yerf dog 1203a

Status
Not open for further replies.

AaronM

New member
Messages
8
Reaction score
0
I have a Yerf-Dog 1203A. The Kart is older and the engine doesnt run (yet) but one problem with it is that the steering shaft is frozen. The steering shaft is really stuck and cant get turned. The axle that connects the two tires do move, its just the steering shaft. Any feedback will help. THANK YOU
 

Poboy kartman

Senior Moments Member
Messages
12,461
Reaction score
70
Location
White Settlement Texas
Get some PB Blaster and spray it. ...let it sit for an hour. ...then try to turn the wheel....and spray it again. ....keep doing this every hour. ...eventually it will move a little. ....you can also tap the pivot arm with a big hammer....once you get it to move even a little. ...you are on your way....

Keep rocking it back and forth and shooting it with the PBB and it will get freed up more and more. ....

Post up some pictures of it so we can make sure it's not locked because it's bent or something. .....

Edit....and you are attacking BOTH collars....right?
 

AaronM

New member
Messages
8
Reaction score
0
well, we have taken a hammer to it, oil, we even tried to drill a small hole through it so we can spray WD-40 in it...lemme go take some pics
 

AaronM

New member
Messages
8
Reaction score
0
pics

well, we have taken a hammer to it, oil, we even tried to drill a small hole through it so we can spray WD-40 in it...lemme go take some pics
hope the pics help
 

Attachments

  • CAM00271.jpg
    CAM00271.jpg
    76.8 KB · Views: 15
  • CAM00272.jpg
    CAM00272.jpg
    70.7 KB · Views: 10

firemanjim

Just kartin' around....
Messages
5,247
Reaction score
88
Location
Houston Texas
You're gonna hate it, but here is what I think I'd do next..... Grab a torch and heat up the collar/sleeve. Get wd-40 with the smart straw tip, and while it's hot, spray the shaft so the fluid runs down to the collar. The heat will expand the collar a little bit and the wd will cool and lube the shaft. Have you figured out what side is stuck? Upper - lower? Both?
 

AaronM

New member
Messages
8
Reaction score
0
No, im guessing its both just bc it feels that way...thanks for the advice though
 

firemanjim

Just kartin' around....
Messages
5,247
Reaction score
88
Location
Houston Texas
How long have you been trying to unstick it? It wight take a week of soaking, on the hour, every hour.... :lolgoku:
 

Poboy kartman

Senior Moments Member
Messages
12,461
Reaction score
70
Location
White Settlement Texas
Yeah. .....not want I meant by pics....I can zoom in any where I want on a pic of the Whole shaft....but close ups of each end only show us what you think is important. ......

I noticed a grease zerk in one pic.....and it's still there? ???? Unscrew that sucker and shoot some PB Blaster in that hole.....

And just my humble opinion. ....but PB Blaster and WD-40.....are not the same animals. ....Water Displacing-40.....or penetrating oil... (PB)....PB is much better on rust...
 

firemanjim

Just kartin' around....
Messages
5,247
Reaction score
88
Location
Houston Texas
Yeah. .....not want I meant by pics....I can zoom in any where I want on a pic of the Whole shaft....but close ups of each end only show us what you think is important. ......

I noticed a grease zerk in one pic.....and it's still there? ???? Unscrew that sucker and shoot some PB Blaster in that hole.....

And just my humble opinion. ....but PB Blaster and WD-40.....are not the same animals. ....Water Displacing-40.....or penetrating oil... (PB)....PB is much better on rust...

Yeah, I kinda agree with the wd and pb, but not everyone has heard of pb.......
 

Poboy kartman

Senior Moments Member
Messages
12,461
Reaction score
70
Location
White Settlement Texas
Aaron.....besides seeing the whole shaft....I'd like to see the whole front-end as well as the whole kart......

So.....that's 2 pictures. .....or 2000 words. .....choose carefully. ..:lolgoku:
 

qtband

Well-known member
Messages
1,772
Reaction score
70
Location
St. Louis, MO
I've had this problem and here's what I did.
Shoot it with PB Blaster as much as possible.
Remove the tie rod ends from the bottom of the shaft.
Use a large monkey wrench to grab onto the shaft near the bottom end.
With a pipe over the wrecnh handle, apply pressure one way, then the other.
Repeat with the top and and keep going back and forth until it's free.
 

firemanjim

Just kartin' around....
Messages
5,247
Reaction score
88
Location
Houston Texas
I've had this problem and here's what I did.
Shoot it with PB Blaster as much as possible.
Remove the tie rod ends from the bottom of the shaft.
Use a large monkey wrench to grab onto the shaft near the bottom end.
With a pipe over the wrecnh handle, apply pressure one way, then the other.
Repeat with the top and and keep going back and forth until it's free.
I've done this too with great success ( I'm getting old and memory is going first..... Lol)
Just make sure you don't bend the arm the tie rods attach to...... :thumbsup:
 

davidbooth1991

New member
Messages
283
Reaction score
0
Location
Nottingham UK
I agree with warming it up..but don't hit it with anything while its hot or you'll shape it and make it worse.....leverage is key here but make sure you have enough pb/ grease in these for it to slide. If it sticks you'll just bend it... Also it looks to me like the knuckle your steering column travels through is just normal steel tube. ( same as mine). If this wasn't drilled through for a tight fit there will be a weld seam inside where they form the section. Obviously the inside hasn't been painted..so that might be were you problem started. But the grease nipple is a question...was it installed after or is the knuckle a genuine part...
 

firemanjim

Just kartin' around....
Messages
5,247
Reaction score
88
Location
Houston Texas
Look at BMI (high shipping warning)....... They sell a lot of yerfdog..... They even sell used steering set ups from returned karts..... Pretty cheap.....
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top