2013 - Retro Vending

Status
Not open for further replies.

Orange Krate

Reaction score
I'm submitting this one by proxy. My boy is planning to expand his vending business ( http://retrovending.weebly.com/ ) this summer and needs some wheels to reach his new locations. He wants it finished by the end of spring break. That would would be great! Might inspire me too LOL!
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1362181000.444200.jpg

Doc Sprocket

Reaction score
I'll qualify this for sure, but any chance you can get your son to sign up??? *hint* ;)

To the masses: Contest rules DO dictate that you must be a DIYGK member. I'll vouch for him, and Orange Krate will take full responsibility.

Now sign your son up! *hinty, hint hint!!!* :D

Orange Krate

Reaction score
Some progress on this one. Working anyway...

I get the hint but, I'm using the minibike project as a tool to curb his digital fixations. Mine-bike over Minecraft!
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1363079974.947730.jpg

exenos

Project Nut
Reaction score
Minecraft is one of the better addictions related to computers at least. Dam fun game too.

Will this clasify as a scooter in Texas?

Orange Krate

Reaction score
Toad the white sprocket. LOL!
The wheels turned out pretty good after a day of straightening, beadblasting and painting. They were pretty rusty and the sprocket was bent about a 1/4 inch. But, the boy is still going to run over budget as it is so we had to salvage. We straightened it with a steering wheel puller and a wood splitting mall.

The frame is set up to run disc brakes on the drive sprocket but I didn't want to mess up the purdy white paint. So, since the hub was set up to accept a rotor too we're swapping sides.

Couldn't find a three hole pattern brake rotor so for now I just grabbed another sprocket out of the toy box and drilled in an additional three hole pattern. Taught him how to use trigonometry to find the radius. Math on spring break!!?? What an awful dad I am!!!

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1363200266.815598.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1363200732.692785.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1363200952.652996.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1363201298.850141.jpg

Orange Krate

Reaction score
Got the coca cola bottle opener in yesterday. Going to mount a red LED bicycle taillight behind it to shine through the opening.

I meant the Orange Crush diamond logo in lieu of the B&S logo. But yeah, she could really "get your motor runnin'!" LOL

Orange Krate

Reaction score
Dang! All of my projects hit a major stall! I don't know what flushing toilets for a family of 6 takes priority over go-karts and mini-bikes. I should have done a more builds thread on my DIY septic system. But, I didn't want any record of it for any permit people to find.

Hope to be active again here soon!!

landuse

Staff member
Reaction score
Dang! All of my projects hit a major stall! I don't know what flushing toilets for a family of 6 takes priority over go-karts and mini-bikes. I should have done a more builds thread on my DIY septic system. But, I didn't want any record of it for any permit people to find.

Hope to be active again here soon!!

That must have been a crappy job :D

Orange Krate

Reaction score
Alright, after a septic system, a new roof and a 11 state family vacation, it's now summer and we gotta get this thing done.

I'm a band brake guy and new to these disc brakes. How do you mount these type calipers? I can't find any good pics to reference.

btw, we're not using it on the driven sprocket, this was just an easy way for me to make a rotor because it had the correct bore already. I plan to mill off the teeth...just haven't yet.
The frame is set up to run disc brakes on the drive sprocket but I didn't want to mess up the purdy white paint. So, since the hub was set up to accept a rotor too we're swapping sides.

Couldn't find a three hole pattern brake rotor so for now I just grabbed another sprocket out of the toy box and drilled in an additional three hole pattern. Taught him how to use trigonometry to find the radius. Math on spring break!!?? What an awful dad I am!!!

Doc Sprocket

Reaction score
You'll have to fab up a bracket that allows the caliper to float laterally over the rotor (sprocket). That particular type of caliper only pushes the pad from one side, relying on caliper float to equalize pressure on both sides of the rotor.

FWIW- I have no problem with the concept of braking the driven sprocket directly. As long as you have sufficient clearance for the chain to pass through the caliper without interference, you're fine. You'd just have to avoid getting too sloppy with chain oiling, that's all.

GregMartin

I like fast cars
Reaction score
Yeah
I used a caliper similar to this one. You might be able to get some ideas from my old posts "Greg's gokart project".

But basically I replaced the bolts that hold the caliper together with ones about an 1 1/2" longer and fabricated a bracket to allow the caliper to slide on the bracket via the longer bolts. ( if this makes any sense). The idea is they the caliper will self centre as the pads wear.

It's a bit hard to describe ImageUploadedByTapatalk1372759915.419630.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1372760447.369989.jpg
So here are some pics.
Sorry they are not that good.
The bracket is just a couple of peaces of plate welded to the frame. They have holes drilled to allow the long caliper bolts to slide laterally.
It actually work very well.
Anyway hope this helps.

Edit
This picture might be better
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/07/02/a2yzabe8.jpg

Attachments

• a2yzabe8.jpg
    a2yzabe8.jpg
    85.7 KB · Views: 21
Last edited by a moderator:

Orange Krate

Reaction score
Dang! Summer went fast! Finally got back on the job. Hopefully have it rolling and stopping today. Will post pics of the brake setup once it works.

Other updates: the boy's once running go-kart donor motor would not start. Had him check for fuel, then fire to find none. He tore it down to the points and filed them...no fire. He nutted up and grabbed the wire only to get a tiny tingle. THEN I showed him how to use a multimeter. We had maybe 2 volts but in time.

He robbed the coil off one of our junk motors, swapped it out and BAM! We got a runnin motor again. Also added a kill wire while we were in there. Hope to make a test run this weekend before we tear it back down to paint!ImageUploadedByTapatalk1376462312.203720.jpg

Orange Krate

Reaction score
Made a pre-paint maiden voyage today! Not calling it official though because the boy's mama wouldn't let him ride it w/o a helmet. Just enough to know the brakes still ain't right yet. Not a big fan of these disc brakes...or minibikes for that matter. Give me four wheels and a brake band lol!

A lot of bugs to work out and not much time left!

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1376775304.480177.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1376775322.097603.jpg

Orange Krate

Reaction score
Man! Technically we DID finish this per the "fully functioning" criteria but I was too bust to post an update. It's ok, we didn't fo much actual building and never finished the theme paint and details.

What happened was we got it running enugh to "iron out the bugs" and he wouldn't let me tear it back down to paint...having too much fun riding it:lolgoku:

landuse

Staff member
Reaction score
Man! Technically we DID finish this per the "fully functioning" criteria but I was too bust to post an update. It's ok, we didn't fo much actual building and never finished the theme paint and details.

What happened was we got it running enugh to "iron out the bugs" and he wouldn't let me tear it back down to paint...having too much fun riding it:lolgoku:

Great! As long as it is in working order wand complies with all the contest requirements, we will stick you in the list of finalists. If you have any more build pics and vids, please post them as this could influence people to vote for you

Good job

loud1

Fat Guy On a Little Bike
Reaction score
Ah man, you cheated on the bolt pattern, rotary table foul! Teach him how to do it using x and y, that's way more fun!

Status
Not open for further replies.