would it matter if i culdnt take brake disc off?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jk95ht

Reaction score
im back on track with making my 49cc go kart, ill be buying a brand new engine with a aluminium pull start for $85 inc. delivery
and i finally have my metal work room back at school with all new welding bays, lathes and everything!
my question is, with building the axle ill bge lathing it down to the correct size, but will it matter if im not able to take off the brake disc or sprocket? as i cannot think of a way to attach them and still b able to secure the wheels......
please comment with any advice, thanks josh

DCProductions

Cockney Ragamuffin
Reaction score
Usually, karts have a keyed axle and keyed hubs on all of the axle components (except the bearings of course). That means that all of the components just slide on and off whenever you need them. Do you not have a keyway on your axle, sprocket, or disc?

jk95ht

Reaction score
Usually, karts have a keyed axle and keyed hubs on all of the axle components (except the bearings of course). That means that all of the components just slide on and off whenever you need them. Do you not have a keyway on your axle, sprocket, or disc?

im planning on just using some round bar, lathe it down to the correct size and plonking it with just welding anything else onto it.... ill only hav about 4 weeks to do alot of stuff at school and thats the only place ill hav a lathe so i wont hav much time to muck around...... ill be finishing it off at home seeing as i just got a stick welder and am now in a part time (weekend) job.....

r_chez_08

Should be in the shop...
Reaction score
If you have a mill just put the axle on a mill and mill some (1/4" x 1/8") slots for the sprocket, brake and wheels. It would take about 2hrs including setup time if you have the right kit.
If you weld on the sprocket you have some disadvantages:
1. you cant change gearing
2. you cant replace just the sprocket when it wears
3. you may not weld it straight and have the chain come off all the time
4. you cannot change the position of the sprocket
5. it will be weaker
6. it will cost more in time and money in the long run.
7. ETC.
advantages:
NONE!

Status
Not open for further replies.