Wire vs stick for spindle repair

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dat1Guy

Day1Guy
Reaction score
I've gone and broke my front driver's side spindle that holds the tire. My question is will a wire welder be strong enough to hold this together?

Another pic.

Attachments

• 20190818_083944.jpg
    20190818_083944.jpg
    311.2 KB · Views: 20
  • 20190818_083953.jpg
    20190818_083953.jpg
    301.6 KB · Views: 18

Kartorbust

Reaction score
As long as the metal is clean and your settings are correct, wire feed welding is strong for that repair. Though putting a bevel groove all around will help get more filler in there to make a stronger weld.

mckutzy

Reaction score
This is not so much about the method, as how good is your skill in the both...
If you can wire it better... then do so... if not smaw...

Dat1Guy

Day1Guy
Reaction score
Beginner.....I'll try it and if it fails I'll buy a new one. Nothing ventured nothing gained and I'll get a bit more experience with the welder.

anickode

Reaction score
If you're using a small welder (especially a 120v one), preheating the weld area with a torch (even a propane one) will help. Another thing that can help is to grind all the old weld material off and put a 1/4" chamfer on the spindle, then do a multi pass weld.

Edit: upon looking a little closer at the picture, it does appear that the base metal failed rather than the weld. Rewilding that piece back in to the same hole is more likely to fail again without reinforcement.

BullyBike

Reaction score
Flux core

Stick electrodes are flux core, and many entry level auto feed welders are also flux core (FCaw).
Generally FCaw has better penetration then solid core MIG or TIG wire.

Definately bevel the part to make a space to build a bead.
Spot it up and then run a thick weld around each side.
Maybe machine a collar and really strengthen that part, better than a new one that might break in a similar way!

Status
Not open for further replies.