2-stroke pocket bike engine on go kart?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jace

Reaction score
i have one of these
47cc pocket bike motors and was wondering if i put it on this go kart
..would i have pretty good speed and power. the specs say it has about 5hp the cart weighs about 210 pounds with me in it.if it would work what gear ratio would i need.?

jace

Reaction score
why will it be crap? the cart only weighs a little bit more than the pocket bike it came off of , the bike had really good pike up and a top speed of about 35 ? im probally going to end up puttting a honda gx160 clone on it ..i was just wondering becuase this engine would look alot better then the clone, i was thinking of doing a dual engine setup with two on these pocket bike engines but i couldnt figure out how to get the opposite wheel so spin the right way?

EagleTalons

Master JB Welder
Reaction score
If each tire spins by itself it with pull more to one side. Unless you have the engines perfectly synchronized. A live axle would fix this problem.

jace

Reaction score
okay ..but would it be better to have the dual pocket bike enigines or the honda clone? power and speed wise?

jace

Reaction score
Russ, from what i can tell your the person to ask about dual engines? how would i do dual engines without a live axle?

jace

Reaction score
welll i have all the stuff for a jackshaft laying around in the garage . would i just mount the motor the normal way and make a jack shaft going from the output on the engine to the sprocket on the tire?seems easy enough.but ill probaly just put the clone on it for simplicity.

Flexibel_kampfe

Hopeful for building kart
Reaction score
From my understanding:

Motor chains to jack shaft. Then the jack shaft's sprockets at each end, chain to the sprockets on the wheels....

KieranM

Doin It!!
Reaction score
if you decide to put it on the kart remember that it will be alot slower than the bike, because its a different design. its possible to do it, but the fun you will have will be minimum. You can upgrade the engine by big bore kit, replacing the reeds and performance exhaust ect and it will make it better, but the truth is, that it wont be a patch on a honda or briggs.

Flexibel_kampfe

Hopeful for building kart
Reaction score
Scour the dump for a ride on/snowmobile/motorbike/et cetera. Sometimes people throw out perfectly good things, because they upgrade, or something as small as a spark plug is shot.....

Since a 2 stroke pocket is junk for these beasts.... chances are the hp is miniscule...

jace

Reaction score
how many cc's and hp's does your avergae lawnboy,mac,homlite have becuase ive seen tons of people with those kind of engines on a cart?

Russ2251

AZUSA:Powered by LAWN-BOY
Reaction score
how many cc's and hp's does your avergae lawnboy...ive seen tons of people with those kind of engines on a cart?
Current L-B's I use are 141cc's. Factory spec HP is 6.5. My actual HP (after light mods) is unknown. Could be 8 or 8.5.

P.S. Where else have you seen a Lawn-Boy powered GoKart???

jace

Reaction score
actually a guy down the street from me has a lawn-boy powered go kart and there is a few lawnboy powered go kart on youtube.

Status
Not open for further replies.