Why not use a centrifugal clutch

Status
Not open for further replies.

sdavisrt

Reaction score
I have a YerfDog frame that is in decent shape. The engine and clutch are gone. I want to make a cart for my 7 year old so I don't want it to go very fast. I want to use a centrifugal clutch (10 tooth) on a HF 6.5 hp driving a 25 tooth sprocket on the jackshaft reducing it to another 10 tooth sprocket driving the 40 tooth axle and 16 inch rear tires. If my calculations are correct it would go about 10 mph. Has anyone used this type of setup? What do you think?

Kenny_McCormic

Kartless....
Reaction score
That will be fine, it will climb/pull anything. Thats 17mph by the way, 1440 rpm at the jackshaft full throttle(3600rpm). You want somewhere between 68 and 72 on the axle for 10mph.

sdavisrt

Reaction score
Why use a 6.5hp engine if you only want it to go around 10mph? Perhaps downsize engine, and cut costs.

I have a HF 6.5 sitting around so it's cheaper than buying a new one. and in the future I would upgrade to the torque converter that it should have.

trails

dirtdemon...
Reaction score
i wish i had a clone layin around. sure would beat my 5horse tecumseh. but yes. with that setup, you could keep him in a cart until he turned 14 then get him a bigger engine. that 6.5 can make a lot of power by the way. good luck

Status
Not open for further replies.