Worst craigslist selling experience

Status
Not open for further replies.

Doc Sprocket

Reaction score
Oh, Jeez... That's insane! How old is this little turd? Where were his parents in all of this? AARRGGHH!

You shouldn't NEED a disclaimer. Are today's kids so danged bubblewrapped that they don't understand USED? Kid drop out of mommy with a silver spoon sticking out of his butt??? Seriously. You want perfect? You want warranty? Buy NEW, dummy!

Because that's what would have happened. The kid doesn't know how to use a pullstart- You know DANG well he was just RIPPING on it- so he would have brought it back to the store...

Then, he'd spend 15 minutes trying to start the replacement, and it wouldn't start because he's too much of a RETARD to fill the crankcase, or turn on the killswitch, and he'd bring THAT one back.

In fact, I can't help but wonder how many he'd return...

Sorry for your crappy experience, Matt- that bites. Can you put a "Bad Buyer" warning on CL???

Bluethunder3320

Reaction score
Oh, Jeez... That's insane! How old is this little turd? Where were his parents in all of this? AARRGGHH!

You shouldn't NEED a disclaimer. Are today's kids so danged bubblewrapped that they don't understand USED? Kid drop out of mommy with a silver spoon sticking out of his butt??? Seriously. You want perfect? You want warranty? Buy NEW, dummy!

Because that's what would have happened. The kid doesn't know how to use a pullstart- You know DANG well he was just RIPPING on it- so he would have brought it back to the store...

Then, he'd spend 15 minutes trying to start the replacement, and it wouldn't start because he's too much of a RETARD to fill the crankcase, or turn on the killswitch, and he'd bring THAT one back.

In fact, I can't help but wonder how many he'd return...

Sorry for your crappy experience, Matt- that bites. Can you put a "Bad Buyer" warning on CL???

hes 16! i showed him how to use the pull start properly, and i went over a lot of parts with him.

i was able to ride it a long time with no problems. even when i was riding it hard nothing ever broke.

You got to listen to your old man. But I would of made him come get his money.

youre right.. but the kid was so mad who knows what he would have done especially at my house

gvfc2

wishing i was living
Reaction score
yea you should have just told him to call the cops. they wouldnt have done anything. but you could have wrote a bill of sale stating " once the money is handed over and the bike is in second parties possession i am not reliable for any damage or misuse of the bike." and you sign and he signs. should do that for now on

Doc Sprocket

Reaction score
you could have wrote a bill of sale stating " once the money is handed over and the bike is in second parties possession i am not reliable for any damage or misuse of the bike." and you sign and he signs. should do that for now on

That's ridiculous. It's UNDERSTOOD that that's the case!

Bluethunder3320

Reaction score
yea you should have just told him to call the cops. they wouldnt have done anything. but you could have wrote a bill of sale stating " once the money is handed over and the bike is in second parties possession i am not reliable for any damage or misuse of the bike." and you sign and he signs. should do that for now on

its a good idea to write that, but i think it might stop a sale getting someone to think too much about it and think im trying to sell something broken to begin with.

i put in the ad,

No returns, No delivery. you can come and ride it to make sure it works before you buy it. I will show you how to use it, but you should have some mechanical ability to do simple things like change the oil. I do not want someone to buy it and have no clue how to work on it.

crazzywolfie

Reaction score
think of it as a learning experience. i learned from a friend that don't even waste your time delivering. idiots and cheap people will screw you out of time and money if they can. i know i had someone that wasted my time on a bicycle that i was only asking $20 for. the thing was drive able with straight rims except the 1 tire had a slow leak. the guy said he would take it for $15 but not $20 and he spent about 5 minutes looking the thing over. needless to say i ended up keeping the bike. i am never desperate to get rid of a bike. i can sit on it for a year or 2.

bighead

Reaction score
I drove 2 hours round trip to look at a nice Ody. When I got there the wheels were sunk about 6" into the dirt. I kicked it and shingles of rust fell off. I was told it was in very good condition. It had to be sitting in same spot for over 20 years. (coastal area) I offered the guy 10 cents and he got mad. I gave him a few words in a calm way and left.

He dam well knew how far I was driving.

gvfc2

wishing i was living
Reaction score
I drove 2 hours round trip to look at a nice Ody. When I got there the wheels were sunk about 6" into the dirt. I kicked it and shingles of rust fell off. I was told it was in very good condition. It had to be sitting in same spot for over 20 years. (coastal area) I offered the guy 10 cents and he got mad. I gave him a few words in a calm way and left.

He dam well knew how far I was driving.

that sucks never had anything bad happen with craigslist yet

bighead

Reaction score
that sucks never had anything bad happen with craigslist yet

I had a few but nothing that was huge waste of time.

CL has been good to me as a buyer. As seller it has been fair. Just lots of no shows. Most the people I meet are cool. I talk to some real clownes on the phone though.

I still love it though.

OzFab

Reaction score
its a good idea to write that, but i think it might stop a sale getting someone to think too much about it and think im trying to sell something broken to begin with.

i put in the ad,

No returns, No delivery. you can come and ride it to make sure it works before you buy it. I will show you how to use it, but you should have some mechanical ability to do simple things like change the oil. I do not want someone to buy it and have no clue how to work on it.

