2013 - Ariel Atom Kart

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jay Gould

Reaction score
Welding issues

I was hoping no one would notice but you found out that welding isn't my strong point. You're correct, it is a flux core and I probably haven't cleaned the weld every time like I should. Most of the joints are still just tacked together because I didn't want to weld anything solid until I'm sure it's where I want it. The welder has a High / Low setting and I've been trying to use the high setting as much as possible without burning through. It seems to weld better. The biggest problem is I get into too big of a hurry and I probably should take more time to get a better weld. When it's all done I should probably go over each weld to make sure it's solid.
Thanks for the concern. Constructive criticism and advice are always welcome.

mckutzy

Reaction score
Your going to need to grind off most. brush, then reweld. Dont get into much whiping about with the gun. Also try a laying the bead(Left to right) technique with a short stick out. Its going to be a challenge cause of being round tube, but thats the nature of the beast.

Jay Gould

Reaction score
We sanded, primed and sprayed a little paint on the front end to see if we like the color. I don’t have the coilovers yet so I temporarily welded some tubes in place for the suspension. There’s a lot to do yet but I think it’s just about ready for a short test drive.

Attachments

• IMG_0674.jpg
    IMG_0674.jpg
    113.9 KB · Views: 125
  • IMG_0679.jpg
    IMG_0679.jpg
    120.4 KB · Views: 94

itsid

Staff member
Reaction score
Wow,
I never really liked the Atom very much (I'd rather drive an XBow)
But this is just great, you did a great job so far, and I am sure within just a few days,
your boy is the happiest Kid on wheels in this galaxy!
Simply amazing what you did in those few weeks.

'sid
(bit jealous right now ;))

Jay Gould

Reaction score
Ariel Atom Kart First Test Drive

This is our first test drive. I'm waiting for some bearings that go on the inside of the plates on the rear axles. The rear tires are sagging because the axles are only supported on the outside but I let my son drive it a few feet in the driveway.

That's the big smile I've been waiting to see!

Next we will strip it down and go over all the welds on the frame and then sand and paint.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I1IRMg7i6Dw

machinist@large

Reaction score
These are some of the parts we are removing from the 3 wheel cart to use on our Ariel Atom Kart. They're kind of greasy and grimy but I think we will fit them on the kart first and then take it back apart and clean and polish everything. It's definitely going to need new wiring.

Looking at these photo's, I have to ask (because I don't know the answer) this type of speed control seems to be a sliding bar contact with these really massive resistor coils to damp/ control the speed of the motor; now here is my question (?'s); is this setup controlling the amperage or the voltage to the motor?

The only DC motors I have any experience with fall into Two categories;

1] the blower motor for the heater in my truck just let the smoke out/ the little coil thingie that regulates the fan speed just went nuclear (flash bulb); or,

2] DC brush type servo motors driven by a CNC control thru a dedicated DC driver with feed back loop.

What exactly are we looking at here?:surrender:

exenos

Project Nut
Reaction score
Looking at these photo's, I have to ask (because I don't know the answer) this type of speed control seems to be a sliding bar contact with these really massive resistor coils to damp/ control the speed of the motor; now here is my question (?'s); is this setup controlling the amperage or the voltage to the motor?

The only DC motors I have any experience with fall into Two categories;

1] the blower motor for the heater in my truck just let the smoke out/ the little coil thingie that regulates the fan speed just went nuclear (flash bulb); or,

2] DC brush type servo motors driven by a CNC control thru a dedicated DC driver with feed back loop.

What exactly are we looking at here?:surrender:

Should be the voltage.

itsid

Staff member
Reaction score
Always Both!

Its a resistor setup, and resistance is defined as the ratio of voltage across it to current through it.
R= V/I :D

If you put voltage in you get current out and the other way around...

'sid

Jay Gould

Reaction score
Assembly and short drive

After painting the frame we assembled the go kart and my son took it for a short drive. We have it geared pretty slow right now but will speed it up after we make sure everything works ok. (Like brakes) There is still more to do but at least he can drive it while I finish making the rest of the parts.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i2cxVnQ8WIc&feature=youtu.be

Attachments

• IMG_0902.jpg
    IMG_0902.jpg
    67 KB · Views: 70
  • IMG_0864.jpg
    IMG_0864.jpg
    114.9 KB · Views: 49
  • IMG_0847.jpg
    IMG_0847.jpg
    126.7 KB · Views: 53
  • IMG_0832.jpg
    IMG_0832.jpg
    102.1 KB · Views: 46

Jay Gould

Reaction score
Prototype Mirror Bracket on a 3D Printer

We want to add mirrors to the go kart and mount them with custom made aluminum brackets but we weren’t sure exactly where they should go so we made a prototype on our 3D Printer. If the prototype looks good then I will machine them out of aluminum. We designed and built the 3D Printer ourselves so my son could make his own action figures but we’ve found a lot of other uses for it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BiZR3-Ox7Ao&feature=youtu.be

Attachments

• IMG_0365.jpg
    IMG_0365.jpg
    87.9 KB · Views: 43
  • IMG_0374.jpg
    IMG_0374.jpg
    152 KB · Views: 56
  • EV-mirror.jpg
    EV-mirror.jpg
    76.1 KB · Views: 49
  • IMG_1217.jpg
    IMG_1217.jpg
    153 KB · Views: 38
  • IMG_1224.jpg
    IMG_1224.jpg
    146.1 KB · Views: 40

itsid

Staff member
Reaction score
GREAT!

Hello fellow reprapper :D (I'd know my prusa heatbed anywhere ;))
That's a .4 nozzle on 3mm filament, right?
Great results btw.
You ever thought of using a 1.7 filament with the Mk8 extruder?
It's small enough that you could easily mount two and thus print dualcolor :D
(chinese complete sets @ ebay single: #321142970959 dual: #151074014131)

Sorry.. must have been dragged off topic :(

There are quite nice pipe-clamp mirror mounts that might an alternative.

'sid

Jay Gould

Reaction score
It's actually a .5mm nozzle but we are taking what we've learned from this and are designing a new one to use 1.75mm filament. Dual extruders would be great for two color or adding support material. The Prusa heat bed works great for keeping parts flat! (back on topic) Sometimes it's more fun to make your own custom parts rather than use off the shelf, but not everyone has access to a mill or lathe.

itsid

Staff member
Reaction score
You're absolutely right, diy is just more fun.

What you could do if you don't have a mill, mill some jewellery wax with your 3d printer, it'll definitely be sturdy enough for some wax parts.

Then use that wax to make a casting mold. lost casting with some sand and aluminum isn't too hard to do in your workshop on small parts.
(tons of howtos on yt for sure ;))

'sid

scott_shot

Reaction score
I have not been on here for a fair while now and this is the first thread i had read. Very nice, great concept and looks perfect for your wee man. Actually makes me want to get outside building again lol

Status
Not open for further replies.