Yerf Dog 3203 increased torque

Status
Not open for further replies.

Collinbigdeal

New member
Messages
2
Reaction score
0
So I just finished fixing up the old go kart that sat around at my grand parents house and it runs great. I ditched the old Tecumseh for a 212cc predator and it bolted right up with little trouble. The engine is, in my opinion, more powerful than the Tecumseh, however it struggles up hills. I attempted to go up a hill by my house that is very steep. I wasn't expecting it to make it up at all because I can barely even walk up it, but when I was at the bottom and slowly started to gas it more and more, I noticed the tires weren't even spinning. It was like trying to drive up a hill starting in 4th gear. I am wondering if there is anything I can do to improve the torque. I don't care for high end speeds, I just don't want to have to worry about hills and such while riding the go kart off road. I have briefly read about changing to a 9t sprocket so I will look more into that, but is there anything else I can do? Also I must add that I am very inexperienced when it comes to go karts and engines, I only just learned how the belt system works on this thing, so if you can help try to dumb it down for me as much as you can. Thanks in advance for any and all help, I'm super excited for this thing!
 

KartFab

Active member
Messages
3,381
Reaction score
60
Location
Dallas, TX
collin,

Torque and speed are a trade off. If you go with a smaller jackshaft sprocket (e.g. 8 tooth or 9 tooth) you will go slower, but have more torque to climb things. This is the cheapest way to get more torque, so id go ahead and get one of each of these

5/8" bore 8t type C sprocket #40/41 pitch
5/8" bore 9t type C sprocket #40/41 pitch

you can get them pretty much anywhere, but i know for a fact that omb warehouse, bmikarts, and ebay all sell them.
 

Collinbigdeal

New member
Messages
2
Reaction score
0
collin,

Torque and speed are a trade off. If you go with a smaller jackshaft sprocket (e.g. 8 tooth or 9 tooth) you will go slower, but have more torque to climb things. This is the cheapest way to get more torque, so id go ahead and get one of each of these

5/8" bore 8t type C sprocket #40/41 pitch
5/8" bore 9t type C sprocket #40/41 pitch

you can get them pretty much anywhere, but i know for a fact that omb warehouse, bmikarts, and ebay all sell them.

Thank you so much, I will buy both! Hopefully there are some videos online that can help me replace it, but I think I can get it. Also, do you know anything about the spring on the torque converter? I don't know what it's called but can that affect speed/torque in any way?
 

OzFab

Well-known member
Messages
15,615
Reaction score
73
Location
Warwick Qld, Australia
Hang on, nothing was mentioned about a torque converter; can you please either post pics or confirm whether you have a TC or a centrifugal clutch?
 

fastion420

yerfdog 3203
Messages
62
Reaction score
0
I just switched from a 10tooth to a 8tooth on my yerfdog 3203,and it definitely helped with tq off the line,and ungoverned I can still hit 37mph pretty quickly:thumbsup:
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top