3.1kWh Chevy Volt Battery Upgrade

EpsilonZero

...still cheaper than a boat!
Reaction score
I think where you read of increased tire press. could fix wheel hop,, that they were smok'n someth'n...

What bounces better & easier ,, a basketball full of air, or one that's half inflated ??
I think the line of thinking was somehow too much grip and the higher pressure lowering it in the context of racing karts running very low pressures to start with. It just didn't apply to my situation.

Next, we'll see how it goes with yet another new motor. I ordered an ME1719 since my available voltage has increased. I am wasting the extra voltage since the ME1717 was already able to run past 5500rpm with just the 51.2v battery. Time to trade some unused rpm for 50% more torque.

KMEFA

Reaction score
I think the line of thinking was somehow too much grip and the higher pressure lowering it in the context of racing karts running very low pressures to start with. It just didn't apply to my situation.

Next, we'll see how it goes with yet another new motor. I ordered an ME1719 since my available voltage has increased. I am wasting the extra voltage since the ME1717 was already able to run past 5500rpm with just the 51.2v battery. Time to trade some unused rpm for 50% more torque.
That ought to rip !

EpsilonZero

Reaction score
Looks like you might of startled your neighbor a bit .. LOL :p
That one is always eyeing my kart. My wife told me he about turns backwards watching me drive while he is riding his lawnmower. He says he can't build one because his wife barely tolerates his cigar and brandy hobbies. I lucked out in the wife department and get to be a big kid. :love:

KMEFA

Reaction score
I went out for a cruise this eve, & showed the neighbor across the street my Kart.
He goes, ''no way'',, that things got reverse !
Then I showed him the brake light also, ect. ect.. ;)

He's got a cool yard Kart with a ''ripp'n'' HS-50 ''old Tech. flat head ''on it.
Basically got it for his teenage kids,, but I think I might of just talked him into putting some lights & flags on it,, so ''he'' can go cruise with us. :cool:

Last edited:

EpsilonZero

Reaction score
Yeah, reverse that is taken for granted with electric builds is like alien tech for a lot of the ICE builds. We only have two karts around here; one is mine and the other is my son's. Plenty of ATVs, golf carts, and minibikes that are illegal on the road but zero other go-karts which are actually legal. Crazy.

KMEFA

Reaction score
The cool thing where I live outside of Cedar Rapids in this ''huge'' subdivision is,, everybody has golf Karts ,ATV'S,, ect. ect.,, & the local Sheriff doesn't mind a bit.
The Golf Karts & ATV'S,, actually have a special sticker that they pay for every year,, so they can cruise the streets.
I haven't had any troubles at all with the Mini bikes,, & the Sheriff has seen me cruising my Kart a few times already also,, & just waves back @ me. :cool:
We even scoop the loop in the small town by here on our Mini bikes,, & you also see the Golf Kart Guys cruising around all over the place with open containers, like they are drinking pop or something. LOL.

P/S,,
I took the sticker off the motor on my Kart.
County ordinance has a wattage limit of 500 for electrics.
If I ever did get hassled, I would just tell them that it's like,, 490 watts. 😚
They wouldn't have a clue anyways … ;)

Last edited:

IckyRick

Reaction score
How did you get the voltage from 44v from a Volt battery chunk up to 48v for the motor?

LSDOG

Reaction score
What is the type of you batteries and what is the spec of the motor
I will try to help you, I found out that the 18650 are the lightest batteries compering to there energy density but they take more room, maybe there are better batteries that I don't heard about them