Who knows sumpthin bout billet crankcase covers?

Whitetrashrocker

Inmate #952016
Reaction score
It might have to do with it being inside out. The webbing is on the outside, right? That whould change a few internal dimensions for a counter balance and starter alignment.

Master Hack

Reaction score
Starter bolts to the block on the opposite side. The starter motor is shorter than the block is wide.
i can't see any reason it won't work. Someone smarter than me knows the answer.

Rat

Reaction score
No place for the starter to bolt on to?
Starter bolts to the block, generally speaking either to the rear under the fuel tank on the flywheel side, or behind the flywheel itself... NEVER in the cover

Rat

Reaction score
It might have to do with it being inside out. The webbing is on the outside, right? That whould change a few internal dimensions for a counter balance and starter alignment.
Idk about counter balance, but there is nothing I can figure that would prohibit a starter because all of the mounting, goes flywheel side. I have never even seen one that uses any type of tail support for the starter... which in theory would go to on of the cover studs.

I've made a tail support once because the stupid starter kept kicking loose, but it's definitely not standard issue or practice.

bob58o

SuckSqueezeBangBlow
Reaction score
ARC had pretty good customer service if you call. I know Jody Powell has a video on installation (for small blocks) but no clue if he discusses the 390/420 or their counter balances / starter motor.

bob58o

SuckSqueezeBangBlow
Reaction score
Does the new cover not have an bushing hole for the shaft tip? I see one insertion point on this side cover for what I guess is the camshaft.
IMG_6040.jpegIMG_6042.jpegIMG_6043.jpeg

Last edited:

Thepartsguy

Reaction score
Does the new cover not have an bushing hole for the shaft tip? I see one insertion point on this side cover for what I guess is the camshaft.
View attachment 147381View attachment 147382View attachment 147385
It is not a bushing cam side cover it is a cam bearing side cover. Otis would take standard tiller coolbore 5hp blocks and WELD in a cam bearing. That way both ends of the camshaft and both ends of the crankshaft would ride in bearings.196AD13C-D5C8-4ABA-A661-0CB7F27D6B72.png

bob58o

SuckSqueezeBangBlow
Reaction score
How about the counteweight shaft? Where do that go? The question was about why the counterweight balance is not to be used.
It is not a bushing cam side cover it is a cam bearing side cover. Otis would take standard tiller coolbore 5hp blocks and WELD in a cam bearing. That way both ends of the camshaft and both ends of the crankshaft would ride in bearings.View attachment 147386

Thepartsguy

Reaction score
Well, I can live without the counter balance shaft. but not the electric starter.
Looks like a phone call is in order.
They just starting making wind up crank starters like the old briggs 5hp engines Had for 212cc predators. I’m not sure if they would fit the bigger gx series or not but i guess it is kind of like an e-start. Maybe the closest you will get if that phone call doesn’t work out.B452D9D8-6E53-4D88-AE2F-5DB2FEA61481.jpeg

Denny

Canned Monster
Reaction score
They get rid of the balance shaft in the engine for several reasons. Cut down on windage, less drag and rotating mass. But you get to rebalance the engine. It still will be a little rougher though.

bob58o

SuckSqueezeBangBlow
Reaction score
On a 420cc I have seen RedBeard put on the billet side cover and the electric starter motor. Not sure the if you are using a 390 or a 420.

I am a fan of his conrod paper towel holder.
IMG_6047.jpegIMG_6048.jpeg

Master Hack

Reaction score
390. and it looks like that. So the "alleged issue" is not clearance. Exactly as I thought.
I see no reason why it will not work.

Anything other than the red "start" button on the dash is not an option. Its a process (even for the kids) to get in and out of this thing.

Rat

Reaction score
390. and it looks like that. So the "alleged issue" is not clearance. Exactly as I thought.
I see no reason why it will not work.

Anything other than the red "start" button on the dash is not an option. Its a process (even for the kids) to get in and out of this thing.
Some engines just don't play nicely with the rip cord either lmao.

My 208 screwed my shoulder up for a week, and it wasn't from kicking back

Big Bob

Reaction score
l can't figger out what the cover has to do with with the starter motor. ARC says this:

Not designed to be used with counter balance or electric starter

Looks to me there is plenty of clearance. Anyone tried that combination?

I have a Duromax 440 with that exact cover. No starter problem. The Duromax uses lots of the same parts as the 390. It's a clone like the Predator 420. I got rid of the counter balancer. I can't really tell the difference. I assume being you are looking at a billet side cover you have other mods as well. If you put in a Billet rod it'll hit the counter balancer. Make sure to remove the bearing on the flywheel side as without the balancer in it could possibly fall out which would be certain Armageddon of the high degree.

Master Hack

Reaction score
I have a Duromax 440 with that exact cover. No starter problem. The Duromax uses lots of the same parts as the 390. It's a clone like the Predator 420. I got rid of the counter balancer. I can't really tell the difference. I assume being you are looking at a billet side cover you have other mods as well. If you put in a Billet rod it'll hit the counter balancer. Make sure to remove the bearing on the flywheel side as without the balancer in it could possibly fall out which would be certain Armageddon of the high degree

I can't see a reason why the starter wouldn't work. Did you replace the bolts that hold the cover on with studs?
I reed to mill out 3 broken metricated studs, so I plan on rethreading the holes for 3/8 and using studs.
Yeah It has all the mods except the billet cover. It makes too much power for the puny cover. I can tell ya the "cover flex" is real. This is the second time it came apart. I'm tired of hot oil on the back of my neck.
I plan on running the CVT plate in a "divorced" configuration as also.

I plan on removing the balance shaft as well. I have not had any clearance problems with the ARC rod and balance shaft.
Thanks for the input/tips

Last edited: