11hp go kart gearing

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
you are looking at 25mph absolute max assuming 3600rpm but close to the ground it feels like you are goung faster than you actually are

TripleT

Reaction score
So if i had 18in tires and 12t clutch would a 60t sprocket be ok on the axle?

TheWingnut

Reaction score
3:1 will give you a massive top speed, but you'll never get there because you need a taller ratio (about 6:1) to accelerate. Running at 3:1 the only thing you'll manage do is burn out your clutch

The higher the ratio the worse it is... youve got it backwards

gokart14

Reaction score
I have that exact same setup just with a 6.5 honda clone... And I will have to say it does give you good tourque along with a fairly fast speed! So with the 11 hp motor you should be good wIth that setup I think!!

mysteryboy28

Reaction score
The higher the ratio the worse it is... youve got it backwards

nope, he has it right. 6:1 = 60 tooth to 10 tooth. 7.2:1 = 72 tooth to 10 tooth, which has more torque and less speed than 6:1.

3:1 is like 30 tooth to 10 tooth. that would be bad, and would take forever to accelerate, and would burn up the clutch. top speed (if you ever got there) would be crazy fast though. lol.

TheWingnut

Reaction score
nope, he has it right. 6:1 = 60 tooth to 10 tooth. 7.2:1 = 72 tooth to 10 tooth, which has more torque and less speed than 6:1.

3:1 is like 30 tooth to 10 tooth. that would be bad, and would take forever to accelerate, and would burn up the clutch. top speed (if you ever got there) would be crazy fast though. lol.

Oh i thought he meant gear ratio :roflol:

cooperDG123

Reaction score
ok guys all i want is the most speed i can get without killing my clutch or getting stuck on a light hill what ratio should i use? is 5 to 1 ok

Reaction score
you will have slow exeleration but with your 14 inch tiers and 3600rpm you will get up to 30 mph and if you use a torque converter it will improve your exelleration and top speed

mysteryboy28

Reaction score
if you're using a centrifugal clutch then 6 to 1 is a much safer bet. your clutch will last longer, and you'll have more torque. obviously your top speed will suffer a lil bit, but that's what you get when using a centrifugal clutch.

if you're use a torque converter, then you can probably get away with 5 to 1.

mysteryboy28

Reaction score
if you're using a centrifugal clutch then 6 to 1 is a much safer bet.

Is this for any or most with a centrifugal clutch?

depends on the weight of the kart and driver, size of the tires, and the type of terrain it's going to mostly be driven on. use the speed calculator to figure out what your top speed will be. 30 mph is pretty average to have a good mix of speed and torque.

centrifugal clutches suck for anything heavy. if you weigh 90 lbs and your kart is pretty lighweight (like a 1 seater with no roll-cage), then it's a good cheap way to go. start adding weight - you're gonna want a torque converter. then you can change your gear ratio to bump your top speed up to 40 mph without sacrificing torque.

landuse

Staff member
Reaction score
14inch wheels
5.5 honda gx160
12t on the clutch
72t on my axle
1inch axle
its pretty light
i weigh 90LB

If you change out the 5.5 engine for the 11HP on this kart, you will still be getting the same speed. It all depens on how you gear your kart.

You will need at least a 7:1 ratio for your kart. Anything higher than that is a waste of time, and you will be burning clutches. A 3:1 or 4:1 is a waste of time. On ANY kart, that is waaaay too high.

Status
Not open for further replies.