Roy’s Kart

dangerz

Reaction score
Thats not supposed to be that way, your pcv valve might be toast, find the crank case vent tube and disconnect it from the carb and start it up and rev it, does it spew oil out?
No oil coming out that I can see

dangerz

Reaction score
If I ride it straight and easy, no smoke. I can even floor it going straight. The second I put it into an aggressive turn, smoke and oil in the exhaust. I’m guessing it’s overfilled?

Denny

Canned Monster
Reaction score
What about vapor? You might want to be looking deeper into the engine then. You may want to look at the costs associated with rebuilding and boring the engine as opposed to just replacing it.

Edit:
You may be right it may just be overfilled. Where is the oil level on the dip stick?

dangerz

Reaction score
2438A5BC-DA45-452E-86FA-584B59CB6181.jpeg
Previous owner said the oil was fresh.. probably shouldn’t have trusted him on that. Also it’s overfilled

A fun adventure everyday.

rebuild vs new. None of them sound fun or cheap.

Last edited:

Denny

Canned Monster
Reaction score
Lots of water in there. Water is not a lubricant. You might want to flush that crankcase out a few times. That is not good! You should have changed the oil before you even started it. Or atleast checked it.

dangerz

Reaction score
Lots of water in there. Water is not a lubricant. You might want to flush that crankcase out a few times. That is not good! You should have changed the oil before you even started it. Or atleast checked it.
Yeah, mistakes were definitely made.

dangerz

Reaction score
Is there a rebuild kit for these engines? I’ve never torn an engine down fully before, but it’s worth a shot.

panchothedog

Reaction score
That oil definitely has water in it. It's the old chocolate milk shake formula. Probably was overfilled because of all the water that got in there. If you have the dip stick, or even if you don't, research and see how much oil the manuel
says it should have. After flushing it out EMPTY it completely and then measure
out the correct amount. Give it a try. You got nothing to lose. You said it had moments where it ran pretty good. Probably the only running with the bunko oil
is the little time you put on it. Might not be hurt that bad. Does it have a oil pump and pressurized system, or is it just a splash lubricating system like the smaller engines. I have read that over filling the smaller engines is actually much worse than being a little on the low side.

TNThomas

Reaction score
Damn that sucks.. really wanted a reverse gear.
You could use a beefy starter motor (from some old V-8), and put a srocket/flywheel on the rear axle. Rig it up to spin the axle in reverse when engaged. Aka push button reverse for cheap.

TNThomas

Reaction score
The leak is around the lip. I’ve been watching YouTube vids on mounting a tire, so I might try that.
Try putting a pair of vise grips on the rim, acts like a wall/stop. Start on the opposite side and push down with body weight, working your way towards the pliars. Add lube as you go, you might need a screwdriver for the last bit. I did two today doing this.

Attachments

• 20220309_213902.jpg
    20220309_213902.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 2

TNThomas

Reaction score
If I ride it straight and easy, no smoke. I can even floor it going straight. The second I put it into an aggressive turn, smoke and oil in the exhaust. I’m guessing it’s overfilled?
Look through that Facebook 670 page you joined, im in there too, but these engines seem to have incorrect oil levels. "Full" is essentially over-filled. As such, alot of guys run these about a half quart low. Double check on this, but I know its a thing. Nice setup btw! Your tourqe converter (Comet 780) is the proper one for that engine too, alot folks get that wrong for the 670. And the jackshaft is the proper way to go as well, lots of folks have issues with these eating belts if its mounted on a plate (like almost all 30-40-series are). Goodluck!

Denny

Canned Monster
Reaction score
Yes it has a pressurized lubrication system and oil filter. There is no known rebuild kit for these engines that I know of. I would just run it until it starts to make noise then go out and buy a new one. By the time you got done paying for machine work, pistons, rings, rods, crank welded up, oil pump, filters, gaskets and seals, camshaft and lifters and valves. You would have over 2x the cost of a new one in it. Who knows it could end up being fine.

FlyFrog

Reaction score
Yes it has a pressurized lubrication system and oil filter. There is no known rebuild kit for these engines that I know of. I would just run it until it starts to make noise then go out and buy a new one. By the time you got done paying for machine work, pistons, rings, rods, crank welded up, oil pump, filters, gaskets and seals, camshaft and lifters and valves. You would have over 2x the cost of a new one in it. Who knows it could end up being fine.
i run all junky engines like that

dangerz

Reaction score
I’ve done 2 oil changes so far and it’s looking better each time. My daughter and I had a ton of fun riding around today. Carb needs some tuning, but overall its running awesome. I’m going to change the oil a couple more times over the next few days to really get it cleaned out.

Also, removed the spring/pin from the starting solenoid. Now it starts up consistently. Got some fresh spark plugs on the way and a friend is going to fix the tire for me. Pretty happy with how it turned out!

Denny

Canned Monster
Reaction score
Glad it is all working out for you!! Sounds like you’re having fun by the squeeks and voices. Don’t forget to change the oil filter also.

dangerz

Reaction score
Dropped the tire off at a friends house to get repaired. Got the choke cable attached properly last night and retuned the carb. We are gone for the weekend but I’m hoping to get a good working tire back next week. Then I’m going to look into installing an alternator to be able to add some speakers.

Last edited:

panchothedog

Reaction score
You are running a torque converter, correct. What kind of clutch cable did you connect ? Or was that a typo.

dangerz

Reaction score
Came home from being gone all weekend. Went to fire the kart up and it fired first time. That was pretty exciting. I got an electric fuel pump for it. I'll put that one this week. Also plan on changing the oil a few more times before I put in new spark plugs.