would a 3.8 work for a go kart

Status
Not open for further replies.

tyler

Reaction score
hey everyone i would like like to know if a 3.8 hp lawn mower engine work for a go kart. plz help me

Jblankster

Reaction score
if its a verticle shaft, its too much trouble for wat its worth, if it was a 10+ Vert. shaft then it would. if its a horizontal shaft then it might be... but it wont be very powerful.

2or3wheels

Reaction score
If its 4 stroke(no mixing gas and oil), you annont use this engine unless you get a transmissions and blah it would be better to buy a crapy lawn tractoe and rob the tran/rear end and motor off that.

tyler

Reaction score
the i'm taking an old tractor rear end off of it but i just need to put an engine on it
and i need it to be a pull start

thatoneguy

Reaction score
my friend built a one-and-a-half-seater go kart with a 3.5 horse briggs. It will only go 12 with two people in it, but it does 18 with one. Plus, it's pretty lightweight and only about eight inches long. but don't be expecting to look cool peeling out with a little engine like that.

tyler

Reaction score
the only thing is it is my first kart and i just want to build one then start to upgrade once i get to know stuff better

2or3wheels

Reaction score
i think look for an 8, theyre not much different from a 3 or a 5 and you would have better low end power allowing you to gear is slightly higher giving you a speed around 30 (thats on the high side.

Status
Not open for further replies.