Yerf dog spiderbox sqealls when being started

Status
Not open for further replies.

dictionary6767

New member
Messages
249
Reaction score
0
Location
Nj
So when I first hit the electric start it makes a sqeeling noise them it stops and the engine starts? Anybody know why it is doing this.
 

jamyers

Well-known member
Messages
1,444
Reaction score
47
Location
Buffalo Gap, TX
Probably have to remove and disassemble the starter to get at any bearings, which I'll bet are actually bushings. The hardest part of rebuilding a starter is getting the dang brushes to stay put while you reassemble it - but often there's a hole for a temporary retaining pin.

GY6 engine, right?
 

Doc Sprocket

*********
Messages
15,677
Reaction score
152
Location
Ontario, Canada
I'm not familiar with the GY6 starter, but at the back end you may have to take the end cap off to get a drop of oil to the right spot. Often, the end cap retains the bushing (bearing), so removal should net you some easy access without dealing with those brushes. At the pinion end of the starter, you may well be able to sneak a drop or two of light oil on the end of the shaft near the bushing and just let it wick in.
 

landuse

Moderator
Staff member
Messages
18,798
Reaction score
602
Location
Pietermaritzburg, South Africa
IN the flywheel?

:confused:

Yup sprayed it right in there then it stopped

I think you were just lucky that maybe some of the lubricant somehow got to the right place. I don't know how. Just for everyones benefit - spraying lubricant into/onto the flywheel will not solve any problems 99% of the time.

I think you got lucky
 

jamyers

Well-known member
Messages
1,444
Reaction score
47
Location
Buffalo Gap, TX
:iagree::iagree:

Yup, after doing some googling and youtubing on my own regarding GY6 starters, either it wasn't the starter or you got lucky and the flywheel slung the lube to the right spot.

Check out this GY6 cutaway from http://www.chinesescooterreference.com/manuals_charts.htm (great site for GY6 info, btw) and you'll see that instead of a "regular" starter with a gear that engages / disengages the flywheel, the GY6 starter drives a reduction gear that drives that drives a "starter clutch" that grabs the crankshaft directly, all this gearing is located inside the crankcase behind the stator, behind the flywheel.

My money is that it's either not the starter at all, or it's something else behind the flywheel, or it IS the starter and for some reason it has decided to be quiet on its own. Either way, I think I'd take the flywheel cover off and take a good look for anything amiss.
 

Attachments

  • GY6_Cutaway.jpg
    GY6_Cutaway.jpg
    166.5 KB · Views: 4
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top