Yerf Dog Bump Steer & Ackermann

Pinhead

Reaction score
I picked up a worn-out Yerf Dog two-seater for my wife and kids to drive a couple of weekends ago. It "runs and drives" but it definitely needs work.

One thing I can't stand about live-axle go-karts is the steering radius. None of the karts I've ridden have had Ackermann steering and all of them had terrible bump steer when driving over rough terrain. We live on a farm where pasture driving is pretty much the only option and "waffling" everywhere is unacceptable.

Unfortunately I didn't get "before" pictures. The steering knuckles were on top and the tie-rods connected directly to the steering shaft arm, the left tie-rod being about 5 inches shorter than the right.

I swapped/flipped the spindles which put the steering knuckle down and rearward. I would need some type of "hanger" to place the center control point of the tie-rods as close to the pivot of the A-arms as possible. I decided to connect the tie-rods directly behind the pivot of the A-arms, attached to a pitman arm hanging from above. I made the pitman as long I could fit so it would swing as linearly as possible (larger diameter circle/arc) to prevent any drastic changes in geometry when turning.

Then I shortened one of the tie-rods and lengthened the other to get them to the very center of the kart which puts them within an inch of the pivot point of the lower A-arms. Setting the central control point so close to the pivot of the A-arms eliminated all noticeable bump-steer.

20220816_172640.jpg

The old girl drives straight as an arrow and turns MUCH better now!

With a new CVT belt and rear tires this old thing should be ready to turn lose!

Snaker

Reaction score
There ya go.
Not sure, that grey bar, it goes up out of the photo.
That swings side to side with the steering, correct?
If so, how is it mounted?
Does it have any slop for/aft, where the tie rod bolt could hit the other bolts?

Pinhead

Reaction score
There ya go.
Not sure, that grey bar, it goes up out of the photo.
That swings side to side with the steering, correct?
If so, how is it mounted?
Does it have any slop for/aft, where the tie rod bolt could hit the other bolts?

Yes, the grey bar is the pitman arm which is attached to a cross-brace mounted between the two shock mounts. The big square-headed bolt at the connection point is left "loose" and I used a jamb-nut to keep it from coming apart.

It could swing fore-ad-aft very slightly (would/could bend the pitman arm at the connection point) but I haven't seen that happen during testing.

I might mount a "rail" for it to slide on if movement becomes a problem.

20220816_202837.jpg