the factory, that was fixed later on. The bolts were too long, and bottomed out.
Not clamping the top cover all the way, and would back out.

This commonly causes the block to crack , id check that closely before anything else.

Also mouse nest, stale fuel, low/ dirty oil, or simply put getting typical homeownered, will cause valve guides to push, blown head gaskets, fun stuff. Worst case counterweight goes. Get 500 hrs ya did good.

I would not get too invested into it, myself.

The v-twin looks more promising.

Also the command is the commercial line, courage is residential. Both these engines are courage motors.

Parts can be interchanged, I have courage heads on a command for example, and 7000 series coils on a command, twins that is.
Singles are completely different between the lines.

Last edited:

gegcorp2012

Reaction score
Thanks @karl
The exhaust valve is sticking, so it looks like the SV600 thumper will go back to the dump or ride a shelf for a while if I have room somewhere.

The Courage 25 looks right at home in my T bucket pile. This is mostly tractor parts and some scraps just to see what a bucket kart would be like.

20201118_115420.jpg 20201118_114825.jpg 20201118_122125.jpg

Will try to see if I can get the twin to run next.

I think the wiring diagram shows a spark advance module, but I did not see any "control" looking electronics left in the Cub when I pulled the motor.

Do I need to use any external electronics to run it?

Last edited:

karl

Reaction score
Do I need to use any external electronics to run it?

You got the fancy 3 tab, digital coils?

You should just need the engine's harness, that connects them. Maybe.
They got phased out.

If one goes bad, replace both, the replacement part # supersedes to 32 584 08-S, the regular ol coil
yall are familiar with, only one tab for a kill wire. Or if you find another donor, it likley has these coils.

gegcorp2012

Reaction score
Oops, I was wrong in previous posts... both of these engines are from the Courage line, the consumer type as you said.

20210115_224834.jpg

Sticker from the 25 HP SV730.
Spec sheet says 45 ft lbs of torque !

This one is in much better shape, it's cleaner and the oil is golden, but low on the stick.

I looked up the model number and downloaded the service manual and it shows the wiring diagrams for two wire and three wire coils, so I will pop the top and see which one I have and go from there.

Last edited:

Mr_mcrib212

Inmate #2148
Reaction score
I picked up the Kohler 20 and since the wiring is much simpler, I decided to see if I could get it going the other day.

It had "Good" written on the starter so I expected the starter should work.
View attachment 124877

To my surprise, I was able to get it to turn over and it actually popped a time or two using the ether.

I took the cover off and found it had signs of prolonged use in a very dusty environment, and was most probably overheated.... and mice had used it as a condo.

View attachment 124874

View attachment 124876

It turned over, but would "stick" at TDC on the compression stroke.

Research on the interweb says overheating can cause the exhaust valve guide to be pushed out, and that affects the operation of the compression release - causing a slow crank speed when starting or "weak starter/low battery" like symptom.

I don't have a picture of it, but the exhaust valve guide was definitely pushed out a bit more than the intake side.

After watching a couple of videos on repairs on the Courage 20, I used a socket and pounded the exhaust valve guide back in a ways, but hit it one time too many before checking my progress and when I checked, it was now 2mm shorter than the intake.

View attachment 124875
Anyone here have experience with the Kohler command 20 ?

I expect it may have carb issues as well.

Is it worth another $25 in parts and the effort to rescue?
lol if mice have been using this as a condo I wonder how much the rent was