• OFF TOPIC fun forum - NO politics - NO religion - NO jerks. It's not complicated. Thanks!

Why I Hate SOPA

Status
Not open for further replies.

redsox985

Reaction score
So, this morning, my mom was infuriated that she couldn't access her Microsoft Outlook web based email (something like mail.upmc.edu?? idk) because "Google isn't letting me connect". So I go to investigate. She said that it wouldn't work on Internet Explorer either "because it defaults to Google". This means she tried Google Chrome but it didn't work.

**Side Story here**
While filling out the FAFSA forms (Free Application for Federal Student Aid), an alert popped up saying the browser was incompatible. This threw her for a loop. I asked what browser she was using. She claimed she opened Google. Google Chrome? Internet Explorer and www.google.com? She had no idea and insists she opened "Google". I go take a look. She shows me a quick launch icon she clicked that's just the Google 3 color logo. The icon directly above that quick launch button is the Google Chrome icon. I tell her that FAFSA must not work with Google Chrome and I say to try IE. She asks if we have IE. Yes. Where can I find it? Start>All Programs>Internet Explorer.
There we go. She's all set up on IE to fill out her tax info. I come to check on her in 5 minutes and POOF! she's missing. I find her in another room on her work laptop on IE claiming that IE didn't work on the big computer. Whatever, I guess she completed it.

Anyways, flash forward to this morning, and she's claiming that Google, which has simply changed their logo, like they do daily, to a black box, is blocking her access to her Outlook based web server email. :confused: Sure it is. Because this screen immediately means Google is down and has the power to block your access to the University of Pittsburgh Medical Center's email server.

Well, now that I've tried it on both Chrome and IE, I figure from the error messages reading something something server connection: closed that it's a server issue and not SOPA or Google messing with us. Especially because today was only the decision date for SOPA. While in Chrome, as it's slowly trying to connect to the server, I open a new tab to show her that Google simply changed their logo, but was still functional. As I typed in Google she flipped out because it wasn't done connecting to her email...tabs mom, tabs. Look. It's all ok.

So I get curious now that she has twice confused Chrome with IE since they open the same homepage, after specifying that she must you IE at work and not Chrome, I ask her if she knows the difference between a website and a web browser. "...no? What are you talking about?" *facepalm* "Mom, a web browser is a program that allows you to connect to and browse the web, hence the name. A website is a place on the web that you access with a browser. All browsers aren't the same and this is why you had to use IE for the FAFSA form. The homepage has nothing to do with the browser. It only 'defaults' to Google because we have set that as our homepage. You know how you can change your homepage?" "I don't have time for this bull$#!+." And she storms off to go watch the news as she drinks coffee before work...right. And I'm trying to help you connect to your email in the 25 minutes between waking up and leaving for school.

And this is why I hate SOPA. Because it will now be the scapegoat for every internet related computer issue, despite the fact that other stuff goes wrong, such as servers being down at coincidental bad times. So, we achieve nothing other than SOPA and Google had it out for her this morning and didn't want her to see her email because regardless of your internet browser, Google has the ability to override that and become your "default", default what? I don't even know what she meant, because it's simply a website, but since it's your default, it can deny your access to email as it chooses. I didn't even want to explain that changing our homepage to www.mcdonalds.com wouldn't make a difference. Because then McDonalds would be blocking her access to email, since it was the "default" now.[/rant]

Something I concluded in Econ today while retelling this story to a computer literate friend and another who works customer service at a grocery store...
"One's people skills are directly related to their tolerance for stupidity." Not ignorance, because that can be fixed, but stupidity: the resistance to learn to change.

gvfc2

wishing i was living
Reaction score
but sopa isnt the cause... well it is but today was decided that it would be an internet blackout date to combat sopa and get them to stop the pass of the bill

HellSpawn

Reaction score
Yeah, this is just a protest that google is doing to show their anti-sopa support. If you go on to wikipedia, you'll find the same thing (You can't access anything on wiki though)

DustinWolfe

Reaction score
......... thats why you hate sopa? i think maybe you ought to read into this a little more theres far more than your mothers email server thats wrong with it.

redsox985

Reaction score
No. It was supposed to be a rant about her. I'm fully aware of what SOPA entails and ho even non-priacy sites can be shut down if a direct IP to a "piracy site" is posted on their domain. It's ridiculous and going too far in my opinion. The anti-piracy measures implemented now do catch people, a friend of mine was caught. I quite enjoy my copies of PhotoShop and AutoCAD. I have reaped the benefits of what SOPA is trying to kill. The costs of piracy to the industry are minimal in the broad scope. All that's required to close down a site would be one claim of piracy against them.

