Why Won't It Move

Status
Not open for further replies.

dkcampbell

New member
Messages
1
Reaction score
0
Hello fellow users, I'm new to the site, and looking for an answer. I have a Murray kart (explorer) that originally had a 6hp, Tecumseh power sport engine driving thru a torque converter to a chain sprocket to the axle. When I got the kart the torque converter/jack shaft was gone, it had a Honda GX160, 5.5hp engine on it, no clutch or throttle cable engine ended up being good, i bought a throttle cable and a cable mount kit for the engine, checked the engine with nothing on the crank, no clutch, nothing, and after adjusting the governor getting around 3600 +/- rpm no load and 850/900 rpm idle. I put on a new max torque clutch with a 10 tooth sprocket and 2200 engagement speed, new chain driving a 60 tooth axle sprocket all # 40. Ready to run, right, wrong. I start the engine with the cart propped up and push the throttle to full throttle, (by hand and pedal, the same way I checked the no load rpm earlier) wheels spin, engine revs to about 2000 to 2100 rpm spinning the wheels in the air, (partial load) all seems ok. I put the go kart down and my son hops on to try it out, and revs the motor, the kart kinda try,s to move but doesn't. Now I'm wondering why. Here's a few other important pieces of info, rear drive tires are 18/18.5 inches tall, my son, well he should have played HS football, 19 years old, 6'4" tall and 275/280 pounds. The [lace I bought the clutch seemed to be very sure with the 6 to 1 drive ratio on this kart the i would be fine without the torque convertor but 'm wondering. We are just looking to sell the kart intended use to be kids in the 10 to 16 range and probably 100 lbs lighter. Could his weight be the only problem? or what are your thoughts, jack-shaft, converter, any help is better then where I'm at now, and I would like to sell a good, dependable kart. thanks for all the upcoming answers.
 

landuse

Moderator
Staff member
Messages
18,798
Reaction score
602
Location
Pietermaritzburg, South Africa
Welcome to the forum. The reason why the kart is not moving is a combination of things, the most important being that you are geared too high for the 18" tyres that you have. This is compounded by the rider wight as well. For your scenario, you are going to have to gear lower, to about 7 or 8 to 1. This will cut the top speed, but you will at least be moving

A TC can handle higher gearing than a centrifugal clutch. That is why a 6:1 ratio would have been OK with a TC.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top