Yerf dog questions...

yerfdoggonit

Reaction score
Recently picked up an older yerf dog with front suspension and solid rear. Doing a few repairs to get it running for my boys, niece, and nephews.

Goal number 1 Make it run, replace the carb. and removed debris stuck in the intake valve. I was able to get it to run but it would barely idle or run WOT. It is the Tecumseh Powersports OHH60, which appears to be from 2016 from the date code.

I was offered a Northern Tool Powerhorse 212 (which appears to be identical to a predator but is supposed to have some better internals.) I have it installed on the cart, but the Comet II torque converter (OE to the cart) is on the very end of the crankshaft/output. The driver is on the last 1/4" of the shaft. I reinstalled it the same way it was from the factory and the alignment is good, but the lack of engagement bothers me. Is this okay/common? Or should I purchase a new TC to improve the situation?

BrownStainRacing

Reaction score
Recently picked up an older yerf dog with front suspension and solid rear. Doing a few repairs to get it running for my boys, niece, and nephews.

Goal number 1 Make it run, replace the carb. and removed debris stuck in the intake valve. I was able to get it to run but it would barely idle or run WOT. It is the Tecumseh Powersports OHH60, which appears to be from 2016 from the date code.

I was offered a Northern Tool Powerhorse 212 (which appears to be identical to a predator but is supposed to have some better internals.) I have it installed on the cart, but the Comet II torque converter (OE to the cart) is on the very end of the crankshaft/output. The driver is on the last 1/4" of the shaft. I reinstalled it the same way it was from the factory and the alignment is good, but the lack of engagement bothers me. Is this okay/common? Or should I purchase a new TC to improve the situation?
1/4" is better then most can get, on some crankshafts.

Once you get the bolt torqued to spec, it'll hold.

yerfdoggonit

Reaction score
I guess that’s my question, is it worth swapping to something different?

So far I have swapped the motor ( still need to finish), replaced seat foam and sliders, replaced seatbelts, and replaced tie rods. I still need to put a couple of tubes in the front tires and attempt a test drive before I set the kids loose.

Attachments

• IMG_1084.jpeg
    IMG_1084.jpeg
    5.2 MB · Views: 10
  • IMG_1086.jpeg
    IMG_1086.jpeg
    4.1 MB · Views: 9
  • IMG_1085.jpeg
    IMG_1085.jpeg
    4.1 MB · Views: 9
Last edited:

panchothedog

Reaction score
I wouldn't. My band brakes work almost as good as a hydraulic disc. And way better than a mechanical disc. I have 4 different karts so I have tested all 3 different kind of brake systems. With the band brakes and a moderate amount of pressure I can lock up the rear tires completely.

G.W

Reaction score
For your hp a band brake is perfect. Those tecumseh engines are junk. Can we get a picture of what your talking about woth the TC?

panchothedog

Reaction score
Hey G. W. No argument from me on your opinion of the tecumseh engine. I got rid of mine ( gave it away ) and it's running a 196 clone that is built to the hilt. Band brake still gets the job done. Probably my 2nd fastest kart.

G.W

Reaction score
Hey G. W. No argument from me on your opinion of the tecumseh engine. I got rid of mine ( gave it away ) and it's running a 196 clone that is built to the hilt. Band brake still gets the job done. Probably my 2nd fastest kart.
I have never had much success with a band brake on my buggy, but I never really tried all that much. It's getting a 459 predator so I'm gonna go with hydraulic discs on the front and rear. The front is gonna be a bit harder on my buggy, I'm gonna order some 4 wheeler suspension and fab it up in there to have better front suspension and front brakes.

Sorry for the hijack, carry on lol

yerfdoggonit

Reaction score
I had to find a much longer bolt, but it seems to work. As you can see in the second and third pic there’s not much of the output shaft left for the driver to hold on to.
IMG_4287.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_4289.jpeg
    IMG_4289.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 7
  • IMG_4290.jpeg
    IMG_4290.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 7