2017 - Vintage Predator Kart Build

Status
Not open for further replies.

ond

Reaction score
Hey guys I'm glad to be here and thought I'de like to try my hand at building a vintage go kart chassis . I've got a tubing bender and some 1'' tubing. But no vintage kart engine so I'll probably just use a Predator 212 engine.

This is my pile of stuff ! :idea2:

After bending up the seat frame I drilled a hole in each end of the tubing so I could plug weld in a slider tube to join the seat frame to the front frame tubes.

landuse

Staff member
Reaction score
Please read the rules regarding entering the contest, especially the one about needing a sign with the password. Your log will then get moved to the appropriate build log section

I look forward to your build

ond

Reaction score
Thanks Kartorbust ! I'll be sure to re-jet or drill the original jet .

---------- Post added at 06:51 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:48 PM ----------

I've got a little more done on this build...still don't look like much yet.

ond

Reaction score
I am liking it. Keep the updates coming.

Can't wait to see the finished kart. Hope it'll exceed expectations.

Thanks Guys ! and I'll do my best .:thumbsup:

---------- Post added at 09:43 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:40 PM ----------

I've ordered a couple of 5'' wheels with some slick tires...and hopefully there close to the right size.

ond

Reaction score
Got the wheels and tires in for the front. Wheels are 5" Tri Stars with 5/8'' bearings and the tires 11 X4.00 - 5 slicks and new tubes.

Went to TSC last night and picked up a piece of 1"1/2 wide 1/4'' thick flat stock to make the spindle hangers from. Cut a couple of 2''1/2 pieces and 4 that were 2'' wide to make the spindle hangers out of , then welded them all up.

ond

Reaction score
Used a washer to trace out the outer hanger area, then ground them down and buffed them smooth.

---------- Post added at 04:57 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:43 PM ----------

Cut the front axle down to the width I wanted and welded on the spindle brackets with a 7 degree tilt inward at the top and a 7 degree tilt rearward at the top.

Leveled the chassis front to back and from side to side and welded on the axle bolts "level". Also made some 1'' spacers to move the wheel out from the spindle.

Worked on the spindles and tie rods today, also got a steering column loop made and installed. I used some tie rods and ends from a old Chinese four wheeler. I had to make them a little longer but seemed to work out OK.
Set the tie rod brackets at 105 degrees from the spindle.

ond

Reaction score
I'm thinking that the 5'' wheels and tires are going to work out just fine on the front. Now I have to figure out the rear, probably 6'' wheels and tires with a live axle.

B.M.800

TheBeal.
Reaction score
Is that just a sheet of plywood you are building on?
How do you figure out where the bends need to be?

Looks great at any rate! :thumbsup:

That minibike in you picture, is it a powel? 2 speed?

ond

Reaction score
Thanks B.M.800 ! As far as the sheet of plywood, yes It is ..2 pieces of 1/2'' plywood on a roll around table. It makes it easier to move back and forth to the welder.
Bends are just measured out from the beginning of the dye , the 1'' dye that's on my bender now has a 3'' radius.
The Powell is a 1969 Challenger with a shifter for different range of speeds.

B.M.800

TheBeal.
Reaction score
Ive seen pictures of those bikes (Yours is very nice by the way!), but Ive never seen the multi speed setup together. I dont if Ive just missed it or what, would you mind sharing a few pictures of yours?

ond

Reaction score
Sure its really pretty simple. The engine itself is on a tilt mount, the shifter bolts to the side of the engine...so the whole engine tilts back and forth. Torque converter on the engine is a 20 series and the driven or the rear pulley is just that a pulley with the chain sprocket mounted on the other side. When you tilt the engine forward ( low range) the belt can only go up so high in the converter, when the engine is tilted to the rear (high range) the belt can go all the way to the top of the converter.
Here's a pic

B.M.800

TheBeal.
Reaction score
Cool thanks! I figured it was some sort of variable speed pulley... I always thought it would be fun to do something similar.

:thumbsup::thumbsup:

Status
Not open for further replies.