2013 - Retro Vending

Status
Not open for further replies.

Orange Krate

Reaction score
Great! As long as it is in working order wand complies with all the contest requirements, we will stick you in the list of finalists. If you have any more build pics and vids, please post them as this could influence people to vote for you

Good job

Awesome, Thanks! Will have to get video off my wifes phone and get it posted.

Ah man, you cheated on the bolt pattern, rotary table foul! Teach him how to do it using x and y, that's way more fun!

Yeah, I thought about that but this was easier on me! LOL

The best part about this project has been that he has taken ownership of it more than our go-karts, probably because he has a place to ride it. He fuels, starts, runs and fixes minor problems all on his own now which is good. On the downside...he's already been stopped by the cops once...little 1%er...LOL!

Orange Krate

Reaction score
Here's a first day ride picture and a time stamp for it. No, little sis did not ride she just wanted to pose on her big bubba's minibike:) well...she wanted to ride too
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1378278918.199630.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1378278937.986361.jpg

Orange Krate

Reaction score
I'm ecstatic we're even in the vote! I better campain a little before they get it fixed and voting resumes:)

My boy paid for this project all out of profits from his coke machine vending business, Retro Vending, and did most of the work himself. Shame we didn’t get to paint the theme or add the bottle opener taillight but it’s got a pretty groovy patina that would be a shame to destroy

Total Budget: $192
Frame = Free from neighbor!
Wheel Paint= free lying around
Coil=free from donor motor
Disk Brake Caliper, kill switch, clutch=free from neighbor’s junk box
Spent .22 shell= free lying around
Brake rotor, chain=free donated from Dad’s Northern Tool buyout box
3HP Briggs & Stratton Engine: Robbed from his go-kart
Triple tree spring=$7
Assorted nuts/bolts=$10
Tires/Tubes from Tractor Supply=$50
Bearing, axles, cables, throttle control, brake control, seat, fender, +SHIPPING from Go-Kart Galaxy= $125

Special Skills Used:
Trigonometry for finding the bolt circle on brake rotor
Using a milling machine with rotary table to make new bolt circle
Using a milling machine to shape and drill brake caliper mounting bracket
Using a bead blaster
Troubleshooting the trinity of internal combustion (compression+fuel+fire)
Bugging Dad to tear him away from other projects to help and teach!
Independently debugging, tweaking, adjusting and repairing as needed after completion

landuse

Staff member
Reaction score
I'm ecstatic we're even in the vote! I better campain a little before they get it fixed and voting resumes:)

My boy paid for this project all out of profits from his coke machine vending business, Retro Vending, and did most of the work himself. Shame we didn’t get to paint the theme or add the bottle opener taillight but it’s got a pretty groovy patina that would be a shame to destroy

Total Budget: $192
Frame = Free from neighbor!
Wheel Paint= free lying around
Coil=free from donor motor
Disk Brake Caliper, kill switch, clutch=free from neighbor’s junk box
Spent .22 shell= free lying around
Brake rotor, chain=free donated from Dad’s Northern Tool buyout box
3HP Briggs & Stratton Engine: Robbed from his go-kart
Triple tree spring=$7
Assorted nuts/bolts=$10
Tires/Tubes from Tractor Supply=$50
Bearing, axles, cables, throttle control, brake control, seat, fender, +SHIPPING from Go-Kart Galaxy= $125

Special Skills Used:
Trigonometry for finding the bolt circle on brake rotor
Using a milling machine with rotary table to make new bolt circle
Using a milling machine to shape and drill brake caliper mounting bracket
Using a bead blaster
Troubleshooting the trinity of internal combustion (compression+fuel+fire)
Bugging Dad to tear him away from other projects to help and teach!
Independently debugging, tweaking, adjusting and repairing as needed after completion

That is what the spirit of this forum is all about. Teaching kids and others how to do things themselves and stay away from other distractions like TV's and games. :thumbsup:

firemanjim

Just kartin' around....
Reaction score
I've used that brake before and its NOT the best,BUT you can make it work a little better by extending the brake lever a little. It will give you more leverage and make it easier to squeeze it HARDER..... nice build..... my son probably wint get his buggy painted fir the same reason.... lol

Oxymoron

Newbesque builder.
Reaction score
I love seeing the kids getting involved in the builds. This is great. Kudos to your son for doing this on his own, especially earning the money. You're a good dad.

Good job guys :cornut:

Status
Not open for further replies.