Yerf dog 3206

Dstack

Reaction score
So I bought a yerf dog 3206 gy6 engine.. found out the engine was trashed when I was looking over it an looking to swap that out with a predator engine was hoping for some input on a list of parts that I would need to do it.. I know im going to have to modify the the engine area an the axle is whats puzzled me because the sprocket gear is on the wrong side of the axle was hoping for some insight on that thanks in advance.. this a father son project btw

panchothedog

Reaction score
Most sprockets are mounted on a hub of some sort, and most hubs are moveable. Usually bolted to the axle. Diameter of the axle and a few pictures would help. Are you mechanically inclined? This should not be that complicated of a conversion, but if you can't sort of visualize it, it might be beyond your skill level. If not then jump in and ask away. Lots of VERY helpful and knowledgeable people on this site. Pictures and specific questions help
in providing you with answers and advice as your project advances.
Also welcome to the forum.

Dstack

Reaction score
Most sprockets are mounted on a hub of some sort, and most hubs are moveable. Usually bolted to the axle. Diameter of the axle and a few pictures would help. Are you mechanically inclined? This should not be that complicated of a conversion, but if you can't sort of visualize it, it might be beyond your skill level. If not then jump in and ask away. Lots of VERY helpful and knowledgeable people on this site. Pictures and specific questions help
in providing you with answers and advice as your project advances.
Also welcome to the forum.
I'll snap some pictures an aff them to here when im off work

Dstack

Reaction score
What would I need as far as the clutch set up from engine to the axle an what sprocket would I need

Denny

Canned Monster
Reaction score
The gy6 engine put out about 9-11hp. So you will need an engine with atleast that much power. The new Predator 445 puts out around 14 stock. Trying to go with a 212 you will quickly discover you have spent more than the 445 costs for less torque. You will not be happy. You will need a 40 series CVT setup with a Genuine Comet Belt. Do not use a cheap chineseum belt! They are made from a pvc vinyl type product and wear out quickly and shred causing more problems. You will need to build a jackshaft for the driven clutch and the sprocket. The sprockets you will need are for a #40 chain size. From the jackshaft you will need a 10 tooth sprocket to a 60 tooth axle sprocket.

panchothedog

Reaction score
Going to disagree with Denny here but just a little bit. You want a 60 tooth axle sprocket and a 10 tooth drive sprocket using a 420 chain, not a 35. How fast do you want to go, what will be the typical passenger weight, ( kids adults one or two ) and what kind of terrain will it used on. Your kart is large but I think it is 1"
tubeing and not excessively heavy. A 212 cc ( small block ) will get you around but to get more than 22 - 25 mph or do much serious hill climbing it would need to be hopped up and then would be a high RPM running engine and you could easily have $800 to $1000 in high performance parts. The big block engines ( 301, 420, and 459 cc ) all have bigger 1" out put shafts and require a larger and more expensive 40 series torque converter. All COMPLETE torque converter kits come with a plate that bolts to the engine and supports the supplied jack shaft and work fine. No need to construct a separate unit. If you have the money the big block would probably be the better choice. One of the
several karts I own has a 301 and the 40 series torque converter and even though it was pretty peppy it soon got frustrating having the engine top out on the governor and just stay there. Ended up hopping it up anyway just like some of the small blocks. Love it. Runs strong.

Denny

Canned Monster
Reaction score
Pancho, I did recommend #40 chain. That’s all I use. I’ve had bad luck with #35. I seem to have a talent for snapping it.

Dstack

Reaction score
Well, I haven't had much time to do it with all the farm work that needed to get done before i started on the cart.. decided to go with a 224 predator engine. I was hoping for some direction on what torque converter kits and such to get to have it all here an get it all done in a weekend possibly. Will attach pictures of the cart later of the sproket an axle

panchothedog

Reaction score
Using the 224 engine you want to use a 30 series torque converter. Any of the
$60 to $70 units found on the internet will work fine. The belt that comes with it won't last very long. When you need a replacement spend the money for a quality comet brand belt. 2&1/2 times the money. Last 8 to 10 times as long.

Dstack

Reaction score
Do I have to flip the axle around for this to work right? The chain drive is on the passenger side now.

panchothedog

Reaction score
You'll need to get the sprocket to the left side of the kart. If you can move the carrier it's better, because even if you flip the axle, sprocket might not necessarily end up exactly where it needs to be. So a moveable sprocket carrier is pretty important for alignment.