Yard kart build with lawnmower engine, any ideas?

Status
Not open for further replies.

user53

Planning...
Reaction score
Alright, before anyone starts saying that I should just go with a regular engine (I've noticed a lot of people get responses like that), I'm going to see if I can make what I have work, because I don't want to buy another engine, and because I have a pretty free schedule, and love mechanical challenges.

For starts, here's what I'm working with. I've got a John Deere 14SE lawnmower, complete, which I will be using for engine/transmission.

It has a Kawasaki FC150 OHV 5HP engine. It has the power drive, with the 5 speed transmission. It seems pretty durable, and would like to try and use it.

I was given this mower (only used a summer or two, great condition) and had been using it to harvest parts for the mower I actually use (John Deere 14SE), but won't be using the engine/transmission.

Alright, so here's the plan...have the engine and transmission mounted and connected like they would be on the mower, but rather than having the drive shafts off the transmission going to the wheels, have gears on both sides, then have dual chains running down to the axle. Either that, or just extend the stock drive shafts, but I don't think those could handle the weight as well as just running a chain from them to another axle.

What I'm trying to build-yard kart/off road buggy-not sure if it will have suspension yet, I'm still thinking about it. I'm looking for a top speed of 25ish mph, hopefully. I'm thinking, if I can use the transmission-I could have a low gear that would give good torque, and a high gear for a good top end. With the 8" tires that were on the mower, the gears, 1-5 range in speeds from ~1.2mph to ~4.5mph. I think if I run a larger gear off the transmission, with a smaller one (1/4 to 1/3 the size) and 10-12" tires that should accomplish my goal.

Thoughts on my general plan? Any input would be appreciated.

I'll get some pictures of what I'm working with in a little bit.

I like karts

Rotary Power!
Reaction score
sounds like it should work, but you might want a tougher riding mower transmission instead of the push mower one. they can take a lot more load.

user53

Planning...
Reaction score
Yeah, that's one of the things I'm worried about failing on it. It does seem to be pretty durable though...I just can't decide if I should give it a go with that one, or try and find a riding mower transmission.

Although, if I did get a riding mower transmission, it would probably have a reverse..and that would be nice to have.

I'm more worried about the engine though..do you think it would have the power to do what I'm looking for? Like I say, I'm not looking for anything super fast and powerful, just something to move around (but not be a slug) and get up to about 25mph.

ryf

Reaction score
from someone who built a monster version, get a rider trans, period, it will cost you less if you don't have to re-engineer it.

modelengineer

Lord of the noise
Reaction score
I have a gutless 3.5hp with only 1 speed and it gets to 25mph (just). You will be fine.

You can extend the driveshafts on the gearbox as long as you mounts bearings at the outboard ends of the shafts, that way the load is on the bearings and not on the transmissions bushes.

greymon

Reaction score
it is posible to make a suitable cart engine from a non riding mower. keep the mower upright and put small wheel like a lawn mower wheel on the shaft. next attach a lawn mower wheel to your axel, mount the engine so it meshes with the wheel onthe axel and voila! lawn mower engine cart!

Status
Not open for further replies.