Recent content by juniormarbles

  1. J

    Comet 20/30 series replacement buttons don't fit

    Thanks, I may resort to this. But I really would like to find out first, why in the world no one has ever mentioned not being able to fit standard (?) replacement buttons into the standard holes of a standard Comet clutch! As is, the oversized buttons would break at the shank, if I would try...
  2. J

    Comet 20/30 series replacement buttons don't fit

    Comet Clutch Replacement Buttons Don't Fit Just ordered six new genuine Comet 20/30 series clutch buttons from BMI. Their cylindrical shaft is supposed to fit flush, with a bit of pressure and some hammering, into the clutch plate holes. But the shafts of the replacements are clearly thicker...
  3. J

    How to straighten a wobbly rim

    How can placing a piece of lead rectify an offset in the axle of a wheel? This may work for balancing tire irregularities but to my knowledge cannot remove an axial offset. Besides, I already went the route of getting brand new wheels which BMI's owner, according to their customer service rep...
  4. J

    How to straighten a wobbly rim

    Two new wheels from BMI arrived yesterday. After transferring the tires, it turns out that one of the wheels is perfectly round and straight, the other is wobbly- as bad as my old wheel. So much for quality control at BMI.
  5. J

    How to straighten a wobbly rim

    This was a brilliant idea: stop the axle from spinning, spin the wheel on the fixed axle, and see whether the wheel still wobbles on the (straight) axle, or whether the wheel stops wobbling, pointing to a bent axle. It was the former: The wheel had the same wobble when it was turned on the...
  6. J

    How to straighten a wobbly rim

    The sun came out in Oregon today, and I took pictures: * Go-Kart, full side view w/youthful driver * Left wheel with axle, brake, frame, and clutch * Axle w/o wheel showing bearing mounted to frame * Wheel view * Wheel center, outside view, showing keyway * Reference piece of wood against rim...
  7. J

    How to straighten a wobbly rim

    Well, guys, I am overwhelmed with your generosity to help! I will provide several close-up photos of wheel and axle details, as soon as it has stopped raining here. Then you may know a bit better what might work and what might not. So, for now: thanks a bunch! JM
  8. J

    How to straighten a wobbly rim

    My son has a Manco 285 Go Kart with wobbly rear rims (the drive axle is not bent but straight.) Manco has discontinued this type of rim, and I am trying to either straighten the rim myself or find a specialist in the Portland, OR region who can do this. The exact problem: the axle-mounted rim...
Top