Yerf Dog Spiderbox project

Status
Not open for further replies.

TBS99

Reaction score
Hello all, A couple of weeks ago I found a deal on a 2004 Yerf Dog Spiderbox for a $100. This buggy sat in a garage for over 8 years and then was pushed outside in the weather for about 3 weeks when I found it. I was working on my Carter 150 project but decided to put it on hold and go to this one. It was missing a carburetor, starter, solenoid and had a broken front spindle. My intention is to go through this kart and make it reliable for my grand kids to use. I will post things I find wrong as I go. Here is some pictures to start.

Attachments

• Yerf Dog 1.jpg
    Yerf Dog 1.jpg
    87.3 KB · Views: 11
  • Yerf Dog 2.jpg
    Yerf Dog 2.jpg
    102.4 KB · Views: 10
  • Yerf Dog 3.jpg
    Yerf Dog 3.jpg
    120.9 KB · Views: 16
  • Yerf Dog 4.jpg
    Yerf Dog 4.jpg
    103.9 KB · Views: 10

TBS99

Reaction score
I received the carburetor, starter and coil a couple of days ago. After changing the fluids in the engine and putting the new parts in, it started right up. I removed the front spindles and sent them to Buggy Depot for repair. I also ordered new ball joints and tie rod ends. The steering boots had disintegrated so they are on order also. I should have started this thread a couple of weeks ago because I have progressed quite a ways on this project, so I will post what I have done so far in the next post.

Attachments

• spindle.jpg
    spindle.jpg
    152.1 KB · Views: 3

TBS99

Reaction score
I received the spindles back from Buggy Depot. They did a great job of reinforcing them and they also added front brake mounting plates to them. I will eventually add front brakes later but for now I am just trying to get it running for the grand kids to drive. The ball joints, tie rod ends, and steering boots arrived today. I have completed the welding on the front box mount to make it stronger. Right now I am sanding it down to get it ready for paint.

Attachments

• spindle repair.jpg
    spindle repair.jpg
    38.2 KB · Views: 5

TBS99

Reaction score
I have finished painting the kart with satin Black. It came out really nice. The front end parts are installed. I had to buy new front tires due to being old and cracked. Also put new wheel bearings in the front wheels. I pressure bled all the old brake fluid out of the system with new fluid and inspected everything to make sure they work good and they do. Hopefully it will be completed today so I can drive it and determine if there is anything else that needs to be repaired. I noticed the original lights did not work so after taking them apart I found the bulbs were burned out. I will be heading down to 4Wheel Parts here since they have the bulbs made by Hella that are 35w for only $1.99. Well after driving it today I noticed that I need to do some tuning to the new carb and adjust the steering because it seems to wander at full speed.

Attachments

• Yerf1.jpg
    Yerf1.jpg
    69.6 KB · Views: 10
  • Yerf2.jpg
    Yerf2.jpg
    69.9 KB · Views: 13
  • Yerf3 front.jpg
    Yerf3 front.jpg
    71.6 KB · Views: 10

Joe-405

Enjoying New Projects
Reaction score
Good job. I just built one with a bigger engine and full one off suspension.

Be careful with that passenger roll cage bar. They are thin from the factory and after they are tweaked like yours they will bend super easy. If I had my old ones still I’d send it to you but I think I got rid of them already.

TBS99

Reaction score
What did you use to raise the front end? Like to add bigger shocks

I just put new ball joints and tie rod ends that were stock. Also I adjusted the front shocks all the way up and added new stock tires. That is all.

---------- Post added at 07:38 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:36 PM ----------

Good job. I just built one with a bigger engine and full one off suspension.

Be careful with that passenger roll cage bar. They are thin from the factory and after they are tweaked like yours they will bend super easy. If I had my old ones still I’d send it to you but I think I got rid of them already.

I am looking for a new passenger bar but I am not having any luck. If I can't find one then I will end up rebuilding the cage.

TBS99

Reaction score
Finally got the rest of the parts. I installed a new air cleaner, chain guard and new brake pads. The lights are fixed. After another test run I finally got it tuned right and the front wheels aligned right. I did notice a clunking sound from the back of the motor so after trying to adjust the chain I found that the chain tensioner was broke and the previous owner tried to fix it but it failed. I took it apart an re-welded the bracket properly. Now no more noise. I took it out and used a speedometer app and ran a top speed of 41 mph. This is plenty fast for the kids. I do believe the kart is done and ready for my grand kids to play on. Now I can go back to redoing one of my other karts.

Attachments

• Yerf dog engL1.jpg
    Yerf dog engL1.jpg
    86.6 KB · Views: 8
  • Yerf dog engR1.jpg
    Yerf dog engR1.jpg
    84.6 KB · Views: 7
Status
Not open for further replies.