Yerf Dog Model 1423?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tangiblestar

New member
Messages
12
Reaction score
0
Location
Chesterfield,VA
So a close friend has had this go kart she bought from Costco years ago sitting in her shed collecting dust. Since I maintain/repair her cars and mowers she thought I would be able to get this thing going. Two summers ago I pulled it out of the shed, changed oil, put in fresh fuel, cleaned the plug and got it to fire up. It ran, rather horribly, and I started researching all the issues it was having. I found out the Tecumseh wasn't particularly well supported in the aftermarket and since it was rather underpowered for adult operators I swapped in a predator 212(non hemi by the way). After sorting that out, the torque converter was giving us engagement issues but after cleaning, polishing and lubricating it correctly all is well in the drivetrain.
Now to the still prevalent problems-the only model number I can find is on the shroud around the TC and it reads 1423. Well I can't find any sort of information on that model from Yerf-Dog. I also can't even find pictures of this thing online. I'm trying to cure it's obnoxious steering; the tires actually rub the frame instead of having a steering stop, the ackerman angle isn't accounted for and I can't find replacement tires for the 7 inch front wheels.
I'll try to go take fresh pictures today but in a nutshell(other than the predator it is "as purchased") it has no suspension, a live axle, single seat, taller and wider rear tires than front.
Does anyone have info on this thing?
 

Tangiblestar

New member
Messages
12
Reaction score
0
Location
Chesterfield,VA
The one picture I found on my phone. First time uploading a picture here, I hope it works.
 

Attachments

  • IMG_20160630_192616048.jpg
    IMG_20160630_192616048.jpg
    379 KB · Views: 13

Tangiblestar

New member
Messages
12
Reaction score
0
Location
Chesterfield,VA

Iron John

New member
Messages
397
Reaction score
26
Location
NA
Ol' Godfrey did make him some butt-*** ugly go-karts.

No one knows what he was smoking.
 

Hellion

Murderator
Messages
9,204
Reaction score
4,185
Ol' Godfrey did make him some butt-*** ugly go-karts.

And how! Even the word yerf sounds like a euphemism for vomit. :eek:

Some, but not all of the ugliness can be dealt with. Shall I say it? "Remove the roll cage!" and join the ranks of grown men who laugh at danger!

. . . .
 

Iron John

New member
Messages
397
Reaction score
26
Location
NA
And how! Even the word yerf sounds like a euphemism for vomit. :eek:

Some, but not all of the ugliness can be dealt with. Shall I say it? "Remove the roll cage!" and join the ranks of grown men who laugh at danger!

. . . .

Danger, I spit on you! LOL

Spell Godfrey backwards...................

OP's kart would look hillaryin' without the cage and a wider track.
 

Tangiblestar

New member
Messages
12
Reaction score
0
Location
Chesterfield,VA
Aesthetics are way down the priority list. Now that I have a better idea what model it is I've found out about the steering recall and lots of talk on how to fix it. What I have not seen at all is a picture of one fixed. I read the steering sticky and found videos of building spindles that take Ackerman effect into account but nothing specific to this kart. Any idea where else I should look?
 

Iron John

New member
Messages
397
Reaction score
26
Location
NA
Aesthetics are way down the priority list. Now that I have a better idea what model it is I've found out about the steering recall and lots of talk on how to fix it. What I have not seen at all is a picture of one fixed. I read the steering sticky and found videos of building spindles that take Ackerman effect into account but nothing specific to this kart. Any idea where else I should look?

I am not familiar with the recall or the permanent fix.

However, from your photo it looks like the toe-in is way out of whack. Suggest first setting the toe-in correctly and taking it from there. While you are up close and personal with the steering, you will get an idea of what else might need to be done.

On my Yerf (not the same model) I had to remove material from the steering arms so that the wheels would steer the same amount left or right. I also had to tack weld where the distal end of the steering shaft slips into the collar because the pinch bolt could no longer do it.
 

Tangiblestar

New member
Messages
12
Reaction score
0
Location
Chesterfield,VA
On this model the steering "stops" are formed by the tires hitting the frame. The maximum allowed steering angle is obnoxious, close enough to 90 degrees that the tires could fold under the cart. Welding in stops for the pitman arm could fix that bit I've read lots of other suggestions here. Unfortunately those suggestions never have pictures.
 

Hellion

Murderator
Messages
9,204
Reaction score
4,185
Steering stops for the Manco karts (I have two) involve a small tab welded onto the steering shaft that strikes the frame either side before the wheels "turn too much". FYI.
 

Tangiblestar

New member
Messages
12
Reaction score
0
Location
Chesterfield,VA
Steering stops for the Manco karts (I have two) involve a small tab welded onto the steering shaft that strikes the frame either side before the wheels "turn too much". FYI.

Thanks. I saw a few ways to fix the oversteer issue. The steering geometry needs help too and I can fab up some stuff. I'd really like to skip some R&D by seeing what others have done to remedy the factory issues on this kart.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top