11hp go kart gearing

Status
Not open for further replies.

cooperDG123

Reaction score
hey guys i got single person go kart with an 11hp engine i need help with gearing im thinking a three two one ratio. Is this a good ratio for speed. if my clutch has 12 teeth on it how many should my drive sproket be do i just multiply 12 by three to get a three to one ratio. any help would be ppreciated i need an answer quick

additional details

i only weigh 90LB
tires are 14inches
no jack shaft
11hp engine

mysteryboy28

Reaction score
60-72 teeth is very common for axle sprocket. 60 for (eventual) speed, 72 for more torque. more speed = less torque. torque is good.

post your tire size, axle sprocket tooth count and clutch tooth count. if you have a jackshaft - post the tooth counts from that too.

and pictures. post pictures.

OzFab

Reaction score
3:1 will give you a massive top speed, but you'll never get there because you need a taller ratio (about 6:1) to accelerate. Running at 3:1 the only thing you'll manage do is burn out your clutch

klicky96

Reaction score
If you are running a basic setup and have around 11"-15" tires, then you should run a 60T - 72T Axle Sprocket. The 72 will decrease your speed but increase you torque and give you a quicker take-off. With the 60, your still running at a safe ratio. But, you will get a low torque rate, meaning you won't take off as quickly. A difference of 12T can actually effect a kart greatly. When I run my basic kart. I run a 3:1 ratio, only because my tires are only 8". It depends on a lot of the weight and tire size.

exenos

Project Nut
Reaction score
with a 11hp and 14" tires you want around a 7:1 ratio if you need to go up minor hills and a 6:1 - 5:1 if it just for a flat area. I have a 6.5 hp and with 13" tiers and a 8.5:1 ratio. It has a hard time making it up the hill in my back yard.

exenos

Project Nut
Reaction score
That works great when the hill is smooth but not when it's a bumpy track. It's a little nerve wracking bookin it up a hill at 50kmh and fish tailing all over the place just too get to the top :D

cooperDG123

Reaction score
ok guys im kinda confused because i have another 5.5hp go kart with a 6 to 1 ratio and it climbs up hills very well and fast. so how could and 11hp have any trouble with a five or four to one ratio on the hills. These to karts are almost identical in size and weight.

TheWingnut

Reaction score
hey guys i got single person go kart with an 11hp engine i need help with gearing im thinking a three two one ratio. Is this a good ratio for speed. if my clutch has 12 teeth on it how many should my drive sproket be do i just multiply 12 by three to get a three to one ratio

Okay. This is how i have done my kart and this is how i have told many people to do it, and it worked for me. Now there are other ways, but this is how i got my sprocket sizes.

First, i go here. http://www.csgnetwork.com/tirerevforcecalc.html

I enter my specs. For example, you could put in 45mph, 8, and 5. I got about 746.9. Now i am going to take the rpm of the engine (the avg egine is 3600, but you should use the rpm of your engine if its different) and divide 3600 by 746.9. I got 4.81 (rounded) This is your gear ratio. Now that i have the gear ratio, i come here.
http://www.gokartsupply.com/ratios.htm
I found 4.81 under 11t clutch and the 53t final drive sprocket. And now you have your sprocket sizes.

And i understand you already have your ratio and a 12t cutch, but a 12 clutch is about average size so you can probobl still use that. And to minimize that gear ratio, u should also get a torque converter. It will give you much more power and they can help your ratio very very much.

mysteryboy28

Reaction score
4 to 1 ratio is baaaaad. 6 to 1 is already high, sucky for torque, decent for top speed. time to jackshaft it!

how many teeth axle sprocket do you have? please answer the question, we need facts.

Jcotz

...wasn't there
Reaction score
I have a 1:5 ratio with a 6.5hp clone and 12 inch tires and it definitely pulls me well. I think you should have at least a 1:5 ratio.

TheWingnut

Reaction score
You have a lot of solution sggestions here. But i seriously think that recalculating everything would be a more efficint and precise way of getting what you need

cooperDG123

Reaction score
14inch wheels
5.5 honda gx160
12t on the clutch
72t on my axle
1inch axle
its pretty light
i weigh 90LB

Status
Not open for further replies.