• OFF TOPIC fun forum - NO politics - NO religion - NO jerks. It's not complicated. Thanks!

Whoops!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Doc Sprocket

Reaction score
2 pics= 2000 words... Yes, I took these photos today, and no- that's not me getting damp...
:lolgoku:

Attachments

• whoops2.jpg
    whoops2.jpg
    85.2 KB · Views: 30
  • whoops1.jpg
    whoops1.jpg
    181.8 KB · Views: 28

machinist@large

Reaction score
2 pics= 2000 words... Yes, I took these photos today, and no- that's not me getting damp...
:lolgoku:

AH, the beauty of a snorkel... Gives a whole new meaning to the term "water coole engine" :lolgoku:

:eek::smiley_omg::ack2:Uhhh, Fab? That tractor doesn't have a snorkel; that black pipe is strictly :)surrender::oops:) the exhaust..... :censored::mad2:

So, Chris, did he make it out under his own power? Or did you have to break out the purple stole and the Holy Water and administer Last Rites?.?....

:popcorn::popcorn::bannana::bannana:

Doc Sprocket

Reaction score
Good call, Pat- Its a Zen-Noh- A chinese Yanmar knockoff. No, it doesn't have a snorkel, no he didn't make it out on his own. I had to whip out the ol' Ford 575 (I'll snap a pic later) that I use for clearing my driveway. The intake didn't quite drown, it did stay running the entire time.

The back story- I was goofing off with the UTLTV at the front of the pond in a muddy area, shooting some video sequences. My buddy had just done some work to his tractor (including new tires) and was taking it for a run. He came over to see what I was doing, and to show off a bit, he backed into the pond a bit, and drove out. I said "that woulda made a great picture!" So he offered to do it again with the camera rolling... LOL...

This time, he found a rut or a little dropoff and just couldn't quite make it out. He said part of the problem was the cooling fan was propellering in the water and robbing a lot of power.

After he got it back, he started pulling corks (on my advice) and found a bit of water in the engine oil, and a ton of water in the differentials and transmission. As you can imagine, all the vents were submerged for about 10 minutes or so.

Doc Sprocket

Reaction score
Tempting fate. Definitely. The last time he tempted fate in such a way, I wrote it up and got the ENTIRE back page of that month's "Peterson's 4-Wheel And Offroad" magazine...LOL

Doc Sprocket

Reaction score
That sounds like something we need a scan of... :popcorn:

I'll need some time on that. I bought 5 copies of the magazine so I could keep one good, read another and give a few away. I'll have to dig...

Here's a shot of the 1975 Ford 535 I used to haul buddy out of the drink:

Attachments

• ford535.jpg
    ford535.jpg
    129.1 KB · Views: 12

machinist@large

Reaction score
Uhhh......

I'll need some time on that. I bought 5 copies of the magazine so I could keep one good, read another and give a few away. I'll have to dig...

Here's a shot of the 1975 Ford 535 I used to haul buddy out of the drink:

:funnypost::kewlsmiley::lolgoku:

That's an awfully big bucket for that small of tractor; it looks like someone extended it for snow removal? Fill it with dirt or gravel and the front end will probably go "POP".:oops::surrender:

Please, please, show us the magazine; I want to see that particular "WOOPS"!!!!!!

:cheers2::thumbsup::popcorn: Pat

Doc Sprocket

Reaction score
Yeah- if I get a good load on it, the arse-end will begin to leave the ground. The mechanicals are up to the task, and so are the hydraulics, but counterbalance is another issue. I've got a bunch of steel scrap in the box on the back. It helps some, and the tires are calcium-filled.

See the blotch of blue paint on the right-hand lift arm? I welded up a big crack last year...

Doc Sprocket

Reaction score
By popular demand- The back page of the November 2002 issue of Peterson's 4-Wheel And Off Road magazine... Incidentally, for those not yet in the know- "toystory_4wd" emanates from those days- Toyota Stories, as were were chronicling our misadventures on a long-gone website...

Attachments

• 4whoops3.jpg
    4whoops3.jpg
    166.7 KB · Views: 22

machinist@large

Reaction score
By popular demand- The back page of the November 2002 issue of Peterson's 4-Wheel And Off Road magazine... Incidentally, for those not yet in the know- "toystory_4wd" emanates from those days- Toyota Stories, as were were chronicling our misadventures on a long-gone website...

:funnypost::kewlsmiley::lolgoku:

:huh: I had a subscription at that time; how did I miss this particular edition of "WHOOPS"? Definitely a classic, that's for sure (maybe not the sinking itself, but the storytelling? Oh yeah!!). The only one that I can remember that tops that one for the telling was one sent in by an American tank driver in Germany describing the ordeal of having a German Army officer as his tank commander for a training exercise; The photo was of an M1A2 battle tank mired in a creek with only the TRACKS breaking the surface........ It had bad day written all over the article........:surrender::oops:

:cheers2::thumbsup::popcorn:

rmm727

Reaction score

I remember reading that article. ol

Status
Not open for further replies.