Would this work? (shock bushing replacement)

Status
Not open for further replies.

KieranM

Doin It!!
Reaction score
Ok thanks lads, yea i can bear it being slightly uncomefortable I just can find a new rubber bushing. I made up poly ones today and I will get back when I have them in the shocks.

Thanks

EDIT: This is a reply to the 3 answers

KieranM

Doin It!!
Reaction score
My bushings on my shocks have gave way, where the eyes, and I was wondering if I could make up a piece to fit in place of the rubber made of plastic (acrylic) bar, Done on the lathe.

I made up a quick example.

Would there be any disadvantage to using a solid plastic piece rather than the rubber.

Thanks Kieran

shake this

Reaction score
Only issues you might run into is more vibration and the fact that the shock uses rubber so that it can move around a little in the mount if you bottom out the shock or take hard hits that the shock itself can't react to fast enough at first. It also takes a little of the "shock" off the mounts when you hit hard or put the shock in a bind.

DustinWolfe

Reaction score
yea but on the other hand they replace rubber bushings with poly all the time and while its not exactly the same i think it would probably be fine.and as for the shock mounts could you strengthen them up with maybe a strut bar or something?

shake this

Reaction score
Yes, I agree with you. That's why my first comment was about the vibration/noise.

Ever been in car with poly bushings? Most of them are nosier and carry more road vibration then stock. The mounts on cars are much stronger and can handle the extra harshness plus normal people don’t take their Chevy Malibu down a dry lake bed or over large obstacles. :)

With that being said, it might work out just fine. Give it a try and take note of any negative effects and then see if you can correct them.

Bluethunder3320

Reaction score
looks great to me... i doubt you will see any performance issues. i assume there is a tiny amount of play when the rubber one was on that you lost.

Status
Not open for further replies.