Yerf Dog - 3020 - Torque Converter Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

butchcole

New member
Messages
10
Reaction score
0
I recently bought an old Yerf Dog 3020 with the Tecumseh 5.5 Powersport and I'm rebuilding and doing what I can.

I am not sure which torque converter I have on it and it seems that it matters when you are looking for belts.

I saw a video this video that said it was a MAX.

LINK ) [/URL]

Is that a brand or type? May sound stupid but I wanted to ask,

Also, is it possible to try and match up these belts with ones at ACE Hardware or Advance Auto/O'Reilly/Autozone?
 

mysteryboy28

New member
Messages
1,582
Reaction score
11
Location
Lansing, MI
that wobble is bad, and i think the driven clutch needs to be replaced.

Max is a brand that is a copy of Comet. that looks like a comet 30 (maybe a comet 20?). i'm not sure what the distinguishing factors are. but it does appear that you have an asymmetrical belt requirement (slanted on one side, flat on the other.

see if you can measure the distance from center to center (center of jackshaft to center of engine shaft) to determine what size belt you need.

hardware stores and auto parts stores do NOT have the right kind of belts. ebay will probably be your cheapest bet.

bmikarts.com has a great selection of belts, so that you can at least get a part number once you've done your measurement.
 

butchcole

New member
Messages
10
Reaction score
0
Thank you man, this is not my kart but i found the video and it is exactly like my kart.
 

landuse

Moderator
Staff member
Messages
18,799
Reaction score
602
Location
Pietermaritzburg, South Africa
that wobble is bad, and i think the driven clutch needs to be replaced.

Max is a brand that is a copy of Comet. that looks like a comet 30 (maybe a comet 20?). i'm not sure what the distinguishing factors are. but it does appear that you have an asymmetrical belt requirement (slanted on one side, flat on the other.

see if you can measure the distance from center to center (center of jackshaft to center of engine shaft) to determine what size belt you need.

hardware stores and auto parts stores do NOT have the right kind of belts. ebay will probably be your cheapest bet.

bmikarts.com has a great selection of belts, so that you can at least get a part number once you've done your measurement.

The first link is to ID your TC. Have a look at this chart, in the second link, measure the center to center distance like mysteryboy said, and then choose the right belt.

Comet identification, installation and belts. Sprocket and spring changes
http://www.gokartsupply.com/identify.htm
http://www.gokartsupply.com/tcbelts.htm
 

butchcole

New member
Messages
10
Reaction score
0
Thanks land use. I went home last night and saw where it said Max-Torque so hopefully even my dumb *** has it figured out.
I got this yerf dog with the 5.5 Tecumseh Power Sport from a neighbor and I'm starting to out it together. It has been stored outside but with the engine covered for 2 years but the first day I got it I was messing around with starter fluid and an old car spark plus and it fired off for about 8-10 secs. at a time. Looks like I'll be doing some carb work. Can you suggest a site to get the belt and carb kit from?
 

landuse

Moderator
Staff member
Messages
18,799
Reaction score
602
Location
Pietermaritzburg, South Africa

butchcole

New member
Messages
10
Reaction score
0
Thanks again landuse. You are good people. I'll let you know how things go on Monday.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top