In case you missed the sarcasm embedded within, ranting about how something entirely non-SOPA affiliated caused me a headache, I apologize for the misunderstanding.

gvfc2

wishing i was living
Reaction score
sopa is us related. it stands for stop online piracy act. its a bill against piracy as you can tell. it can and will completly stop the us from accesing some sites. even some foreign sites it will block. in the us right now alot of sites have closed there does for the day and stopped all activity to stop the bill from being passed. i love being a pirate it does cost them money but a fraction of what they make. i too hate sopa and pipa

redsox985

Reaction score
It's main objective is to block non-domestic sites deemed guilty of pirate activity, actually. But it has the power to block domestic sites as well. Apparently, you can still connect directly though the site's IP address, but any blocked site will no longer come up in a web search. Additionally, say you were to post a like to The Pirate Bay on your Facebook wall. Facebook is required to remove that link or else they, too, risk being blocked in the US for allowing a link to a site, that's already blocked for piracy, being advertised on their site.

devino246

Official DIYGK Chem Nerd
Reaction score
The method of censorship the proposed bill would use involves blocking sites at the DNS level. The domain name server (DNS) takes your request for a domain name (say, youtube.com) and connects it to the proper IP address(one of which for youtube is 208.65.153.238). That's why you would still be able to access the site with the IP address.

H.R.3261 (SPOA)- Co sponsored by 30 US Representatives.
S.961 (PIPA)- Co sponsored by 40 US Senators. Floor vote is scheduled for Jan. 24th.

More about the two bills:
http://www.opencongress.org/bill/112-h3261/show
http://www.opencongress.org/bill/112-s968/show

fowler

Reaction score
**** it
If they close these sites them they won't work in aus either?

I think most the music download sites are US

As if the artists are not making a **** load of money already

I'd like to see them try to close Facebook or twitter
What happens if we post sites that have free stuff on here like free plans and drawing programes

devino246

Official DIYGK Chem Nerd
Reaction score
**** it
If they close these sites them they won't work in aus either?

I think most the music download sites are US

As if the artists are not making a **** load of money already

I'd like to see them try to close Facebook or twitter
What happens if we post sites that have free stuff on here like free plans and drawing programes

They can't actually close sites with these bills. Blocking sites at the DNS level just means that the domain name will no longer be linked to the IP address. Unless the US pressured other countries into complying, DNS's in other countries would likely continue to keep those domain-IP links in their caches, meaning foreigners would still be able to access...

sexyvicta

Reaction score
Sorry for the stupid question but this is not having any affect in Aussie land
What is SOPA

just wait and see. The USA already told our govt to change the laws to do with internet piracy. Prob used us as a test bed before they did it on home turf.

fowler

Reaction score
i rekon if they do that then the labor govnment will be out :wai:
ill lose some sites if it means julia gets kicked out

old Johnny howard was kicked out for doing as the us wanted and he was a much better leader

EDIT

from what i get from the vidio is they what to drain the lake to catch the fish
yes they will catch the bad guy but kill everything else in the proccess and have big roll on effects

devino246

Official DIYGK Chem Nerd
Reaction score
That's an excellent explanation. I don't know why they don't think the current laws aren't enough. I found someone on Facebook using my site's logo in a manner I didn't like and after contacting FB, the image was taken down within 3 days.

shakey0818

Reaction score
They will never stop piracy.If they didnt charge so much to buy a movie or to see in in the thearters i would stop downloading movies and stuff.Why pay big money and sit in a thearter when i can see it the day it comes out right at home.

Badot

Reaction score
The whole thing is pretty messed up, but if it's only blocking websites on the DNS level SOPA won't have much effect for those who actually know how to use the internet. Everyone on the internet is waaaaay too powerful to be taken down by the government, especially one as stupid as ours.

Within 10 minutes of the announcement of SOPA passing there will probably already be 20 websites up listing the IP addresses of popular sites which may become blocked, with a big "THIS PAGE IS AT <INSERT IP>, BOOKMARK US" --> problem negated.

The next step from there would be someone will probably compile all of that to a database and make a toolbar where you type in the address and it automatically pulls the IP from the old DNS name and sends you there.

Then the next step --> browsers will have this feature integrated into themselves, whether by user addons, or the browser companies themselves. Type in an address and you get a SOPA blocked this crap page? Automatically search previously mentioned database, and if they find the website in there automatically redirect. This'll seamlessly and thoughtlessly make SOPA obselete for practically everyone. "Pirate" websites will just have to maintain the matching DNS domain so people can't exploit the difference, and I'm sure there will be some code to place on the DNS web page developed to automatically throw the browser out of DNS mode and redirect to the "pirate" site.

Over time, we'll esentially have a second DNS developed. New websites come up, we'll need ways to give them names. Whoever maintained the most prolific database of pre-ban sites will probably do this. Where the previous database would have probably had to be ad supported on a redirect, this one will charge people rates to have their name added or maintained.

DNS will begin to become phased out --> as technology advances, websites will have more and more ways for users to interact (and more and more for websites to be responsible for/control)... they'll just go straight to the "new DNS" to not have the liability.

Next, DNS is phased out and archaic, internet goes back to the way it was before.

Problem?

The concept is stupid, and how they're going about doing it is stupid. Given the obviously easy ways to bypass it, even if it does go through it won't make much of a real difference except immediately before everything new pops up.

redsox985

Reaction score
The fact that it's only a DNS block will not get the moderate pirate. If you have the know-how to pirate software, you have the know-how to connect to an IP address. The problem may be getting that IP address, but once found, it'll stop no one. The only "positive" (in their eyes) effect that may come from it is the closure of Lime/Frostwire and similar programs used by the common pirate (A.K.A. nearly everyone) for music.

Status
Not open for further replies.