Don't give out your address, meet somewhere neutral near you. If you tell people where it lives, next thing you know it's been stolen

Doc Sprocket

Reaction score
It's really too bad that crap like this happens. I once had a guy drive for 90 minutes (1 way) to deliver something to me. I promised him that if he described it accurately, I would buy it upon his arrival- no questions, no haggling. And I did. He was relieved, go figure. I thanked him profusely for trusting me to keep my word.

Wouldn't it be great if THAT experience was normal/to be expected? Yet, many times something goes wrong, somebody has to be a twit- like my most recent experience-

When I was dealing for the donor tractor for my Weed Warrior project, we cut a deal on the phone. We settled on a price, on the agreement that the tractor was complete and running. Our meeting point was 40 minutes from my house, and about an hour from him. He was an hour late getting to our meeting point. Then, as he pulls up, I see there are no wheels on the tractor! Next, the RAGB has been removed. He had decided that since I had told him that I only really needed the engine for my project, he was going to save those parts for something else. Without telling me! Like really- you couldn't have called me and mentioned this? He managed to call me to tell me he was late, but didn't mention the missing goodies?

So I knocked the price down. I had drawn an extra $20 ABOVE the purchase price to give him as a goodwill gesture for saving me the extra driving, but I was too pissed off to give it to him. If he had told me on the phone, we could have renegotiated and everything would have been fine. I have rims, I would have only used the tires for mockup until I bought new rubber, and I was going to re-sell the RAGB to recoup a few bucks.

I loaded it up, went home, and discovered two other unadvertised flaws. The tethered kill switch was missing (it was there in the photos!), and the governor. He told me the governor was intact, but bypassed. Instead, the entire external governor linkage was missing, while the inside was intact. You all know how I feel about that. Idjit!

On the other hand, I still did pretty well. I paid $160 for the thing, and got

*18hp Briggs L-head opposed twin in good running condition (fired right up for me)
*engine pulley
*homebrew, not quite finished but decently made header/ 2-into-1 collector
*Premium aluminum go kart steering wheel (it was PERFECT under several layers of tape wrap
*1" kart axle
*Four 1" pillow blocks in mint condition
*45T #40 weld-on sprocket and hub in very good condition
*Vented brake rotor with aluminum kart hub
*homebrew but sturdy and well-built outrigger-style axle braces
*a decent mechanical brake caliper I can clean up and sell for a few dollars
and some other assorted little bits and peices.

I did get my money's worth for sure- but stuff like that really ticks me off!

CaptCanadia

Reaction score
I've had all good experiences on Cl *knock on wood*. Sometimes I think CL is a little too under-controlled. For example eBay has a review system to weed out the good and bad sellers and buyers. If CL could implement that I think we would have a lot less of these crazy experiences!

gvfc2

wishing i was living
Reaction score
Sometimes I think CL is a little too under-controlled. For example eBay has a review system to weed out the good and bad sellers and buyers. If CL could implement that I think we would have a lot less of these crazy experiences!

i think that too.

also there was this one time i was trying to sell a bike for 40. bought for 15 but but another 30 into it. after a couple days on craigslist it got stolen. it was well hidden too. they had to know it was where is was. i didnt have my address on criagslist. then a couple weeks later i see it 2 miles from my place with a homeless guy on it that looks like a druggy.

Bluethunder3320

Reaction score
wow, thats crazy. maybe the picture you had up made the area look familiar to someone?

heres some pics of the damage. bent foot peg from when he crashed it, and not sure how but the clutch slid out a little.

the pavement ripped the air filter a little

pull start is dented a little, rope wont go back in

how does this even happen?? i have never seen this before

gvfc2

wishing i was living
Reaction score
at the last pic... da f*ck? never seen that before.

maybe it did but the pic i had was of it leaning on my garage at night and couldnt see anything other than the garage

Bluethunder3320

Reaction score
at the last pic... da f*ck? never seen that before.

maybe it did but the pic i had was of it leaning on my garage at night and couldnt see anything other than the garage

could have been a coincidence that someone stole it while you had it listed. i live in an area where i thought nothing was ever stolen, i used to leave stuff out in the front all the time.

then i heard someone down the street got their laptop stolen out of their living room. they think it was the cable people or whoever they had over that day. but now im a little more careful with leaving stuff even though i live in a pretty good neighborhood

little billy

Reaction score
shoulda just told him you have no interest in buying his bike from him. Lesson learned, never offer test rides without money in hand, and if he breaks it, its his period. Should have told him to get bent. I had five grand in cash and the guys drivers liscense in my pocket when the guy who bought my bike rode it around a parking lot.

Bluethunder3320

Reaction score
yeah very true. i wanted to just say tough luck

someone called me earlier and asked me if it ran, and how much $. READ THE AD!

lazy people

i can find 2 problems here... one he asks if its "clutch"... its a mini bike. and doesnt firm mean firm?

its tough selling this bike. everything else i sold was easy.

Status
Not open for further replies.