Will just set screws hold a clutch

miniman

Reaction score
Will just set screws on the crank shaft hold a centrifugal clutch? The crank doesn't have a hole to bolt it down on the end so it looks like the set screws are my only option. Note there isn't a hole for the set screws to go into they just sit on the crank.

Its probably a simple question but I could not seem to find any solid info. And I really didn't want to try it just to have the fly off while riding.

Thanks!

Reaction score
I am not 100% sure if that will hold it, however I would not run mine that way. I would (if possible) drill/tap a 5/16 thread in there.

miniman

Reaction score
Thanks for the response. Makes sense, I was just curious if I could get away with it

mckutzy

Reaction score
You probably could... But the crank bolt is better assurance to retain it on higher speeds.....

itsid

Staff member
Reaction score
with a well aligned chain and sprocket the setscrews easily hold the clutch in place.
the chain alone is able to stop it from wandering off the crankshaft
(for an outboard mounted clutch)

the tiniest dimple on the crankshaft for the grub screw to grab into,
and it won't move at all.

Yes I agree, a head bolt is a good thing to have and if the crank is drilled and tapped, that's for sure what would be put in place,
but the grub screws do their job well.. no worries at all!

'sid

JTSpeedDemon

2019 Build Off Winner!
Reaction score
I run my clutch with no bolt on the end! Just set screws! Never had any problems, it actually makes it nice and easy to get off.

Colemanman

Reaction score
Youll be fine with the set screws, use some loctite to avoid having the set screws fly out. It happened to me before. If you can still use a crank bolt, use the bolt too. If the clutch hangs off the end of the crankshaft, space the clutch out with washers on the motor side and put the clutch on, then put washers that match the size of the inner bore of the clutch and stack washers on the bolt until the washers tighten against the crankshaft and not the clutch itself. That way your clucth will have a secondary way of keeping itself on the shaft and it wont move. Its just a little bit of extra security and piece of mind