16hp briggs cast iron single cylinder

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jhoppe

Reaction score
I was looking around the local flea market the other day and I saw what looked like an enormous briggs flathead. I have done a little research and I think it's the 16hp single cylinder. I have seen that if I am correct, the have a few different versions. Some of which would not suit a go kart. Anybody dealt with these and have some insight into which version I might want? All i can find on them is people putting them in lawn tractors. Its $45 so I'm willing to take a bit of a gamble with it. I dont have pictures right now, but will post them if it's still there when i go back

65ShelbyClone

Reaction score
I had one once and wish I still did. You can kinda tell by looking at it if you could make it work on a kart, right?

It's going to have at least a 1" shaft and a large mounting pattern, possibly larger than engines of similar power now. It's also a heavy beast.

JTSpeedDemon

2019 Build Off Winner!
Reaction score
Is it horizontal shaft? If it's vertical it's not much good for anything but a lawn mower.

Jhoppe

Reaction score
It is horizontal and it is HEAVY. I have just heard some of them are governed pretty low. Like just over 2000rpms. I would remove the governor if possible, but I've not handled briggs at all. And I cant find much on that one.

anickode

Reaction score
Those big old one-lungers are all about torque, not revs.

Really not a great go kart engine, but awesome for a pulling tractor.

JTSpeedDemon

2019 Build Off Winner!
Reaction score
They idle about 500 RPM lower than their aluminum block equivalents. DOOP DOOP DOOP!
If you put that on a true yard kart and gear it at 7/1ish, it'll probably burn out like mad! :stir:

Jhoppe

Reaction score
I figured if I did pick it up and most likely rebuild it. I would just gear it higher for that reason. Or since I would probably put it on the yerf dog, just leave it a torque monster

Jhoppe

Reaction score
I sent you a message budget. I also might have a mower chassis you could have. Pretty sure it is headed to the scrapyard. I'll have to ask if your interested

Jhoppe

Reaction score
Finally got back to the the flea market. This is the monster single cylinder I found. Now, is it actually a briggs? If not, what the deuce is it?!?

Attachments

• 20191030_145300.jpg
    20191030_145300.jpg
    254.2 KB · Views: 7
  • 20191030_145311.jpg
    20191030_145311.jpg
    179.9 KB · Views: 8
  • 20191030_145334.jpg
    20191030_145334.jpg
    221.2 KB · Views: 5
  • 20191030_145323.jpg
    20191030_145323.jpg
    243.8 KB · Views: 6

Hellion

Disc brakes are for cowards
Reaction score
It’s a Wisconsin engine. Says so right on it.

...but I hurt me neck trying to find out! :roflol: :oops:

Get yer readin’ glasses out and read da fine print, man.

JTSpeedDemon

2019 Build Off Winner!
Reaction score
I was gonna ask what that sticker on top said.
Main difference from a Briggs visually is the carb is on the other side. Time for a ram air system!!:auto:
What's yer plans for it? Wheelie machine? That thing will have ridiculous gobs of torque.

Status
Not open for further replies.